Job Network
Sponsored by

2 Weeks Notice Advice

6,158 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by thaed137
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back story:

Was laid off almost 12 months ago. About 4 months ago I took a job to keep the wolves away, and have never been real satisfied and continued to look for a way to resume my career.

Today:
I accepted a job that will resume my career and I am very excited about the new position. I have signed an offer letter and they need to do a background check, drug test, education and previous work confirmation prior to starting. None of this concerns me outside my previous boss having a tendency to talk negatively about previous employees.

So brings me to my question. Having been through a number of mergers and layoffs in my young career I am nervous about timing my 2 weeks notice prior to the new job being an absolute done deal. Should I give 2 weeks ASAP to start the next chapter or wait for everything to be finalized?

"I'll hang up and listen."
I Am A Critic
Wait until it's a done deal.
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Absolutely wait until everything is completed and they have confirmed your hiring.
zooguy96
+1 Wait. I'm in my fall-back position right now (which will probably be my retirement position.. unfortunately) and I wouldn't do anything until I had the paperwork signed, sealed, and delivered.
chjoak
AG
Wait.

Seen far too many people screw themselves by making decisions (put in notice, make big purchase based on new salary, etc...) before the ink was dry.
AG
Wait
OnlyForNow
AG
I'd wait, giving two weeks notice to your current employer is a really nice luxury that is not a requirement.

If you're willing to not worry about potentially burning that bridge, wait and then quit.
fightingfarmer09
Wait it is.
TMF
AG
You must watch out for you and only you first. You owe nothing to the companies. You might burn a bridge if you have to leave after 1 week, but you and they are not obligated to give two weeks. Hope it works out.
HBCanine08
AG
TMF said:

You must watch out for you and only you first. You owe nothing to the companies. You might burn a bridge if you have to leave after 1 week, but you and they are not obligated to give two weeks. Hope it works out.
fightingfarmer09
TMF said:

I've been burned early in my career by being loyal and not putting me first. Sadly it has made me a little jaded. Thanks for the advice.
JamesPShelley
TMF said:

True that. Always consider yourself first. It took me a long time to really understand that a company was made up of people looking to advance their own agendas. Employers won't think twice about leading you to the door the same day you produce your notice.

Wait until the ink dries. Be in charge of your own agenda.
AggieStout
AG
I'm in a similar boat. Just took my drug test today. I was planning on putting in my two weeks tomorrow. I have no reason anything would happen before my start date as June 5th. But all y'all saying to wait, maybe I should also wait it out some till next week
AgResearch
AG
AggieStout said:

I'm in a similar boat. Just took my drug test today. I was planning on putting in my two weeks tomorrow. I have no reason anything would happen before my start date as June 5th. But all y'all saying to wait, maybe I should also wait it out some till next week
Our company (large) tells all hires to not tender a two week until you got an "all clear" from our HR. Don't want anyone to get in a bind if something strange happens or there's a delay in screening procedures.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
That former employer that bad mouths former employee's is opening him and his company to a huge lawsuit. He better have documented proof that a former employee was incompetent.

To be safe a former employer should never give out anything more than time employed and whether you would rehire the former employee......and again.....you better have documented proof ie stole money, left with less than giving a two week notice etc

I am retired now but I would never expect a new hire to leave his job to come to work for me with less than a two week notice unless his former company allowed it.

Stay where you are at until you get the offer. Give them two weeks notice and perhaps they may let you leave early.

Your present company threw you a life jacket when you were drowning in unemployment.

The classy move would be to honor your commitment.

AggieMainland
Commitment? What commitment? There are no contracts. If they didn't want him he'd be out the door the next day. There is no commitment here.

Life vest? You are making it seem like a charity. Employment is a two way street. He needed a job. They needed an employee. There was no life vest.

Classy move? Maybe they should have been a better employer where employees didn't want to jump ship. That would have been classy.

But I'm a millennial and we'll have different points of view.
OnlyForNow
AG
I mean, in torn between the two. I think the "respectable" thing to do is offer up your two weeks once you're cleared by the other company.

But if this current job is just a placeholder, and there is zero likelihood negative actions taken by you here could come back to bite you, then I'd have no problems walking out on the day I gave notice.
jtp01
AG
Some day you will be filling out a job application and they will ask for employment history. Just quitting is something you will have to explain during the interview process.

