Do I stand a chance at shooting for A&M engineering?

1,782 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by CypressAg09
qwerty_098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GPA: 5.26 (W) / 4.00 (UW) -- not auto-admit, probably not top quartile either? (attend a very competitive public high school, GPA got a little messed up because of a new school)

SAT: 1280 (looking to retake to something around a 1450+)

APs: Physics 1 (3), Lang (4), APUSH (4), APCSA (didn't test)
  • Taking this year: BC, Physics C Mech + E&M, Lit, APES, Gov, and Macro

Desired major: Electrical & Computer Engineering (1st Choice), Mechanical Engineering (2nd Choice)

Notable EC's:
  • Clubs:
    • Robotics:
      • Currently hold a leadership position
      • Team made it to division finalists at the World Championship, twice.
      • Networked heavily to raise capital for said organization; significant figures.
    • Volunteering clubs:
      • Accumulated hundreds of volunteering hours through a variety of such clubs.
    • Debate:
      • Currently hold a leadership position in my school's club, related to instruction and outreach.
  • Currently mentor an international robotics team in an underdeveloped country.
    • Spearheaded an effort to partner with a local large philanthropic organization to sponsor a robotics outreach event catered to an extremely disadvantaged population.
    • Collaborated with a large lifestyle YouTuber.
  • Serve as an instructor at a student-founded debate outreach organization where we lead camps and assist children from underprivileged communities in our local area to maximize their potential.
  • Interned at two world-famous STEM-focused museums in one of the largest cities in the nation.
    • My position consisted of working with museum curators to provide insight into the curation of upcoming exhibitions. Additionally, I served as a tour guide for guests.
    • Receiving my letter of recommendation from a mentor at one of these museums.

Desired takeaways: As I hope it shows, I'm extremely passionate about spreading awareness about STEM communication/outreach and involving myself in its education. After college, I wish to continue in the field of STEM education in a larger capacity while maintaining my professional career.

If anyone has any insight, please reach out! Also, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how to structure my activities on a resume.

DISCLAIMER: My low-weighted GPA is partially because when I transferred schools, my old grades weren't recalculated on a fair scale. Other reasons include low 90s in PreCal and AP CSA.

I'm praying the TAMU admissions office recalculates my GPA.
HuttoAg27
AG
I think you have a chance with all of those EC's, and especially if you boost your SAT further up. If you really feel that you were slighted on your GPA calculation, I believe there is an essay for special circumstances? Try to explain the situation as best as you can there. Another thing that may initially sound but can help substantially on admissions is APPLYING EARLY, like as soon as possible. If you apply later, that spot may have already been filled.

Something else to be aware of is that admission to Texas A&M (you should be good here) is separate from admission to Texas A&M Engineering (the main hurdle for you and others).

Are you dead set on Texas A&M Engineering? If so, there are several options you may be offered that would potentially accompany any initial denial into the Engineering program. The 3 main alternate options I know of are taking your freshman year completely at the Galveston campus, or taking main classes at the RELLIS campus and going to the main campus for engineering courses, and taking main classes at Blinn College and taking engineering courses at the main campus. All 3 options accommodate full transfer to Texas A&M University after the ETAM process as your freshman year concludes.

If you have any more questions or want further clarification about either the process or my individual circumstances regarding my own admission, feel free to respond here. Good Luck!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Getting that SAT up to the 1400 range is the best thing you can do from here. ECs are not unimportant, but the grades and the test score really drive the end result. Are you a junior or senior this year (I assume senior)? Applying early August is important. You can apply then keep submitting better scores if necessary.

Have you taken the ACT? Can be helpful to take both and then pursue the one that has the most potential. My oldest basically made the same on both, but my youngest was meh on the SAT but crushed the ACT.
Another Doug
AG
If you are set on A&M Engineering pump that SAT (high 1400s) up and make a effort to make a quality application and apply pretty early in the process. Additionally remember that if not accepted into A&M you might get offered the Blinn/A&M engineering co-enrollment (https://www.blinn.edu/tamu-engineering-at-blinn/index.html)

Also remember you don't get a major if accepted into A&M engineering, you apply for the major after you get some core classes out of the way, the two you want are tough to get into.

If you are set on those majors, make sure you apply to other schools so you have options. UTD has a great Comp Sci/Engineering department, its just the overall college experience is really lacking compared to A&M.
daniel00
AG
Not sure which side of SAT needs the most help, but prepscholar.com and kahn academy are both helpful. Also, lots of math tips and tricks on youtube. Here are some that were helpful:

DESMOS hacks

Hard Questions

Quadratic Equations

Plug and Play (For Time-Consuming Problems)

Triangles

Moving Quickly
CypressAg09
AG
Good luck and I hope you get the major you want! Sucks to hear that schools still can't figure out how to transfer weighted class grades. Same crap happened to me 20 years ago haha.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.