Job Network
Sponsored by

James P Shelley Resume Service

47,221 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PlanoAg98
The D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bump......

I just used James Shelley (Jim) to help with my resume. I am currently employed but was looking to get something better within the same field.

He is very professional and took my POS resume and turned it into a winner. I applied for 4 jobs and got 2 callbacks within the same day. Had 1 interview already and 1 scheduled for next week. One of the jobs I applied for 6 months ago and no response. After using the resume he created I got an email back within 15 minutes wanting to set up a phone interview, it was the same job from the same company.

It has helped ALOT so far and well worth the money.

Anyways, wanted to chime in on this..... I found out about him originally by searching "resume texags"

BTW just letting you know if you are interested this isn't a 1 day turnaround type of deal. He works with you over the course of weeks to make it perfect.
The D
AG
Update....

Got a job offer in the same field that pays about 45% more. Plus it is 2 miles away and has benefits. Previously I was self employed.

I really don't think I would have even made the through door without the help of Jim.

I would highly recommend him, I've seen first hand how much he has helped me, a complete game changer. The JFF of resumes.
a07nathanb
AG
Just wanted to also throw in my 2 cents about Jim's services.

I have not been actively seeking to change jobs, but thought it would be good to have an updated resume on hand just in case. I had not had a current resume in over 10 years and Jim walked me through the whole process prompt and professionally. He returned to me a great product and an affordable price.

I based using his services all off of the TexAgs recommendation and would now also give the a07nathanb seal of approval.
LastHamlet
AG
Can someone PM me his website? Or did I miss the link in this thread?
mrp_84
Giving another recommendation for Jim. I worked with him for about 2 weeks to get my resume in proper shape. The day he sent me the final draft I submitted my resume to a company in a similar field to my current job. I received a call that night from the manager who would directly oversee the position. We spoke for 30 minutes and scheduled an onsite interview for a couple of days later. Fast forward to today and I received the job offer.

I can't think Jim enough for his work. I know it played a major role in propelling me to the front of the line. Not to mention when the time comes I'll definitely be taking advantage of his lifetime review offer.
klegldb06
AG
http://www.jamespshelley.com/

Working with Jim now and he is top notch. Very detailed and cares for your resume like it is his own.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I paid him quite a bit of money and frankly he did not deliver on his timeline and his draft was so average i lost interest

His final resume has produced the same results as mine

Maybe y'all are better at your jobs and have skills bc I am really disappointed

Goose06
AG
Why don't some of you post before and after versions so the rest of us can see the quality of work? I feel like I have a pretty good resume so I'd like to see examples of him making very good resumes great and not just making average or below average resumes good.
ThreeFive
AG
I didn't have timeline issues, but I didn't really like how my resume turned out and when I asked questions, or recommended changes to verbiage that would align with industry norms, it seemed to irritate and offend James.

I eventually just accepted what he provided me with and after not getting any bites for six months, I made my own changes. In the past month I've had three interviews.

I did like his formatting and certainly think he can help in some cases, but I wouldn't use him for a technical resume in the oil and gas industry as it's not something he seems to be too familiar with.
zooguy96
Well, he changed my wife's resume, and once she started looking for jobs, she's been getting alot of interviews, so she's had no issues. I made a few changes to it, but liked the way he worded and formatted it.
merlin403
Jim just provided me with a final copy of my resume my this morning. As someone who is looking to make a career change to a completely unrelated field, I needed someone who could reword my resume so that aligns with future career goals. I felt that James excelled in my resume "overhaul" and cannot wait to start applying for jobs. I strongly suggest his service and would not hesitate using him again in the future.
aggiechris11
Also want to throw a shoutout to Jim for his services, I have a steady job but am looking to move towards a new opportunity with more growth and financial opportunity. He was very detailed in what he needed from me to better my Resume and was also very diligent in returning emails and answering any questions I had. He provided me with a Resume I really am proud to share with employers that I will start sending out this week(I will be sure to give an update). Also, something had come up which caused a delay in returning me the final draft of my Resume and as a result, he graciously provided me with a Cover Letter free of charge.
slowmach
I used Jim a year ago when I first started looking for a job. He was very detailed and asked a lot of questions to make you think which was good. I am currently still looking for a job so I did not have the success stories as a lot of you have mentioned. I also got mixed reviews on my resume, some stated my resume came across cocky or arrogant. I think he has a good service but may not be for every industry.
WillieAg08
AG
Can't say enough good things about Jim and his work. Jim literally started with a blank canvas (I've never had a resume) and the finished product he delivered was outstanding. I didn't need a resume, but reading all the rave reviews peaked my curiosity and I was not disappointed!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Still no calls from his resume from real jobs

