Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology?

3,351 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by mccjames
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey engineers - have any of you heard of this little engineering college in Indiana? Supposed to be a pretty solid undergad program but I'd never heard of it until I was digging around on Niche. Anybody here have an opinion on this school or its graduates?
ktownag08
AG
A former colleague of mine when there. He's a talented engineer. He seemed quite well educated coming out so if interested it's worth pursuing.
Buck Turgidson
It was the only school on the Niche.com list of Top 50 Engineering Colleges that I had never heard of. Seemed like a possible (but more expensive) backup option if you have a kid with a 1250-1350 SAT who just missed out on getting into the A&M College of Engineering. Or, maybe if your kid just wants a small school vs. a giant one.
AvantGarde-CollegePrep
I currently have a student attending there who was recruited to run cross-country (DIII) and is majoring in mechanical engineering. They also received a sizeable scholarship from RHIT.

It's an excellent engineering school focusing on collaborative research and group projects. Almost all of their classes have 20 or fewer students, each taught by full-time faculty.

Colleges similar to RHIT are the Colorado School of Mines, RPI, RIT, and SJIT.

These are excellent colleges for students searching for hands-on experience within a small classroom environment.
Redefining College Prep
oldag00
AG
Hey Buck-

We have a son there now. Drop a contact method here, and I'd be glad to talk with you.
tremble
AG
Ranked #17 in the WSJ's school rankings this year. I had never heard of it either. Pretty cool to see different rankings asking serious questions about what matters to graduates, students, and employers.
94chem
REALLY good school. Side note: Your daughter could get an Mrs. there if meets anybody who's talked to a girl before. Also, have you ever been to Southern Indiana? Study is the most fun thing to do on the weekends.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Buck Turgidson
Well it's within a few hours of St Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville so they can make the occasional road trip. However, I'd be happy if my kids just stayed around the campus and studied most of the time.
94chem
I don't know what the rankings say, but I've never known anybody from Michigan Tech who wasn't very high quality. Missouri S&T is another one I can recommend.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
aggie93
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Well it's within a few hours of St Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville so they can make the occasional road trip. However, I'd be happy if my kids just stayed around the campus and studied most of the time.
I'd just make sure to do a lengthy visit where you check out not only the school but the area. It's a very different place than Texas for good and bad. If your kid likes a quieter place and isn't looking for a lot of activity and are comfortable being a long way from home and having to make new friends they may love it.

I kind of see Rose Hulman in the same category as Emory Riddle, the next step up size wise being a Colorado School of Mines or RPI or the like. Very good if you want a heavy Engineering culture in a smaller school with more interaction with Profs.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Buck Turgidson
We're keeping this school in mind as a respectable but likely pricey fallback option. My oldest two are freshmen so there is a long road ahead before we are even sending out applications. They'll be taking the PSAT 8/9 next week and that will be our first early indication (besides grades) as to which options might be more realistic.
mccjames
AG
Late to the party but Rose Hulman is an excellent engineering school. Cousins son graduated there and has done very well post College.
Easy come, Easy go
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.