Chances of getting in

38,342 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3in33
FriscoMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello, my Daughter applied to A&M on Aug 2. We thought she would be an auto admit but the scores for the new SAT were higher than the old SAT. Do you think she should retake it? She is ranked 60/477, 3.9 GPA, 1310 on new SAT, lots of volunteer hours, works, plays softball for her High School, NHS and is a member of lots of clubs.
histag10
AG
I feel like students who go through the holistic review are basically a toss up. Seems most of them have about the same stuff on their applications, and it comes down to that one thing that really stands out

Edit- personally, I would retake it, or try the ACT
FriscoMom
Thanks
TAMUAdmissions
AG
She also can call an Admissions Counselor at 979-458-0950. Admissions will use the highest one day score that is received by the deadline.
double b
AG
Contact me. Over the last three years, 10/11 review students have gotten into TAMU. A few had sub 1000 SAT and ranked outside the top quarter.

Contact info in my profile.
UndergroundAg
A&M is letting everyone and anyone in these days so I would say she has a chance.
ToddyHill
AG
This is really sad.

Class of 79 here. I graduated 50/290...solid B+ student, scored 1080 on the 'old' SAT. Graduated with honors from A&M.

No telling how many of today's high school students can't attend A&M.

Hope in your case your daughter gets in.
FriscoMom
Thank you. Lots of other schools want her but she really wants to go to A&M. I hope she gets in too.
Harry Bosch
AG
Friscomom - I would have your daughter try the ACT. I have seen a lot kids score better on that than the new SAT. Just a suggestion.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
If she doesn't get in, I'd go the junior college route. I played junior college baseball and had to pick a school to go to once I got hurt. If your daughter is smart, which I'm guessing she is, she'd have no problems with junior college. I barely studied and got a 3.8 I believe. Now, I'm guessing transfer qualifications might have changed since 2004, but I know junior college was great for me. Knock out a bunch of credits and then transfer into A&M to knock out your major courses.
Runner45
quote:
If she doesn't get in, I'd go the junior college route. I played junior college baseball and had to pick a school to go to once I got hurt. If your daughter is smart, which I'm guessing she is, she'd have no problems with junior college. I barely studied and got a 3.8 I believe. Now, I'm guessing transfer qualifications might have changed since 2004, but I know junior college was great for me. Knock out a bunch of credits and then transfer into A&M to knock out your major courses.
That's a smart way to get a good education and an economical way to get through school. More folks should have your attitude.
FriscoMom
Thanks everyone! She is and only child so really wants to go away to college. Her backup is Texas Tech and she has auto admit there but I hope A&M comes through.
Post removed:
by user
TAMUAdmissions
AG
An applicant's choice of major is not considered when their application is reviewed. If they are accepted, then we look to see if their choice of major is still available. If it is not, we ask them to choose a different major.
FriscoMom
Since she is not an auto admit (although really close) does she have to wait until January or February to find out? Her application was in on Aug 2nd.
double b
AG
Review admits will typically start learning of their decisions in January.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Review applicants may be reviewed multiple times before a decision is made. Those decisions can be made any time between now and March.
FriscoMom
Thank you very much.

Did A&M make the New SAT needed higher because there were so many Auto Admits with the old SAT? 1310 on the New SAP is 1840 on the old according to some of the websites. Just curious.
TxSker
FriscoMom - I would echo the person above who stated to try the ACT. My son had auto admit numbers on both the SAT and ACT but did much better on the ACT.

TAMU Admissions - (FriscoMom I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread) Can you share any insights you may have regarding the new COE holistic review process? My son has already been admitted to TAMU in the class of 2021 as an academic admit but is now in engineering review and awaiting his decision from them in early December. He has a 31 ACT which I think makes him a strong candidate for acceptance along with what I would consider "engineering prep" classes in HS (AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Calculus BC, three years of PLTW engineering courses, ISM Mentoring Program). He has a lot of ECs, Eagle Scout, over 200 hours of community service, sent all three essays and two letters of recommendation. Can you share what the COE will be looking for in the applicants?
Cable0790
AG
They used the SAT concordance tables. Old 1300 = 1360 on the new SAT.
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
Cable0790
AG
They used the SAT concordance tables. Old 1300 = 1360 on the new SAT.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Since this is the first year Engineering has had their early action notification through a holistic review process, we don't have prior information as to what is emphasized. Our understanding is that the process will be consistent with holistic review across campus where we look for well-rounded students. So the criteria would include outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, test scores and class rank.
classof2017mom
quote:
Review applicants may be reviewed multiple times before a decision is made. Those decisions can be made any time between now and March.
Is it rare to find out before February? I haven't heard of anyone hearing before then. My son is in a similar position and waiting until March is super stressful for him.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Most review applicants probably will find out sometime after the first of the year. We are very thorough and applicants may be reviewed multiple times before a decision is made. I do understand it can be very stressful for him. Hopefully he will get good news.
FriscoMom
Thanks All! We are keeping our fingers and toes crossed.
AW90
double b,

I sent you an email through your contact information. I too wanted to know what my daughter's chances are of attending TAMU for an engineering major.

