What was your most memorable class at Texas A&M?

1,619 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dallas82
Aggie Network
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Thanks to everyone who submitted their Center for Teaching Excellence guess and your most memorable class story. We enjoyed reading your stories and were amazed at how many of you responded. In fact, because of your response, we doubled the number of winners from two to four. Congratulations to the following posters who will be getting an Association goodie bag.

• EyeFixer
  • MooreTrucker
  • PC1995
  • reproag

Winners, we'll be in touch.

And for those who didn't win, don't worry, because there will be more opportunities for you. Be on the look out for more trivia giveaways throughout the year. Thanks and gig 'em.

---

The Association of Former Students is proud to support the faculty and staff at Texas A&M, as we know that they play an instrumental part in the success of students every year, especially in the classroom. Answer each of the questions below and we'll select two winners on Monday February 19.

• Texas A&M faculty and staff are supported and train at the Center for Teaching _?_. HINT: Find the answer HERE.
  • Tell us your most memorable class (and why) while at Texas A&M.

DID YOU KNOW that The Association of Former Students provides nearly $150,000 annually to the Office of the Dean of Faculties to support programs like the Center for Teaching Excellence and New Faculty Orientation, as well as many others.

---

The Association of Former Students is the oldest organization serving Texas A&M University in support of the ever-growing Aggie Network. We are HERE for Aggies during their days as students and former students, THERE for Aggies as they make their way around the world and EVERYWHERE that the Aggie Network needs us to be.

Learn more at AggieNetwork.com.
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
HECUBUS
AG
good stuff
Dallas82
Class of '82

The first class I took was a standard English Lit class where I met one of the more amazing teachers I ever knew at A&M. The guy's name was Yates and I think he was just a teaching assistant or a grad student because he wasn't a Professor. The first day we walked in he was dressed in slacks and a worn t-shirt from the A&M Athletic department, the same kind they give you in gym class. He didn't say a word to any of us. He just stood at the doorway and handed out really thick stacks of tests. True False, multiple choice, page after page after page. He pointed at the board and it said, "Write your name on the upper top right corner of every page and answer as many questions as you can." There was no way any of us were going to finish the entire test. When anyone asked him a question about anything, including his name, he would just point to the instructions on the board. While we ran through the tests as fast as we could he would wander around the class silently.

The second day of class I noticed that a few people had already dropped the class in order to take it from another teacher. Mr. Silent stood at the door with a brand new stack of tests which he handed out to each of us as we walked in. The only difference was he called us all by name as we walked in. We still didn't know his name. We were baffled. The instructions were still the same so we answered questions like crazy.

Third day was a Friday and the class was now down about 30% from the original size. Just like the Wednesday before, we got another giant stack of tests. The only difference was at the end of the class he wrote on the board, "For Monday, write two pages on what you think took place this week."
I think my two pages consisted of various ways of saying, "You are a Dick." I may have used more words than that but the meaning was there.

We walked in on Monday and it was like our silent teacher had been replaced with a real person. He had a big smile on his face and wrote his name on the board. I looked around and saw there were only about ten of us left. The rest of the class had dropped in order to take the class from someone else. He said we could ask him anything at all.

"What WAS going on all last week?"
"I hate large classes. We started with sixty and now we have ten. Find me a teacher who wouldn't rather teach to ten people instead of sixty."

"Why the cheap gym t-shirts?"
"I'm cheap. I'm just a TA and we don't make that much. I can get as many of these t-shirts as I want for free."

"How did you know our names in day two?"
"I looked at your tests as you were filling them out and learned your names. The names were written on the top of every page. I'm good with names and faces."

"Why didn't you say anything all week?"
"Again, I hate large classes. There are limited things you can do to get a smaller class. Incenting people to drop is one of them."

I loved this guy. That was a wonderful class.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.