Transferring Law Schools

2,269 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Kevin83
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy! I am planning to go to law school next fall. I just got into my safety school and am unsure if I will get into the school I desire to attend or not, my LSAT score was strong, but my undergraduate GPA was not great. If I don't end up getting into my desired school, I plan to attempt to transfer from my safety school into the school I'd like to go to.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this and what that experience was like? It feels like a risk, but not a huge one. As a freshman in college, I transferred from TAMU-C to A&M and striving for that goal was a constant driver and extra source of motivation.
panag
AG
Depends on the law school. I graduated from a school that took very few transfers. I'd call the school and ask how many transfers they took the last few years. But above that I wouldn't go unless I was comfortable graduating from the safety school.
BoDog
AG
I know this is stating the obvious but really ask yourself if being a lawyer is what you want to do. I only say this because 3 of my 4 nearest friends are all lawyers (litigation and corporate) in their mid 40s and clearly do not like what they do.
panag
AG
BoDog said:

I know this is stating the obvious but really ask yourself if being a lawyer is what you want to do. I only say this because 3 of my 4 nearest friends are all lawyers (litigation and corporate) in their mid 40s and clearly do not like what they do.

Cannot emphasize this enough.
FredMc92
I had a friend who did her 1L at St Mary's 20 years ago. She and three other friends worked their asses off because they knew they wanted to transfer someplace better. Two of them were able to transfer to UT and the other two transferred to Baylor.

Again, my data is 20 years old, so take that into consideration.
Saint Pablo
Thank you to everyone who replied!

I am confident that I want to be an attorney. I have worked for a handful of different firms and legal departments to give myself a wide range of exposure. I have also developed relationships with a few mentor figures in the legal space that have been honest with me about the realities of the profession. I don't know if I would be comfortable graduating with a degree from the school that accepted me, but I am confident in my ability to work and know that if I have a clear avenue for transferring, I can work hard enough to make it happen.
Ponyupag
AG
I'm a 3L at SMU in Dallas. Had similar stats with a strong LSAT and below average GPA so I may be able to help a little bit. Also had some friends go to various regional law schools and transfer/attempt to transfer. A lot of it depends on your initial law school. PM me if you would like to chat.
Saint Pablo
Ponyupag said:

I'm a 3L at SMU in Dallas. Had similar stats with a strong LSAT and below average GPA so I may be able to help a little bit. Also had some friends go to various regional law schools and transfer/attempt to transfer. A lot of it depends on your initial law school. PM me if you would like to chat.
I sent you a PM a week or so ago. Just a heads up! Thanks.
Kevin83
Waste of money, spend your post-grad years porking strange. You'll be glad when your in your 40s and porking your cow of a wife once a year on your birthday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.