Suspended Student Reapplying to A&M

2,875 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by histag10
cab365
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was a history student who's been academically dismissed (not suspended) for a year at College of Liberal Arts with just 18 credits away from graduation. I essentially failed a summer course which put me on probation the following semester. I failed to make up the grade points by just one letter grade that following semester and ended up with a 1.94 cumulative gpa. I can't reapply until after the year, and even then it's not guaranteed. What's worse is that if I did manage to get back in, I can't take the few remaining history courses to graduate because I'd have to change majors. The only other major I could realistically apply to is University Studies (Race, Gender, Ethnicity Studies) because I have 115 credits. That would take me at least three or four semesters. If I don't get accepted, then I have to transfer elsewhere and do at least another two or three years with a bunch of wasted credits of money.

I studied at A&M for two years and was so close to graduating. Now, I feel all of that was just wasted. I could've literally done NOTHING for those two years and would be in a better position than I am in now. I feel stuck, angry, and robbed. I don't know what to do.
ElephantRider
AG
Why do you feel stuck/angry/robbed? It sounds like you have only yourself to blame.
cab365
Yeah, you're right. It's the first time I've typed all of this out, and seeing it written brings perspective. I think I'm just more angry at the fact that the move to A&M actually made me worse off in my case.
histag10
AG
No judgement here, as I have a degree in history from A&M, but what made you transfer to A&M for history?

Edit- and why wont the history department let you back in?
cab365
I wanted to improve my writing and then find a career in journalism, but I kept getting a D in Hist 280 and I took Reese's and Parker's 400 level courses when I should've taken 300 level courses (for residency). I can't get back in because once you're suspended from the school you have to choose a different major when reapplying.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
cab365 said:

I can't get back in because once you're suspended from the school you have to choose a different major when reapplying.

Is this some kind of rule related to university level suspensions? I have accepted multiple readmits that I previously dismissed from the department due to poor performance.
cab365
Really? Ms. Jakab from liberal arts advising in the Coke Building told me I'd have to reapply to a different major.

On the second paragraph it even says so. https://us.tamu.edu/Students/Dismissal

Also, I should point out I was dismissed not suspended. I don't think I'd be able to use TexAgs forum if I was suspended.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
The link you shared is talking about being dismissed from a department or college, not dismissal from the university. There is a big difference between the two. If you are referencing the quote below from the website you linked, that is talking about finding a new major after being dismissed from your current major. Dismissal from a major or college doesn't mean you can't still be a student at A&M, it just means you have to find a new major that will take you. For example, I dismissed about 8 students after the fall semester. A couple of them decided to leave A&M, but the majority of them found an easier major that was willing to take them, so they are now taking classes towards that major this spring. I've had some dismissed students go work for a year or two, resolve their maturity issues and then apply as a readmit. I think you might be misunderstanding your options. I would encourage you to visit with a Liberal Arts advisor again, someone from the Undergraduate Studies Office or someone from the Office of Student Success to clarify what all of your options are.

"Once you have been dismissed, you will need to find another major or college. Your can get help with a change of major from your academic advisor."
cab365
I definitely agree that I have my options misunderstood. Thank you for the help.
histag10
AG
cab365 said:

I wanted to improve my writing and then find a career in journalism, but I kept getting a D in Hist 280 and I took Reese's and Parker's 400 level courses when I should've taken 300 level courses (for residency). I can't get back in because once you're suspended from the school you have to choose a different major when reapplying.

A bit of advice- if you have struggled that bad in HIST 280, you might consider a different major. HIST 280 is the base writing and research class for history. If you struggle in that, you will struggle even harder in your senior seminar.

Email me at histag2010@gmail.com. I would live to discuss my personal struggles in history, approaches for history 280, and what you can expect going forward. I struggled with non-history classes, and ended up on probation at one point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.