When your kid is 15%

7,000 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4
Burn-It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a junior & senior who are both ~15% in a high-end 6A high school in a pretty good district. The senior is pretty much screwed, she is deciding between Texas State & Texas Tech w/the thought of getting into dental school afterwards

The junior has an option of going to a nearby high school (different district) & get top 10%. She hates the idea but the idea of A&M automatic entrance is very enticing.

We have 2 at A&M now and the high schoolers both love everything about A&M. The senior was pretty upset she wasn't accepted to Blinn Team and is scrambling to figure everything out. The junior is starting to look at all options.

Any thoughtful responses appreciated ...

AKA 13-0
TAMUAdmissions
AG
She can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950. They will be glad to discuss her options.
double b
AG
Best word of advice for the top 25% junior. Load up on test prep to GUARANTEE her admissions and meet the minimums of 1360 (EBRW - 660 and Math - 620). Everything else is a gamble in today's climate for full admission into Texas A&M.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to have help in the test prep area.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
If the senior wants to be an Aggie that badly, why doesn't she start at Blinn (as a normal student, not the Blinn team) and then transfer to A&M after a year or two? Or go to a system school and do PSA?
Momosmom
I'm pretty sure auto admit is based on rankings at the end of junior year. The transfer would need to happen prior to the senior year.
Stressboy
AG
1. Get a 1350 SAT or better
2. Choose a non-business, non-engineering degree.
3. Get your app in in September

Good odds your kid gets in. My stepson did with a 1360, good grades but not top 15% at our 6A school and applied for Econ in October. Got accepted in January.

Option B, apply to Galveston then keep your grades up and switch departments after year 1. Other son got accepted there with 1200 SAT and even lessor grades but he chose another school (not his best choice but its all working out).

Option C: the PSA program.

histag10
AG
Stressboy said:

Good odds your kid gets in. My stepson did with a 1360, good grades but not top 15% at our 6A school and applied for Econ in October. Got accepted in January.

Option B, apply to Galveston then keep your grades up and switch departments after year 1. Other son got accepted there with 1200 SAT and even lessor grades but he chose another school (not his best choice but its all working out).

The application opens July 1st. I would suggest having it in before September.
Stressboy
AG
histag10 said:

Stressboy said:

The application opens July 1st. I would suggest having it in before September.
I agree sooner the better. If you have a good SAT you have to get in then to try for business but use econ or international studies to get in. Then look at the Bush 5 year Masters degrees.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Couple more things.
Sooner you are offered admission the sooner you can put down a deposit for a dorm. Puts you at the front of the line and increases the chances you get the room style and hall you want. If a friend that wants to room with you is accepted later they can link with you in the housing portal and choose a dorm with the earlier kids date.
So if you get accepted go ahead and put your deposit down right away for a dorm and then you can relax a bit. You actually have until next Spring to accept the offer, your spot will not be given to another kid. Even for Mays. At least this was the case last year, so I would get the app in the first of July because there are thousands of kids that will.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Mays typically fills up during the fall. Once full, admitted freshmen would be asked to choose a different major. In addition, some of the alternative admissions decisions A&M are offering now have limited space. That would be made clear in the applicant's offer letter informing them tp not delay in making their decision.
Prexys Moon
AG
I assume Academic Admit is still in effect- top 25 percent and 1360 on SAT is auto admit, just like top 10%. My son is a junior and will get in with those parameters. 1360 is a good score but not impossible, especially with test prep.
Cruiser87
AG
For Academic admit, you need a minimum 620 Math and 660 EBRW.

My daughter was 1370, with 730 Math, but not enough on EBRW, and got accepted to PSA...
HECUBUS
AG
There is always a path. I know a kid that barely got out of WL. He gave everything to sports. Then he went to ACC and made a 4.0, then he went to tu and made a 4.0, then he got hired as an electrical engineer at Intel. His parents saved a fortune.
MetoliusAg
Thank you for what you do. It is very important work.