When I was interviewing potential employees, if they just quit a job, I asked they to give me the circumstances behind the abrupt departure. Sometimes it was warranted I.e. Illegal activities by superiors, but if there was no legitimate reason, that was a hurdle that they had to overcome.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm not saying this is the perfect scenario, but having a job and being offered a career, I wouldn't hold that against a younger person if they told me the truth. "I quit without a 2 week notice because that was my only option for receiving this position while also protecting myself." A little selfish, but come-on, company loyalty isn't around anymore and the suits would cut his legs off and fire him as soon as they saw reason.
chjoak
AG
jtp01 said:

Some day you will be filling out a job application and they will ask for employment history. Just quitting is something you will have to explain during the interview process.

When I was interviewing potential employees, if they just quit a job, I asked they to give me the circumstances behind the abrupt departure. Sometimes it was warranted I.e. Illegal activities by superiors, but if there was no legitimate reason, that was a hurdle that they had to overcome.
How does that even come up?

Never seen a resume/application that asks for the exact day you left/started a job. They just show month/year. My resume reflects starting a job the same month I left the prior and I have never had anyone question that.
jtp01
AG
The application asked "reason for leaving". I always asked for them to tell me about the details of their "reason for leaving". You would be surprised what folks will tell you in that setting. I had a guy tell me he quit because he was tired of working 8 hours per day. We were looking for full time employees. He didn't make it to the next round.
OnlyForNow
AG
I guess it's because I'm in a different profession, but I haven't filled out an "application" for a job since I got out of grad school. But I am also guessing that some major companies require something like an application.
jtp01
AG
I get that. I haven't filled out an application sine 2003. I didn't fill out an application at my current employer. Heck, no drug test or physical for that matter.

For the most part when I was hiring, it was an inside/outside sales position or a warehouse/laborer position. I'll let you guess where the "I quit" folks generally fell in those two categories.

I've just always been one that believes past actions dictate future behavior. I wouldn't be interested in a person who "quit" because who is to say that they wouldn't do it again leaving me in a bind. With over 13 years in a management position, I've only had 1 guy quit and he didn't last until lunch on his fist day. That was an interesting situation, a cdl driver didn't think he should have to secure his own load. That was a fun day because I ended up in the delivery truck until about 6:00 pm to pick up the slack.
brotheraggie

[Take a time out and reflect on how disrespectful you are on this thread. - Staff]
Rusty GCS
AG
Not all industries are the same. I would never just drag up on a mom and pop organization.

I work in maintenance in an industrial setting. No notices are given by anybody and that's expected. I once put in a notice and was laughed at told that wasn't necessary.

In my current position I would tell my direct boss before quitting. Heck, I would tell him before I even applied or interviewed anywhere else. But we have a great working relationship. I wouldn't tell HR or the company anything before already being hired by the next company and would let the next company dictate my start date. If it was less than 2 weeks then so be it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
And most of you old *******s won't adapt to technology that makes things run smoother, saves time/money, and increases overall productivity because you're stubborn and unwilling to change. I get that there are gripes about millenials, but baby boomers and gen x have plenty of faults too.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i don't know if it's because i'm watching veep right now but that's the first time i've laughed out loud at a job network post.

well now that staff has taken a hatchet to this thread the post i was laughing at is gone as is the context.
Rusty GCS
AG
This is the Job Network board. Not the General board
Rusty GCS
AG
Excellence
Integrity
Leadership
Loyalty
Respect
Selfless Service

Forgetting one of these, Real Ag?
Vernada
AG
Goodness. Both of you should be a little embarrassed.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Vernada said:

Goodness. Both of you should be a little embarrassed.
I'll personally never be embarrassed when it comes to defending myself against this perceived notion that all millennials are this generation of spoiled brats. brotheraggie was the one that wanted to come out with his bs rhetoric on millennials.

[You and brotheraggie need to stay off this thread and PM if you must continue the disrespect. - Staff]
powerbelly
AG
What is worse? An old guy yelling at clouds or you yelling at the old guy yelling at clouds?

WGAS what he thinks.
bbb78
AG
Maybe I missed something, but I did not see your new offer requires you to start immediately and not give your current employer proper notice. When the offer is official (in writing), give a 2-week notice.
thaed137
AG
You are also free to give 2 weeks notice but say that you would prefer to leave as early as they are able to let you go once you get your free and clear. Depending on job it could right out the door that day or they will want 2 weeks to help train new person or something. End of the day it is a courtesy that you shouldn't respect to the degree that it hurts you starting out in your new place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.