Buyer beware

klegldb06
AG
Another Bump from me.

I've been working with James since its as far back as July/August in passive format as my family and my work organization are going through some changes so I didnt "have" to update it, but I wanted to make sure my resume was prepared properly for whatever pivots are needed. I'll provide my review in parts:

Starting Point: My resume was the first I'd had out of college, with some touch ups from my career mentors, but nothing much beyond that.

Support/Process: James has a very well defined process and is very prompt and punctual in his responses. His level of service is really great for the type of work that he is in.

Content: At the end of the day, you are the subject matter expert in your field and James is a very skilled writer. You can choose to push the content to have more of your own voice and ensure that certain buzzwords are captured or take a backseat and let him write it. He's flexible in doing that and will readily explain his rationale for adding/removing a bullet point, etc.

Flow: I think this is where James brought me light years ahead. The flow of my resume was very very dense. He is able to word things in ways that it quickly communicates what you have accomplished, and how much or how little it impacted the business.

Overall, I had a great experience and would recommend him to others. I think its unfair to place feedback like Mookie's without some sort of explanation. I'd imagine Jim would be happy to revisit Mookie's resume with him as I did several times after taking his iterations and consulting with colleagues in my field (in fact i would suggest this to those who are concerned, take it to the career center, colleagues and come back to James with it..i have a more technical background and he worked with feedback i got from colleagues).
Petrino1
The truth is if you don't have the required work experience or education for a job, then your resume can only get you so far. Your resume doesn't nearly matter as much as your work experience and network. No matter how great and polished it looks it still won't land you an interview for a position you're unqualified for. A mediocre resume with great work experience will still land you an interview every time over a great resume with mediocre work experience.

Most hiring managers/recruiters will first look at your education, current job title/company and determine if you're a fit then look at the body of the resume.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Once again buyer beware

I have career and job experience and all he did was throw in some buzz words

The guy is a con artist
I am sure all of our resumes are identical

Eliminatus
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Once again buyer beware

The guy is a con artist

To be fair that is what makes a decent resume to a great one. The information is always there, but presentation, tone, and flow of it is what is important to most employers.

But go ahead and let your emotions put you in a world of bitter absolutes.
BrazosDog02
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Once again buyer beware

The guy is a con artist

Only one way to find out. Post up your resume and let's see. I don't think you get to slam someone's work and threaten their income without putting up some collateral. I see a lot of likes, perhaps several of you should post resumes?

Perhaps it's not so much the resume as it is the fact that there are 30,000 other applicants that are far more qualified for the job?
MookieBlaylock
AG
His service which was referred to me from here did not result in a quality product

I don't need to post the resume he provided bc you won't read it just like every other company

Don't waste your money like I did

BrazosDog02
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

His service which was referred to me from here did not result in a quality product

I don't need to post the resume he provided bc you won't read it just like every other company

I don't know man. Like I said, I don't think it's the resume. Are you in oil and gas?
JamesPShelley
MookieBlaylock said:

Hi Mookie,

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the results of our collaboration. Further, I'm certain (based upon your postings illuminating your displeasure) that you must be very frustrated. I get it. As much as I try to satisfy every single client, I can't. I knew that going in more than a decade ago. However, I don't take lightly that dissatisfaction. For when a client is dissatisfied, I am dissatisfied.

