kiddo - 32 act (super scored) - good grades

3,107 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mccjames
GenericAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

any shot of getting scholarship money?
We make more than I've read will allow for that.

private school. they don't rank.

thanks.
Dark Helmet
No rank, no money. A&M ain't gonna waste time with that. They have some formula they use to slap a rank on the applicant using various quantifiable measures.

Enjoy the student loans. Most of them only go to poor folks and, y'know, "those" people.

My ACT was 33, top ten percent, but my parents were just barely middle class. Only got two scholarships, both were open only to employees of the companies my parents worked for.
histag10
AG
Did you kid fill out the scholarship application? What are they majoring in? You would honestly be surprised how many people don't fill out the scholarship application, or tell their parents they did when they didn't.

And yes, if they filled out the scholarship application, they have a shot at getting a scholarship; however, scholarships are selected based on more than just rank and/or test scores. Other things that will be considered include extracurricular activities, volunteer experiences, leadership roles/experiences, and their essay to name a few. All scholarship applicants are reviewed through a holistic process. Most of the scholarships also include donor specific criteria that has to be met when awarding.

If you have specific questions about scholarships at Texas A&M University, you can email scholarships@tamu.edu
viejo
A lot depends on socioeconomic status. More than half of incoming A&M students still have a gap in their ability to pay...even after scholarships. We do well financially. My kids weren't granted any scholarship money, both with very high GPA's (3.8+) in two of the most rigorous science majors. Still don't get any. Unless a kid is a National Merit Scholar, kids with need are first in line. Best of luck, but I wouldn't budget on the hope your kid will get a scholarship based on academic performance in High School, or at A&M based on my experience.
histag10
AG
viejo said:

Unless a kid is a National Merit Scholar, kids with need are first in line.

This is false. There are some scholarships where the donors require that the recipients have financial need, but if not specified, need is not even looked at. Now, grants are a different story.
viejo
histag10 said:

viejo said:

Unless a kid is a National Merit Scholar, kids with need are first in line.

This is false. There are some scholarships where the donors require that the recipients have financial need, but if not specified, need is not even looked at. Now, grants are a different story.
I acknowledge that's true. Those tend to go to the National Merit calibre kid. Scholarships for purely academic excellence below the National Merit Scholar level are de minimis. A kid with a 32 ACT score is HIGHLY unlikely to get an academic scholarship.
double b
AG
I worked in scholarships for eight years and was a part of the process when the department switched from a manual awarding process to a metric oriented one.

To get a MERIT-based scholarship, you need to be ranked among top 3-4% of your class coupled WITH a 1450+ SAT or 32 ACT. That puts you in contention for a scholarship and then you also need activities, service, leadership, etc.

Good luck!
GenericAggie
AG
Thanks all. I know I didn't give enough information for a real analysis. I just was curious if the score/grades were enough to have a shot.

Ranger1743
AG
32 ACT is probably in range for NM if he hasn't taken the PSAT yet.
double b
AG
Ranger1743 said:

32 ACT is probably in range for NM if he hasn't taken the PSAT yet.

Actually, that's not true. You'll need closer to a 35 on the ACT. NM scores are among the top 1.0% for their respective state. A score of a 32 is around the top 4%.
Dill-Ag13
AG
32 got me a full ride to LSU but Nada at A&M
mccjames
AG
It is pretty crazy, my daughter has been given 18k a year and in state tuition to Auburn but will get zero from A&M. Have heard this from many people, seems that a lot of universities are giving away a lot of money, but A&M is very tight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.