son didn't get into A&M

12,348 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Houstonag
wxmanX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4.0 at UT this semester.

A&M was dumb for not taking him.

AggieAdvisor16
AG
Any more info? What major was he trying to transfer into?

Did he meet their minimum requirements? You mentioned the GPA, but what about the required coursework?
wxmanX
Doesn't matter, he a longhorn now. Smart kid, A&M messed up last year.

Heisenberg01
AG
wxmanX said:

Glad he's doing well, but if you think an isolated individual case means that the university messed up, then you don't understand how universities operate. Unless you son becomes the next T Boone Pickens that your son's case does not affect the school at all.
BulletBob
Heisenberg01 said:

wxmanX said:

Glad he's doing well, but if you think an isolated individual case means that the university messed up, then you don't understand how universities operate. Unless you son becomes the next T Boone Pickens that your son's case does not affect the school at all.
I suspect that you are not the next T Boone either...
TexasDave
My daughter in same situation as a transfer (4.0 GPA at another University, 47 hours completed)
But for A&M , it came down to the required course work.
She was missing a single English2 class before she can apply to A&M
She is taking the English class now and will apply to A&M next month for the summer/ fall 2023 admission.
In the mean time she is starting class at UT in January.
She is going to keep her options open since most of her family are Aggies.
But she is starting to warm up to UT (much to the displeasure of my wife)

I don't blame A&M for having strict required prerequisite course work that needs completion prior to
applying but they might be loosing some great students. Might be better to just do a review of applicants who completed a certain number of hours and then looks at GPA and courses completed.
Heisenberg01
AG
BulletBob said:

Heisenberg01 said:

wxmanX said:

You're right and neither are you. And even though I suspect we are both Aggie graduates (although you don't have an Ag tag, so I'm not sure), the university wouldn't be noticeably different if we'd gone elsewhere. It's the reality when you go to a school of 50,000 current students with an endowment the size of A&M. I also wouldn't post some jaded thread on Texags if my kid made a 4.0 at tu. I'd just be happy he's having success.
BoDog
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

BulletBob said:

Heisenberg01 said:

wxmanX said:

You're right and neither are you. And even though I suspect we are both Aggie graduates (although you don't have an Ag tag, so I'm not sure), the university wouldn't be noticeably different if we'd gone elsewhere. It's the reality when you go to a school of 50,000 current students with an endowment the size of A&M. I also wouldn't post some jaded thread on Texags if my kid made a 4.0 at tu. I'd just be happy he's having success.
This! It never ceases amaze me how parents get on here and ***** and moan that their Suzy or Johnny didnt get in and "A&M will regret their decision" yada yada yada.

My oldest got deferred to A&M, summer admit to texas, but ultimately chose SMU Cox and its a great fit for him. At the time I thought he was being a fool for not pursuing the texas offer but Austin was not for him AT ALL! He is very happy at SMU and will have countless lucrative employment options upon graduation.

My advice is to just let the process play itself out. If anything I have learned that unless its Ivy League or a Stanford, Duke, Vandy, etc it really doesnt matter. Beyond those everyone else is just competing to be the tallest midget.
HossAg
AG
wxmanX said:

Lol, you think A&M gives a flying **** about having your kid come and get a 4.0?
TXAGBQ76
AG
How did they mess up?
aggie93
AG
BoDog said:

Heisenberg01 said:

BulletBob said:

Heisenberg01 said:

wxmanX said:

This! It never ceases amaze me how parents get on here and ***** and moan that their Suzy or Johnny didnt get in and "A&M will regret their decision" yada yada yada.

My oldest got deferred to A&M, summer admit to texas, but ultimately chose SMU Cox and its a great fit for him. At the time I thought he was being a fool for not pursuing the texas offer but Austin was not for him AT ALL! He is very happy at SMU and will have countless lucrative employment options upon graduation.

My advice is to just let the process play itself out. If anything I have learned that unless its Ivy League or a Stanford, Duke, Vandy, etc it really doesnt matter. Beyond those everyone else is just competing to be the tallest midget.
Major makes a huge difference here. If you are talking about Liberal Arts, totally agree. Otherwise the Major/School combo is huge and often lower rated schools have a particular Major that is far more valuable.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
wxmanX said:

4.0 at UT this semester.

The thing that amazes me about this is so many folks think that Texas is far more difficult to get into than A&M. It's just not accurate and can vary on so many factors.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
HossAg
AG
aggie93 said:

wxmanX said:

4.0 at UT this semester.

The thing that amazes me about this is so many folks think that Texas is far more difficult to get into than A&M. It's just not accurate and can vary on so many factors.

Or that getting a 4.0 in your first semester is that impressive.
TexasAggie73
AG
Not saying that this the case here, but crying on one side that A&M is too big and then crying that A&M didn't take their kid. Unfortunately, admission criteria is like trying to understand credit score among different companies. It's hard to do.
12Power
Maybe God had a different plan for your kid. Let go of your resentment and watch. A&M isn't going to regret anything.
FCBlitz
wxmanX said:

My two got in but zero scholarships. UT at Dallas gave both full scholarships and are doing exceptionally well. UTD turned out to be a really nice college to go to.

TAMU was great to my family. 3 out of 4 went to Aggieland. That was also a time when tuition was $4/hr.
Jack Boyett
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

Not saying that this the case here, but crying on one side that A&M is too big and then crying that A&M didn't take their kid. Unfortunately, admission criteria is like trying to understand credit score among different companies. It's hard to do.

My son also did not get into A&M this year. Had a 32 ACT but was not top 10%. I thought that the ACT plus good extracurriculars would be good enough just based on the fact that the A&M average is 28 or 29 but I guess not. Okie State gave him some nice scholarships and actually recruited him to go there.

Regarding this comment that it's hard to understand admissions. We attended the prospective student conferences for engineering at both schools. There is a stark difference in how each set of students looked, if you know what I mean. I think that had a lot to do with getting the rejection letter.
Prexys Moon
AG
Jack Boyett said:

TexasAggie73 said:

My son also did not get into A&M this year. Had a 32 ACT but was not top 10%. I thought that the ACT plus good extracurriculars would be good enough just based on the fact that the A&M average is 28 or 29 but I guess not. Okie State gave him some nice scholarships and actually recruited him to go there.

Regarding this comment that it's hard to understand admissions. We attended the prospective student conferences for engineering at both schools. There is a stark difference in how each set of students looked, if you know what I mean. I think that had a lot to do with getting the rejection letter.
COUGH....diversity..... COUGH
GoAgs92
AG
A&M loves raking in that application money!....whoooo.

RightWingConspirator
AG
Daughter got into A&M, but went to BYU instead. I'm very good with her decision.
94chem
Been a while since I've seen a good agtag smackdown around these parts.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ShotOver
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

How did they mess up?
Crickets.
stallion6
AG
So many harsh comments. Just let the man vent. Read the room and keep you snarky comments a little kinder.
JustPanda
AG
Hope the apple falls far from the tree. Hope you haven't been hanging into this for a year. That's borderline psychopath.
Houstonag
AG
Standards are standards. If the required course work is not in order going into junior year then it affects the next set of courses. They should do their prep work prior to applying. I was just at a large banquet with 500 engineers receiving huge scholarships. TAMU does not take 2nd place to anybody. These kids are sharp and on time.

They will all get jobs the first day post graduation and make big bucks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.