Job Network
Sponsored by

Resume Opinions

2,919 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After securing a first full time job, what are some of the adjustments that need to be made to a resume? Essentially transitioning from the resume of a college student to a young professional with applicable experience? Any tips would be great!
BeastmodeAg
AG
Get James Shelly to professionally write it for you.
The mans a genius.

Some tips are to get rid of anything that's high school related, also make sure your resume doesn't make you out to be a jack of all trades.. back your resume up with numbers.
Synopsis
I'm a long-time writer and I looked up this Shelly guy. It appears like he knows his Ps and Qs. Well worth a little money to invest in someone like him. And no, I'm NOT him nor do I know the guy.
78bc3
AG
dont just tell what you did; help them see the business reason why you did it and show results or impact. Also showcase technical skills. http://www.aggienetwork.com/careers/resumewriting.aspx
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
ktownag08
AG
Continue to keep it to one page!

Avoid filler sentences.

Don't put in your job description, put in accomplishments. Pet peeve of mine.

Nothing against Mr.Shelley and others, but I've never used a professional resume service and haven't had any issues getting a good job with my resume so don't feel like it's a must. Use your network, a mentor, and peers to get feedback.
Ragoo
AG
How do you keep it to one page with frequently changing roles and responsibilities?

Someone mentioned to keep your resume from looking like a "jack of all trades". I think my resume has this problem because i have frequently carried multiple responsibilities at a time. For instance being a manager for a team/organization but also working as an individual contributor due to workload needs. Listing just the manager role makes my resume look like I skipped or did not accumulate many years of the day to day grunt work experience.
JamesPShelley
ktownag08 said:

Continue to keep it to one page!

Avoid filler sentences.

Don't put in your job description, put in accomplishments. Pet peeve of mine.

Nothing against Mr.Shelley and others, but I've never used a professional resume service and haven't had any issues getting a good job with my resume so don't feel like it's a must. Use your network, a mentor, and peers to get feedback.

With all due respect.

I've a recent client's original 5 page resume. I would welcome the opportunity to share it with you, absent personally identifiable information. I'm most interested in how you would go about culling it by 80%, while still qualifying the candidate. Reach out.
ktownag08
AG
The keep it to one page comment was directed towards the OP that indicated securing their first full time job not a seasoned professional with many years of experience and multiple roles.
JamesPShelley
Duly noted.
Ulrich
Nothing from high school, and college should be pretty small. Take your GPR off and only have very significant achievements/extracurriculars.

As others mentioned, keep it as short as is practical to tell your story. Pregraduation stuff was first to go for me; when i was applying 6.5 years out of school I only mentioned my last internship because I ran a relatively substantial project and I wanted that evidence of early responsibility. I'll probably scrap that next time around.

Aside from that, I have a note that mentions "additional experience through 2003 available" because some people like knowing that an applicant worked their way through high school and college. It's part of my story, but at this point no one cares what equipment I operated or merchandise I sold.

Think about what you want to do as you select your phrasing. I'm a bit of a generalist because I have switched industries, departments, and did a turn through ops between analytical roles, but when I'm applying for jobs I edit to emphasize how each experience supports my ability to perform the new role.

When you're done, set the thing aside for a week, then when your brain is fresh print it out and look for grammatical mistakes. The people reviewing your resume will laugh at every single one.
OldSoully
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

Ulrich you have always provided extremely helpful advice and insight, and for that I want to say thanks! I think you deserve a few drinks on me!

cjo03
AG
JamesPShelley said:

I've a recent client's original 5 page resume. I would welcome the opportunity to share it with you, absent personally identifiable information. I'm most interested in how you would go about culling it by 80%, while still qualifying the candidate. Reach out.

Curious.. what type of position warrants a 5 page resume? One-pagers are tough/rare for experienced hires. But I rarely make it past a 2nd page of a resume. Usually have a pretty solid idea if I'd like to proceed with an interview early into page 2.
JamesPShelley
cjo03 said:

JamesPShelley said:

Curious.. what type of position warrants a 5 page resume? One-pagers are tough/rare for experienced hires. But I rarely make it past a 2nd page of a resume. Usually have a pretty solid idea if I'd like to proceed with an interview early into page 2.
No position warrants a 5 page resume. Those would be client originals... submitted to me. At that many pages why even invite you for an interview? If I were considering the document, as a hiring recipient, I could make my mind up yay/neigh right there. You, as the candidate, don't want that.

You want an interview.

I find that the technical personalities have the lengthiest original documents, and I have been on the receiving end of 5... 6... 7 + pagers..

Happy New Year!
Gooder Poster
AG
Maybe we can get this thread back on track for the OP.

I'm not a professional resume reviewer, but I've hired people before and I'm glad to take a look. Always good to have thoughts and suggestions.

Email me at surveillancevantexags at gmail if you're interested
surveillancevantexags at gmail
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm in a position where I can solicit new resumes for entry level and entry level +1 or 2 years for scientific positions in a consulting field as well as support roles (GIS - admin asst.)

This last post by James is spot on. I get that a 5 page resume maybe the best way you can tell your story, but that's not the way I need to hear your story. It needs to get to me in a much quicker more efficient manner.

You'll need to condense work experience if it's spread out all over the place into a narrative instead of creating 5 short paragraphs that are spaced so the formatting looks good.

I'm fine with a 2-3 page resume but if you can get it down to 1 page, and the 2nd page is "extra" stuff, that by the end of the first page I WANT to read. You're gonna get called in for an interview.
cjo03
AG
To be clear, I prefer a 1-2 page compelling story. I think I misunderstood the 80% comment above - I thought it was implying sometimes 5 pagers are necessary.
Ulrich
You're very welcome! I hope some of my thoughts are as helpful as the advice I've received from others over the years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.