Your screen name I do not recognize, I'm sorry. Would you please take a moment to reconnect with me so we may reestablish a dialogue towards renewing our collaboration? I'd like to revisit your document so that together we can advance your employment prospects. Lets identify what needs to be remedied so you can start scheduling interviews.

Please. Contact me. I do look forward to hearing from you.
AgResearch
AG

T_Sat18
AG
Jim has done an outstanding job helping with my resume. Last January we collaborated and created a totally new resume which helped me land an interview, and eventually a job offer, from my #1 job prospect. Since then, Jim has been there to help edit / update my resume as my experience grows. WELL worth the investment!
Ragoo
AG
what is the association with TexAgs? Just a random dude?
Ragoo
AG
I am in the market for a review and would like some input.
fish_rich
AG
What is an average cost for him to write a resume?
BrazosDog02
AG
Contact him. It's not cheap. I've been unemployed from a proper job for 15 months. I figured I would spend the mone for him to redo mine. If it worked, then it was chump change. If it didn't work, then I spent money making an honest effort to give myself the best chance possible. Still worth it.

I was in oil and gas so my chances were pretty much zero from the start. I was willing to get whatever edge I could get. Your mileage may vary.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Jim just finished my resume yesterday after several iterations and collaboration back and forth. My resume was a complete mess as I hadn't updated it since my move to my first job out of college 5.5 years ago. It turned out truly professional looking with wording that was perfect. I'm an engineer, but am decent enough at writing. Jim was able to eloquently describe my accomplishments in a very visually appealing document.

It was worth every penny. The fact that he includes lifetime updates to the document is just a cherry on top.

I'll now be using him for some cover letter help as I'm sure that will turn out just as great as the resume did.

Seriously, do it, you won't be disappointed.
Coppell97
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Got feedback from professional recruiters and they did not like his summary at all

Which is the lead

5 months and still not a nibble

Paid $500 for nada

James Shelley, how about some type of refund for Mookie? I know you don't work for free, but it seems like he may not have received a benefit from your service.
JamesPShelley
MookieBlaylock said:

Got feedback from professional recruiters and they did not like his summary at all

Which is the lead

Paid $500 for nada

Hi Mookie,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't achieved the results you desired. I know the frustration associated with an unsuccessful job search, in spite of what appear to be overwhelming candidate qualifications. You try to dot all the I's... cross all the T's... fill in all the blanks... and then nothing. Zero. The silence can rob you of confidence, and that can lead to feelings of hopelessness. It's not a good feeling. I'm not playing armchair psychologist, as I've been there many times and, knowing I wasn't the only person with those feelings... that is what inspired me to serve others similarly situated. I want to turn this around for you.

Please take a moment to reconnect with me, and we'll work towards identifying what is the weak link.

Have a good morning, Mookie.
ChrisTAMU
AG
What's the disadvantage of reconnecting with him at this point? Not like you'll have to pay more. I don't understand why you haven't done this yet.
Goose06
AG
Coppell97 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Which is the lead

Paid $500 for nada

James Shelley, how about some type of refund for Mookie? I know you don't work for free, but it seems like he may not have received a benefit from your service.

If he wants to give a refund, that is fine. However when you pay for a soft service like this you have to understand your mileage may very. He may knock it out of the park for some and not so much for others. If he starts giving refunds to anyone who claims they didn't get any jobs from their new fancy resume then he will be providing lots of free work.
Ragoo
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Which is the lead

Paid $500 for nada

ha e you tried sending your original draft to the same headhunters? If they find your version to be better maybe you have a bone to pick.

Additionally, you are airing grievances like the lack of contact is somehow the consultants fault. It is your resume, your story. Maybe you are applying for the wrong positions based on your experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.