8 week courses

2,004 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Comeby!
Comeby!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll plead ignorance but as a former student and Aggie dad I had not heard of 8 week courses during the spring/fall semester and how they work. I don't remember these being a thing during a normal fall or spring semester. Full disclosure, this is more of a Blinn team question.

These short courses are listed as 3 hours each but finish around March 8th. So what happens after that? You're done for the semester and have more time to spend on full semester courses or if you have no other classes, you're semester is over? I wanted to make sure that these 8 week courses at 3 hours don't calculate like a 1.5 hr course or something odd like that. Or that if you are taking 12 and a 3 hour short course doesn't drop you into a part time status?
Thank!
BetsyParker
AG
Blinn offers a few different terms:
16-Week term is the traditional semester and class meets for 1 and 15 minutes 2x a week.
12-Week classes meet for 1 hour and 30 minutes 2x a week.
8-Week classes meet for 1 hour and 15 minutes 4x a week.

All of the above are the same contact hours, and a student earns 3 credit hours (meeting times would be longer if the course were a 4 hour course).

Some students will take 2 8-Week courses the 1st 8-weeks and 2 the 2nd 8-Weeks and earn 12 hours for the semester as would a student who took 4 16-Week courses.

Students can register for any combination of the above, so it is not uncommon for a student to take 16-Week courses along with an 8-Week course or two.

Hope this helps!
Comeby!
AG
Got it. This is helpful. Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.