I'm an old A&M grad (class of '77) originally from a small town in central Texas. Back in the 70's, my town's high school did nothing to help inform kids about the ins and outs of college, admissions, degree programs, or scholarships. Today that same small town high school does a much better job at it.
double
AG
Hmm. Really?? "Guaranty"???
Jack Cheese
AG
Cruiser87 said:

My daughter was 1370, with 730 Math, but not enough on EBRW, and got accepted to PSA...

1370 and got PSA?? DAMN.
91poohah
Stressboy
AG
Cruiser87 said:

What degree did they apply for?
Macarthur
TAMUAdmissions said:

She can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950. They will be glad to discuss her options.
I am curious about the opinion of someone on the inside regarding class rankings.

As we all know, not all schools are created equal. My kid is 1400 SAT and will most likely be around top 13-14% of his class in a top 6A HS. I have neices and nephews that are easily top 10% in smaller schools with scores that don't even come close to my son.

Really seems like class rank should be down the list of qualifications.
Jack Cheese
AG
Macarthur said:

TAMUAdmissions said:

I am curious about the opinion of someone on the inside regarding class rankings.

As we all know, not all schools are created equal. My kid is 1400 SAT and will most likely be around top 13-14% of his class in a top 6A HS. I have neices and nephews that are easily top 10% in smaller schools with scores that don't even come close to my son.

Really seems like class rank should be down the list of qualifications.

That's literally the whole point, unfortunately. It's expressly about being less objective and more subjective.
Bird Poo
AG
My son scored a 1430 on SAT. He's around 13% in ranking. He could probably get a full ride to Tceh but I won't support that decision. At all.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For holistic review, class rank is just one factor on the list A&M will look at. Other factors are test scores and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.
AggieID
as a parent, and having learned some lessons with my first one who is now a Soph in College of Engineering at TAMU, I will no longer participate in the top 10 or whatever placement wars. My son had a 3.85 weighted gpa (on a 4.o scale), big 6a school, varsity sports, a couple of honor role societies, stem engineering designation and he barely made top 20th percentile. Our goal was NOT that he be accepted as a freshman. Our goal was that he obtain an engineering degree from TAMU. He took his transferred dual college credit courses from high school, a few semesters in junior college and transferred right over. This to me was much better than sweating the top 10% idea. I don't see the value of having to start at your college of choice as a freshman. I hear folks speak of the "freshman experience" and my experience looking in is that half of those freshman fail. Thats some expensive "experience" My point is unless you need them to start at TAMU as a freshman, don't sweat this stuff. I find it pointless because our only requirement is the output, an engineering degree from TAMU
gumgardener
AG
FYI. If she does decide to go to Texas State and is serious about dental school afterwards, you guys should seriously look into the Dental Early Admissions Program there.
Ciboag96
AggieID said:

as a parent, and having learned some lessons with my first one who is now a Soph in College of Engineering at TAMU, I will no longer participate in the top 10 or whatever placement wars. My son had a 3.85 weighted gpa (on a 4.o scale), big 6a school, varsity sports, a couple of honor role societies, stem engineering designation and he barely made top 20th percentile. Our goal was NOT that he be accepted as a freshman. Our goal was that he obtain an engineering degree from TAMU. He took his transferred dual college credit courses from high school, a few semesters in junior college and transferred right over. This to me was much better than sweating the top 10% idea. I don't see the value of having to start at your college of choice as a freshman. I hear folks speak of the "freshman experience" and my experience looking in is that half of those freshman fail. Thats some expensive "experience" My point is unless you need them to start at TAMU as a freshman, don't sweat this stuff. I find it pointless because our only requirement is the output, an engineering degree from TAMU

In what time frame? Did they go to one of the engineering academies that feed TAMU? Will they still need 4 years to graduate?
BoDog
AG
TCU is sounding better and better!
FTAggies
Can always be an Aggie Dentist!!
Gig'em
AG
PearlJammin said:

My son scored a 1430 on SAT. He's around 13% in ranking. He could probably get a full ride to Tceh but I won't support that decision. At all.

You, sir, are a wise man.

Sounds like your son is smart enough to know better, anyway.
AG
AggieID said:

Perfectly stated
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.