College for homeschooled kids

6,322 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by cavscout96
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious what homeschooling families would consider attractive in a university?

BoDog
AG
One close to home?
AxelFoley85
Liberty
FredMc92
Bonnets and ankle-length dresses?
BrazosDog02
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I'm curious what homeschooling families would consider attractive in a university?

Pretty much the same things anyone would find attractive in a university. We homeschool our kids and A&M is attractive because one wants to be a veterinarian. What is the driver for this question?
cavscout96
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Pretty much the same things anyone would find attractive in a university. We homeschool our kids and A&M is attractive because one wants to be a veterinarian. What is the driver for this question?
both of mine are looking at A&M closely. Partly for the ethos and partly for specific career interests. One wants to go into Ag and the other to law school after undergrad. My Ag kid is looking at other Ag schools and my law kid has a wider aperture, but school culture is an important part for both.
double b
AG
If the college is asking for additional academic documentation in addition to your college application, then you can consider the school to not be as homeschool friendly. Texas A&M is very homeschool friendly, and there are others, primarily smaller universities and colleges.
BClark
AG
We just got back from a visit to Patrick Henry College in Purceville, VA. About 75% of their students were homeschooled.
Quique
AG
An opportunity to build significant leadership skills… for example (within TAMU) via the Corps of Cadets.
12Power
Don't be fooled. Liberty is a fine academic school. The only thing that home schoolers may have in common with Liberty is Christian based. I know several home school families who have A&M graduates. I was surprised as I did not think it prepares one for the challenges of college.
Quique
AG
18 years ago I would have been surprised too. In fact, when I married my lovely wife I recall reacting with an emphatic "no way" to her suggestion of homeschooling. Well…. I rightfully lost that arguments. Here we are 18 years into homeschooling and I wouldn't have it any other way. Absolutely love it in more ways than I ever would have imagined. My oldest son just finished his freshman year, 4.0 in engineering and elected outstanding freshman in his Corps unit. Super proud of him but honestly not surprised after seeing him self-direct his highschool studies and help raise his younger siblings. If any of you out there are on the fence, just do it… and don't look back. Focus on their character and don't worry so much about the academics. Get their character right… and everything else falls in place.
strbrst777
PermianAg said:

18 years ago I would have been surprised too. In fact, when I married my lovely wife I recall reacting with an emphatic "no way" to her suggestion of homeschooling. Well…. I rightfully lost that arguments. Here we are 18 years into homeschooling and I wouldn't have it any other way. Absolutely love it in more ways than I ever would have imagined. My oldest son just finished his freshman year, 4.0 in engineering and elected outstanding freshman in his Corps unit. Super proud of him but honestly not surprised after seeing him self-direct his highschool studies and help raise his younger siblings. If any of you out there are on the fence, just do it… and don't look back. Focus on their character and don't worry so much about the academics. Get their character right… and everything else falls in place.
Twenty-five years ago I had only heard of home schooling. I became close friends with a family. The mother-a high school grad-was home schooling her children. The oldest girl was mature for her age, bright, talented in music and socially-and in other ways-well adjusted. At 16 she was admitted to the local junior college where she excelled. She went on to study pre-med at a fine private college where she graduated with honors. She is now head of ER at a major hospital. Home schooling works for parents who have the dedication and discipline to teach the curriculum.
Ag Eng 92
AG
12Power said:

Don't be fooled. Liberty is a fine academic school. The only thing that home schoolers may have in common with Liberty is Christian based. I know several home school families who have A&M graduates. I was surprised as I did not think it prepares one for the challenges of college.

We homeschooled for 10 years. Oldest graduated high school that way and has BS and MS from
A&M (and was admitted without auto-qualifying). Homeschooling provided lots of rigor, so many opportunities to learn independently. My kids have been very well prepared for university life because of that. My younger kids finished in large public high schools- the variety of opportunities there were also great.
NoahAg
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I'm still confused by this question. Why would the answers be any different for homeschoolers compared to public or private schoolers?
neronero
Think about it homeschooling families have this unique approach to education. So, when they're scoping out colleges, it's not just about the reputation or the parties. They're after something that aligns with their style, values, and way of learning. I found this cool article that sheds some light on this whole deal: https://writersperhour.com/blog/athlete-academic-tips. It's not exactly about homeschooling, but it's got tips for juggling sports and academics. Pretty handy if you ask me. But back to homeschoolers and college dreams. Flexibility might be a biggie for them. They're used to a personalized learning journey, so a college that allows them to customize their path could be super attractive. Also, a tight-knit community that's supportive and open to different learning approaches.

CrawlingNo5
AG
My sisters kids are currently going to LeTourneau University out in Longview (engineering) and Univeristy of Dallas (English and Math). They looked at smaller schools that didn't have the 300 to 1 student teacher ratio like A&M. But it absolutely has to be Christian first focus. The engineering major is interning at Boeing.
WilliamJeff
Homeschooling is something different from college. And I don't see anything strange that homeschool students apply to unis. I studied at home for two years due to some health conditions, but I still went to the university.
cavscout96
AG
12Power said:

some of my best students at the college level were homeschooled.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.