Job Network
Sponsored by

boots with a suit

5,657 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NoHo Hank
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a nice pair of black boots that I can wear with a suit. Should I wear them to a job interview? or stick to traditional shoes?

The Pilot
AG
if it were me, i'd stick with traditional shoes
E
AG
Normal looking boots with a suit are fine, but dont wear any type of fancy "skin" boots. You'll look like a d-bag.
Jules_Winnfield
Duly noted! Thanks for the advice, I got them as a 30 yr bday present and usually just wear them to wedding or places that won't mess then up.

I'll sick to traditional shoes
aunuwyn08
AG
I highly recommend a pair of black 5th or Park Avenue Allen Edmonds with a navy or charcoal suit. If you're interview is policy related then wear a neutral tie or one that corresponds to the partisanship of the organization.
Jules_Winnfield
not policy related but i do have a pair of black hudson shoes that I plan on wearing. nothing flashy

BTD
Well do you want the job? If so, save the boots for another day.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Save the boots for after you get the job.

But I do wear my Luchassee boots with my suite quite often.
jaggiemaggie
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

I highly recommend a pair of black 5th or Park Avenue Allen Edmonds with a navy or charcoal suit. If you're interview is policy related then wear a neutral tie or one that corresponds to the partisanship of the organization.

Currently on sale!
Greeze06
AG
Wear the boots.
BBDP
AG
Boots in Texas are always fine.

I can't believe this is even a question!
07&09Ag
I get the question but for any type of job I would be interviewing for, if wearing a $500 pair of boots over a $100 pair of "dress shoes" costs me the job then I feel I'm better off in the long run not working there.
Greeze06
AG
100% agree
BrazosDog02
AG
I wear boots with slacks or suits. I don't compromise on that. It's part of who I am and if it bugs an employer at that time, then I need to know because I don't own "dress shoes" and have no intention of ever owning any.

But if you don't always wear boots or its not part of you, you may want to leave them at home. Hope that doesn't come off wrong. I thik the ones in you pic would definitely be on my short list for an interview.
helloag99
I was told long ago that in Texas you can wear boots in any work situation including an interview. Also you can drink a beer in Texas in any social situation (where alcohol is consumed) and fit in.
Chipotlemonger
AG
nimrodag99 said:

Also you can drink a beer in Texas in any social situation (where alcohol is consumed) and fit in.

.....what?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wear what you're comfortable in (professional attire). I've never bought into wearing neutral colors, etc. Its okay to show a little personality if that's who you are.
Jules_Winnfield
BrazosDog02 said:

I wear boots with slacks or suits. I don't compromise on that. It's part of who I am and if it bugs an employer at that time, then I need to know because I don't own "dress shoes" and have no intention of ever owning any.

But if you don't always wear boots or its not part of you, you may want to leave them at home. Hope that doesn't come off wrong. I thik the ones in you pic would definitely be on my short list for an interview.

I get what you're saying and it does not come off wrong
BrazosDog02
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Wear what you're comfortable in (professional attire). I've never bought into wearing neutral colors, etc. Its okay to show a little personality if that's who you are.

I got to agree here too. My opinion is that I want to do everything I can to NOT be just another guy in the pool....within reason of course.
jja79
AG
BBDP said:

Boots in Texas are always fine.

I can't believe this is even a question!

He might be in Houston or Dallas though which isn't really Texas.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I agree if wearing nice boots over dress shoes costs me the job, I shouldn't work there. I work at a large accounting firm and would wear boots
PincheDriller
AG
Wear the boots. One place I worked at the VP saw my boots and was one thing we could talk about during interview. Set me apart from crowd. Most the guys at work wore them with slacks and button down. Just like others said if it costs you the job then don't work there.
Goose06
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

nimrodag99 said:

Also you can drink a beer in Texas in any social situation (where alcohol is consumed) and fit in.

.....what?

Believe it or not, there are social events where everyone is drinking and no one is drinking beer. Pretty damn often this has happened in my career, particularly when I was in investment banking and consulting. Wine, champagne, scotch, etc.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Not sure about industry, company, or culture, but those things matter.

We buy a pair of boots for our new hires. Never had someone who didn't appreciate that.

My boots often set me apart in places like D.C. Clients seem to appreciate it. But I agree with those saying you should be yourself. If there's a story behind the boots (and there should always be a story), even better.
C5Aggie03
AG
Captoe shoes go with a suit. Don't wear the boots to the interview, it'll make you look like a redneck.
powerbelly
AG
Are you hiring?
AggieArchitect04
AG
Always tailor your dress to your audience.
TAMUallen
AG
You go gator boots if your personality AND results can match the over the top badass look. Otherwise go with a smooth boot just to say "IDGAF I'm from Texas"
TAMUallen
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Not sure about industry, company, or culture, but those things matter.

We buy a pair of boots for our new hires. Never had someone who didn't appreciate that.

My boots often set me apart in places like D.C. Clients seem to appreciate it. But I agree with those saying you should be yourself. If there's a story behind the boots (and there should always be a story), even better.

This is spot on. My business is pretty millenial and hip. It blows their mind that I could wear a blazer, slacks and boots. They'd prefer a tshirt, jeans and sneakers. Wearing a tie makes their heads explode.

Everytime we meet with out of state clients, they eat it up!
Average Joe
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

This. When I interviewed for the sys admin job I have now I didn't wear a jacket because it was 115 outside. The director and COO joked about me wearing a tie and said I don't need to dress so fancy.
OregonAggie
AG
Average Joe said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

This. When I interviewed for the sys admin job I have now I didn't wear a jacket because it was 115 outside. The director and COO joked about me wearing a tie and said I don't need to dress so fancy.

I've had the same situation and my response was that I wanted to make sure they knew I was serious about the position so I dressed the part.

Regarding boots to an interview, I would do it. I'm a pharma rep and I wore boots to my interviews and I'm offered plenty of jobs. It's who I am and I'm not changing that. I get compliments pretty often in Dallas about wearing boots to work but it's a normal site when I visit East and West Texas offices.
TxAgg07
AG
George W. Bush wore boots with a suit everyday in the Oval Office. If it is suitable for the the White House, it is suitable anywhere.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Best advice here.
AgLA06
AG
Unthought Known said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Best advice here.

The few times I've tailored my approach to be what someone else else wanted, I've always regretted it. It's easy for one interview and only got me frustration every day until I found a better fit.
Rudyjax
AG
AgLA06 said:

Unthought Known said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Best advice here.

The few times I've tailored my approach to be what someone else else wanted, I've always regretted it. It's easy for one interview and only got me frustration every day until I found a better fit.

Dress not approach. .
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.