TAMU Scholarship Process for Current Students

1,896 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by NomadicAggie
dgb99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the category of "I'm not surprised but still a little disappointed", my incoming freshman has not received any merit scholarship money directly from TAMU. He was top 3% in a graduating class of >1000 kids at a decent high school with a boatload of AP classes and good extra-curriculars (band and service org leadership). He had good test scores but was not National Merit and did not play sports. He also did not cure cancer in his spare time.

This was pretty much expected based on reading over and over here and on other college admissions platforms that A&M gives very little merit-based scholarships outside of National Merit. However, I've been getting the feeling he thinks he has let us down by not getting some sort of recognition from A&M. I've read anecdotally that some amount of scholarship money could show up in his account as late as the week before school starts. I'm holding out the smallest bit of hope that, with the delayed FAFSA process this year, that might still happen which would be a pretty cool boost of confidence as the semester is getting started.

All that said, my understanding is that current students can reapply for scholarships each year but it looks like applications open October 15 and close February 1st. Sooo...with that wide of a date range, is there any benefit to applying earlier vs. later? It seems strange to me to apply as early as October when, as a freshman, he won't have any college grades to report. I suppose the new application will have his AP scores from senior year but I'd like to think those are already factoring into final decisions for the 24/25 scholarship pool.

I also suppose the reality is that he'll be too busy to even consider applying in Oct/Nov and will wait at least until Christmas break to even start the application...

TLDR: Is there any benefit to completing the TAMU continuing student scholarship application in October instead of January?

Edited to add: the 'disappointment' is in the lack of merit-based scholarships from A&M, not my kid. He rocks!
aggie93
AG
It's tough to get scholarships but give it a shot, my eldest has gotten a few bucks but he has a 4.0 and is very involved. It's more of a token amount but better than nothing.

The lack of merit aid combined with the high cost of attendance for In State students is ridiculous at a school like A&M with a $20 Billion endowment and massive alumni giving. We spend our money very, very foolishly as a school and it has resulted in losing countless of the best and brightest kids in the state who go elsewhere that will gladly give them more money and beg for them to come to higher rated schools. If you aren't NM there is hardly anything Merit wise. Our lack of a holistic approach to scholarships is mind boggling, NM is one of the dumbest things you can judge a student by because it is literally a 1 Day Test and mainly tests math skills and logic which isn't a good measure for a successful student in a vacuum.

A&M is very stingy unless you either 1) Can show whatever voodoo method the FAFSA decides is "need" or 2) Are 1st Gen which automatically disqualifies all children of alumni. or 3) Are a NM Semifinalist. There is also a decent amount of Corps money out there designed to attract OOS students by giving them In State tuition.

We have more Woke financial aid policies than California and we screw over In State students hard. It's virtually impossible to get In State tuition in most states but not at A&M, lots of ways to get exceptions here. I know of many, many students who are OOS and are not nearly as strong of a student as my son and pay far less, it's infuriating. I know of Aggie buddies of mine that pay more for their kid to go to A&M than they would if they went to Georgia Tech, my son may end up in that bucket and if he does it will be hard for me to tell him not to be a Yellow Jacket. I've been deeply, deeply disappointed in how A&M handles financial aid and how the school has treated me and my sons. The level of communication is rude and condescending, very different than when I have talked to other schools.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
double b
AG
Been super swamped this summer. In short, NO. There is no advantage to submitting your materials early.
dgb99
AG
Thanks for the feedback folks!
CuervoAg
AG
My current Aggie was Top 5% and is currently in Civil Engineering hoping to graduate in Fall '25. When he was applying to schools TTech was literally throwing scholarships $ at him. As much as I would've loved him going to A&M at the time, I tried to convince him TTech made the most sense as he would have to dig a debt hole w/ student loans and TTech was offering so much $ he could almost get away with very little need for Fed or private student loans.

Well he chose A&M and now will graduate with a mountain of debt.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." -- Dean Wormer, Faber College President
aggie93
AG
CuervoAg said:

My current Aggie was Top 5% and is currently in Civil Engineering hoping to graduate in Fall '25. When he was applying to schools TTech was literally throwing scholarships $ at him. As much as I would've loved him going to A&M at the time, I tried to convince him TTech made the most sense as he would have to dig a debt hole w/ student loans and TTech was offering so much $ he could almost get away with very little need for Fed or private student loans.

Well he chose A&M and now will graduate with a mountain of debt.
Hate stories like that and it's ridiculous A&M allows that to happen. So many kids have to turn down a lot of money to go to A&M when we should be trying to get every top student in Texas to go and we should be making it more affordable for most students and not just a small number at the top and then most of the money going to Need based aid. Retail price for A&M should be half of what it is and with lots of scholarship money. We just choose not to spend our money that way.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Prexys Moon
AG
Quote:

A&M is very stingy unless you either 1) Can show whatever voodoo method the FAFSA decides is "need" or 2) Are 1st Gen which automatically disqualifies all children of alumni. or 3) Are a NM Semifinalist. There is also a decent amount of Corps money out there designed to attract OOS students by giving them In State tuition.
Just took my daughter to NSC, son will be a 5th year senior this year Had to sit through all sorts of self-congratulations in power points with A&M blathering on and on about "first generation Aggies" and "percentage of Hispanics". Anybody with a brain knows they are favoring "first generation" in admissions and scholarships. Which means that for a school that supposedly prides itself on tradition, legacy, all of that stuff....a kid from an Aggie family is PENALIZED in admissions and scholarships.

Incredible.
aggie93
AG
I am fine with the idea that being a child of an alumni doesn't give you a boost. I don't agree with it because I think it is short sighted both in terms of culture and donations but I understand as a public school they have that policy. I do have a problem with favoring other groups though. It should either be equal for all or not. As it stands A&M has gone way too far the other direction, beyond what other states have done. I know so many of my buddies who are hard core Ags that donated money to A&M in their 30s and 40s that now that they have had kids go there or they have dealt with A&M won't send them another dime going forward.

I sincerely hope the new Chancellor can see some of this and makes some changes.

Ronald Reagan
NomadicAggie
AG
After attending the school myself, then getting bombarded for years to donate money (which I have), it's definitely a little galling to essentially be told to "shut up, sit down, get nothing, and you'll like it.".

One of my three kids attended A&M. By FAR he was the best student....and got the least amount of merit based aid. It's comical actually, compared to other similar state schools.

But....they know you'll keep coming back anyway. We always do. Why spend the money on people you know you can take advantage of?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.