Her scores are 1300 (650 reading/650 math) for the new SAT, she is top 21% of her class, GPA 4.17, is working part-time, volunteers, and is in extra curricular activities with a leadership role. She applied August 1st and has 2 wonderfully written essays.

Any thoughts for her chances of acceptance? It is now too late to retake the SAT and ACT for that matter. Any insight you may have will be appreciated.

Thank you,
vivaAG
AG
To all looking for the raw statistics for TAMU enrollment, go to dars.tamu.edu or specifically dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student

@AW90

I'm just a TAMU student and not affiliated with the Office of Admissions, but I can maybe help by listing what I've found from the TAMU Student Data and Reports links posted above.
[url=http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa15-incl-Galveston.aspx][/url]
FTIC (First Time In College) Admitted/Applied/Enrolled Report Engineering Fall 2015:
  • Applied - 8508
  • Admitted - 5238
  • Enrolled - 2967
  • Acceptance Rate ~ 61.57%

• Common Data Set 2015-2016, Freshman Profile:
  • SAT Critical Reading:
    • 25th Percentile - 520
    • 75th Percentile - 640
  • SAT Math:
    • 25th Percentile - 550
    • 75th Percentile - 670
  • ACT Composite:
    • 25th Percentile - 25
    • 75th Percentile - 30
  • Percent Admitted by Class Rank
    • Top 10 - 66.08%
    • Top Quarter - 90.79%
    • Top Half - 98.59%
    [url=http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/Fall-2015-Norm-Book.aspx][/url]
    Admission Test Scores Fall 2015, Engineering:
  • SAT Composite:
    • Mean - 1268
    • Median - 1290
  • SAT Verb:
    • Mean - 610
    • Median - 620
  • SAT Math:
    • Mean - 659
    • Median - 660
  • ACT Composite:
    • Mean - 29
    • Median - 30

So, your daughter has above average scores for the university but average scores for engineering. The issue is that 2/3rds of incoming freshman are auto admit so I do not know where your daughter lies in respect to class rank.

These reports should be updated later this fall
    plumeria
    The stats for automatic admission are actually much higher, the data posted does not match up scores & rank to reflect the academic admits. I've only seen it posted once for the class of 2018. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile That chart shows 84% of admits are automatic admits, 16% review. Out of the review pool, 13% of review candidates were offered full admission. It is highly competitive within the review pool for full admission. I would imagine that the pool of applicants is getting stronger with each passing year and this year will be even more so with the new engineering holistic review of all applicants.
    OnlyForNow
    AG
    98.6% of kids in the top half of their graduating class get in?

Is that 1%-50% or 26%-50% , seeing as the top 10 and top 25% is already covered there
    TAMUAdmissions
    AG
    As mentioned above, DARS reported the following:

• Percent Admitted by Class Rank
    • Top 10 - 66.08%
    • Top Quarter - 90.79%
    • Top Half - 98.59%

So of the applicants we admitted, 98.59% of the total had been in the top half of their class.
    hdrydor
    AG
    My son was just admitted; a true dream come true for both him and me! He was a review applicant. We live out of state due to my military service. He is top 8% of his high school (#36 out of 442), scored a 27 on the ACT, and had a ton of leadership, volunteer hours, sports and other extracurricular clubs and activities. Just wanted to share his info so it may help those of you still waiting to see what kind of stats are getting accepted now. Good luck to all of you; I know it's very stressful waiting for a decision.
    Cable0790
    AG
    Congratulations and thanks for posting
    Jackson57
    My granddaughter was just accepted as a review candidate too. We are super proud to have another Aggie in the family!
    JustPanda
    AG
    Nephew was accepted into ENGE. Between the election and seeing the departmental rankings, my brother (former diehard sip grad) told him to take the offer, and he could do it over again, he'd be an Aggie.

Took him to AO while they were here, and he just bought tickets to the LSU game and a sideline polo.

Whoop!
    EquiSally
    I am now being reviewed by my second choice major. I had applied with my 1st choice being Animal Science (ag dept) and 2nd being Zoology (sci dept). My AIS has changed both 1st and 2nd to Zoology, with the Note: Your major may change as a normal part of the admission review process. No other info or communications. The stress is mounting. At this point I would be happy with anything. I now know the answer to the question of which is more important, your major or just getting into TX A&M... let me in!
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.