Job Network
Sponsored by

Plant Operator / Process Technology

2,187 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SidetrackAg
SidetrackAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a distant relative that is thinking about getting an Associates in Process Technology so he can become a plant operator. He has some doubt because he has also been told that the market is saturated with people who have that degree, and that plants have moved more towards people with Bachelors degrees. I have no idea what they look for in candidates so I figured I'd ask y'all here on the job network. What say you TexAgs?
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
PTECH definitely doesn't hurt. Yes there are tons of them out there now, but the industry is saturated with candidates in general because of the oilfield being down, not just PTECHs. You have 8k ppl. applying for 20-30 positions, and most plants will only hire once a year.

Prior military is a plus, along with any industrial experience. Best thing to do is get on with a contractor in the plants and get plant experience that way. Or go to school for I&E, they hire for them a lot and not as competitive.
SidetrackAg
AG
Thanks for the reply. I'll pass that info on to him the next time I talk to him. Is I&E a 2 year degree?
bigbass1170
AG
Seconded for I&E. My brother went that route and found a job pretty easy and is making good money. I think it's a 2 year
bonfarr
AG
My dad taught the Associates course in a JC for years. It was one of the most popular fields at the college and classes were always maxed.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
valvemonkey91
AG
Look for a JC Athat has an alliance with some of the surrounding industry. I know Exxon and ChevronPhillips work with Lee College and San Jac. Lamar University also has a good placement program. Not sure about College of the Mainland or Alvin CC
SidetrackAg
AG
Thanks for the responses, guys. Will definitely pass this info on.
bonfarr
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

Look for a JC Athat has an alliance with some of the surrounding industry. I know Exxon and ChevronPhillips work with Lee College and San Jac. Lamar University also has a good placement program. Not sure about College of the Mainland or Alvin CC

Victoria College is where my dad used to teach, they also receive funding and have affiliations with plants and producers.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Ronnie
AG
The plants aren't moving toward hiring bachelors over ptech degrees for operators or other hourly positions, so whoever told you that is wrong.

There will always be an advantage for moving up to those with more education. Getting a foot in the door or meeting the requirements doesn't give bachelors degrees an advantage. Previous plant experience usually trumps a degree or certificate program.

As always, those who move up are the high performing good workers and if you've got a bachelors as a technician and the other guy has a certificate or associates that's only a tie break if all other things are equal. Bachelors degree will afford more opportunities depending on the company as internal jobs open if that's a prerequisite, as long as it's in a good science field.

So the question for your far removed relative is, are you going to be a happy hourly employee for the rest of your career? Or do you want to use the open door into a chemical company as a springboard to another job? Many companies offer education assistance once you are onboard to get your bachelors, so you don't have to make the choice right away.
Rusty GCS
AG
I'm a Maintenance Coordinator for Operations at a chemical plant. In the area I'm in the best way to get hired as an operator is prior operator experience and/or a PTech degree. A bachelors helps if you want to become a supervisor eventually.

The benefit of getting an I/E degree is it's a maintenance job that is M-F. Operators work Canadian shift in general so you work some nights and weekends but do have a lot of days off.
Madaman
Shift work is soul sucking
Rusty GCS
AG
Takes years off your life too if you believe the studies
FabricatorAg
Rusty GCS said:

I'm a Maintenance Coordinator for Operations at a chemical plant. In the area I'm in the best way to get hired as an operator is prior operator experience and/or a PTech degree. A bachelors helps if you want to become a supervisor eventually.

The benefit of getting an I/E degree is it's a maintenance job that is M-F. Operators work Canadian shift in general so you work some nights and weekends but do have a lot of days off.

As former control room operator who has switched fields to I&E, this guy is telling you the truth. My first year as an operator I made 98k at 21 years old, but absolutely hated the schedule. Took me six months to get used to the sleep schedule and it wasn't worth the money to me any longer as I was burned out in a couple of years.

Of course I'm a hands on and active person, either field is great right now. I took the time once oil prices slipped to go back and get my associates in I&E. There is lots of money to be made once prices get back up closer to 70 bucks a barrel and the flood gates open on hiring.
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
FabricatorAg
I had several buddies who were contractors at EOG for automation with me, two in particular both had the associates and started their newest jobs after leaving EOG at 37.00 and 34.00 dollars an hour with their degree and two years experience. That's with a pipeline company though, not a petrochem plant.
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
SidetrackAg
AG
Thanks for all of the info, guys!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.