If fall classes are online only - would you send your kid?

18 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GoAgs92
Stressboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a college sophomore going to school out of state but essentially paying the same tuition as Texas schools and I have a soon to be HS senior. Luckily, I don't have a graduating senior. I really feel for those families.

As it stands today, I don't think I want to pay college prices if this is what they get. For the out of stater, I may seriously ask him to transfer to a Texas school (he has gotten into A&M so maybe he could still get in) or if his school is offering any study abroad next fall have him do that instead as he has some scholarships specifically for that. Hopefully next spring things will be on track.

If I had a senior, I would tell them to get a deferral and look at other ways to gain some skills until it gets back to normal.

Of course this is only because universities are afraid of getting sued.

Interested in others takes.
redd38
AG
I don't have kids, let alone one that would be starting college in the fall, but seems like the best option would be to keep them quarantined at home but taking online college classes. Seems like a good way to start your college career with a 4.0 since there wouldn't be any, uh, social distractions. Plus, since they haven't been you college yet they don't know what they're missing, it's just like another semester of online high school for them.
histag10
AG
redd38 said:

I don't have kids, let alone one that would be starting college in the fall, but seems like the best option would be to keep them quarantined at home but taking online college classes. Seems like a good way to start your college career with a 4.0 since there wouldn't be any, uh, social distractions. Plus, since they haven't been you college yet they don't know what they're missing, it's just like another semester of online high school for them.

And you save money on housing and living expenses at college.
GoAgs92
AG
Paying full price for half the quality, what a turd sandwich.

May as well go to community college
bloom
I have asked my tenants if they will return for online classes and they have ALL said that they hate the online learning and feel that they are not really learning as much. They can't do Zoom Study groups that are as effective as in person, etc. Most plan to take a semester off from TAMU and work. Perhaps take filler classes from. Jr college. I think that under the circumstances TAMU would have to allow the gap semester.......and the loss of $$$
Bison
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Paying full price for half the quality, what a turd sandwich.

May as well go to community college
Yes, and from what I've heard, sometimes they're better learning experiences as well, at one-third the cost.

(FULL DISCLOSURE: Bison teaches at HCC, and regularly sends students to become Aggies.)
GoAgs92
AG
HCC online classes any good?

Any idea which classes xfer to 4 year colleges in TX?
AggieAdvisor16
AG
Just keep in mind that you aren't guaranteed your student will be admitted back into A&M if you go the community college route first. Depending on your preferred major, the transfer application process can be incredibly competitive. And you can't do just one semester (unless you have AP/dual credit). You have to have at least 24 credit hours in order to be eligible as a transfer applicant.
CowtownEng
Take a year off.
Texker
AG
The kid is there. Not an ideal situation with class but happy.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Texker said:

The kid is there. Not an ideal situation with class but happy.

Same here.
GoAgs92
AG
What is their day like?

Can they do much other than hang out in the dorm?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.