Transferring to A&M Questions

3,388 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BoDog
TexasDave
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,
I am planning on applying for a Transfer into A&M. I will be submitting my application this January when the portal opens. I currently have a 3.9GPA with 40 hours completed.
I will be applying to the College of Art and Science.(History)
I have called the Admissions office but I seem to get different answers when I call.

My questions are:
1. After I apply in January, how long does it take to get an answer back ( I have complete the required course work for admission). One adviser said you will not hear anything before June another said you might hear back in a few weeks? June seems late to have a chance to get an apartment lined up for Fall or Summer classes.

2. For some of my completed classes, The A&M course equivalency shows that the courses will transfer but is not showing an exact equivalency. For example one of my core life science classes. Is it likely that A&M will give me credit for the science class? Do you have to request an appeal if it is not listed with an equivalency?

3. Housing is already booking up in the more desirable places for next year (summer/Fall 2023). I'm wanting to go ahead and sign a lease now. With a 3.9+ GPA I would think the transfer acceptance probability should be good. Do you think it is too risky to sign a lease?

Thanks
AggieAdvisor16
AG
1. The departments review applicants at their own pace, with a hard deadline toward the end of the semester. Some departments will get decision out quickly, others take a while. Most programs have a limited number of seats. So slam dunk candidates I can accept quickly, others I wait until I have a picture of the full class and can compare.
2. Kind of up to the department. My guess is that the History Department isn't particular about what science course you take, and will be fine with your transfer course. They will have to get it approved by the Provost Office but that should be straightforward if it was core at the other institution.
3. I'm not answering this one. I just have no idea how many seats History has for transfers, how many applicants they get for those seats, etc. Have you tried reaching out to an advisor for that department directly? They will be best positioned to answer your questions about timelines, whether you're a realistic candidate, etc. You should be able to find their info with a quick Google search.

*Make sure you have looked at the transfer sheet for your preferred major! It will give you a list of courses that must be completed before you can be considered. I can't tell you how many good students I've had to deny because they hadn't completed all of the required courses for transfer admission yet.
Paul Dirac
Gig 'Em!
dirkjones
AG
I would think you will have no problems getting admitted. Lots of housing places want you to think they are almost booked full when in reality they have lots of open places. I don't think I would worry too much about that until at least after spring break.
TexasDave
AggieAdvisor16 said:

"So slam dunk candidates I can accept quickly, "
Who would be a slam dunk candidate?
Is it a person who has completed the required prerequisite courses and has a certain GPA?

Thanks
AggieAdvisor16
AG
That bar moves as demand increases and decreases, but basically yes. I strongly encourage you to reach out to an advisor for your desired major to better understand your chances. You look competitive to me, but my students are taking multiple calculus and physics courses before getting to me. In your major there might be more 4.0 applicants than there are seats available.
BoDog
AG
Op, if still around, I was curious to see if you got accepted and ultimately chose A&M?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.