MAYS Transfer Essay review and help-Statement of Purpose

7,530 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by double b
sunnyc1101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[Edited] Hello everybody. I am going to be submitting my application soon for external transfer to Mays for Fall 2016. I had to do this statement of purpose as an essay for the application and I wanted to see if I can get some help/thoughts on the essay. I have edited the essay from the first time I submitted it because I realized that it had too much unnecessary information. I tried to limit all that here in the edit, but please feel free to comment on what you think I should change. Thank you Here it is:

Growing up and living in a motel owned by my father has really expanded my knowledge of business. I have spent countless hours interacting with customers, doing over-night shifts at the front desk, and also have had brief experience with the financials of the property. This real-life business experience has been a great foundation for me to get introduced to the business world. However, for me to reach my ultimate goals in life I must expand on my knowledge and skills of business. I could think of no greater way of expanding these business skills and knowledge than being able to attend Texas A&M and graduate with a degree from a prestigious business school such as Mays. Mays will be able to offer me business courses that will test my ability to think outside of the box and will prepare me for all of the possible obstacles I will face in the future. Though the coursework will be vigorous, I truly believe that everything I learn through my courses and professors at Mays will have an everlasting imprint on my life. Knowing that there is a wide array of majors in the business school, it was tough to figure out what subject I specifically wanted to focus on. After much consideration, I decided that I want to major in Finance. I believe that Finance is really a true fit for me because I have always enjoyed the basic concepts of finance: dealing with numbers, mathematics, and problem solving. Through the years I've spent watching desk at my father's hotels, I have been forced to deal with all kinds of numbers. Though the work is tedious, it has definitely garnered my interest. Another key quality that I have gained through working for my father is how to communicate with people and get my point across. This quality is vital to having a finance degree and is another reason why I believe finance is a great fit for my future endeavors.
"What do you want to do with your life when you grow up?" This question has been asked to me continuously throughout my entire life and I never really had an answer for it until I reached college. Through my three semesters so far in college, I have thought a few different careers I can pursue with my degree. One way I have envisioned using my finance degree is to follow my father's footsteps and build and own my own hotels. However, I do not want to limit myself to only owning hotels. I would love to expand my repertoire to owning other businesses such as restaurants and gyms. Although I've always had a keen interest in business, my love for the medical field has always been there as well. Specifically, over the past couple of years I have become very fond of dentistry. After speaking to a relative that is a dentist, I realized that the worlds of dentistry and business are related much more than what most people believe. Another way I have envisioned of using my finance degree is to open up my own dental practice after four years of dental school and some work experience. The biggest piece of advice I got from my relative was that no matter how good of a dentist somebody is, if they aren't able to handle the business side of dentistry, they will never be able to reach you're their potential as a dentist. A business-savvy individual is always aware of the status of the economy that they are working in. A dentist that is well aware of the economy will be able to adapt to any type of changes and can maximize customer satisfaction and revenue. As I said earlier, an important trait acquired by being a finance degree is effective communication. If I were able to put these communication skills into my everyday dentist life, it would create a better workplace and will maximize contributions from all employees.
Nobody knows what the future holds for me. We live in a world with everlasting changes so I've learned to always keep my options open. However, I know one thing for sure, and that is being able to be a student in Mays will impact my life much more than just business knowledge. Through Mays, I will become a much more innovative and creative person. These qualities will allow me to fulfill my dreams of being a dentist and owning other businesses simultaneously.

TAMUAdmissions
AG
You also can call an Admissions Counselor at 979-458-0950 to get general ideas about what to include or not include.
histag10
AG
My $0.02. You didn't actually get to your "statement of purpose" until almost the end of that. I lost interest quickly, and didn't see how it pertained to admission in the business school (until the very end). The whole first paragraph seemed like a "fan" who knew little about the culture and traditions, and could only point to one of the largest national moments for the University.
GVCVAG
Much better than prior football focus. I agree with prior post that you can also reach out to the help provided by the admissions department.
histag10
AG
Much better! You told them about yourself, and you stated your purpose quickly.

Find an English or history major at your current school, and ask them to proof it for spelling and grammar.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
Find an English or history major at your current school, and ask them to proof it for spelling and grammar.
This.

OldArmy71
AG
Your edit is much better. Here is a version I edited for you that you might take a look at. I am a retired English teacher.

Growing up and living in a motel owned by my father has really expanded my knowledge of business. I have spent countless hours interacting with customers and doing overnight shifts at the front desk as well as having some limited experience with the financial operation of the property. This real-life business experience has been a great foundation for me to get introduced to the business world. However, for me to reach my ultimate goals in life, I must expand on that foundation. I can think of no greater way of expanding these business skills and knowledge than being able to attend Texas A&M and graduate with a degree from a prestigious business school such as Mays. Mays will be able to offer me business courses that will test my ability to think outside of the box and will prepare me for the inevitable obstacles I will face in the future. Though the coursework will be rigorous, I truly believe that everything I learn through my courses and professors at Mays will have an everlasting imprint on my life.

Knowing that there is a wide array of majors in the business school, I had a difficult time deciding what subject I specifically wanted to focus on. After much consideration, I decided that I want to major in Finance. I believe that Finance is a true fit for me because I have always enjoyed dealing with numbers, mathematics, and problem solving. Through the years I've spent working at my father's hotels, I have been forced to deal with all kinds of numbers. Though the work is tedious, it has definitely garnered my interest. Another key quality that I have gained through working for my father is how to communicate with people and get my point across. This quality is vital to having a finance degree and is another reason why I believe finance is a great fit for my future endeavors.

Through my three semesters so far in college, I have thought of several different careers I can pursue with my degree. I might follow my father's footsteps and build and own my own hotels. I might also expand my repertoire to owning other businesses such as restaurants and gyms.

But I also have a keen interest in medicine. Specifically, over the past couple of years I have become very fond of dentistry. Another way I have envisioned of using my finance degree, then, is to open up my own dental practice after four years of dental school and some work experience. After speaking to a relative who is a dentist, I realized that the worlds of dentistry and business are related much more than what most people believe. The biggest piece of advice I got from my relative was that no matter how good a dentist somebody is, if he isn't able to handle the business side of dentistry, he will never be able to reach his potential as a dentist. A business-savvy individual is always aware of the status of the economy that he is working in. A dentist who is well aware of the economy will be able to adapt to any type of changes and can maximize customer satisfaction and revenue.

Nobody knows what the future holds for me. We live in a world with everlasting changes, so I've learned to keep my options open. However, I know one thing for sure, and that is that becoming a student in Mays will impact my life much more than just business knowledge. Through Mays, I will become a much more innovative and creative person. These qualities will allow me to fulfill my dreams of being a dentist and owning other businesses simultaneously.

sunnyc1101
Thanks for the all the help. I recently got my cousin to kinda do a final edit before I turn it in and he thinks that I should have more of an introduction talking about why I'm writing the paper instead of just jumping into the paper like that. To those of you who know how A&M's admissions work, do you guys think its wise for me to add an introduction like that or going straight to the point is the way to go?
histag10
AG
My opinion- they know why you are writing the paper, there is no need for a long introduction, and you alreasy included your statement of purpose.

After the sentence that states you want to attend Mays, break paragraph for the next part. I assumed you would have paragraph breaks in there.
IkePatterson
Wow. Well written, just great. You will almost never need help writing this. I don't write that well, so I use nursingpaper.com to get the results I need quickly and efficiently. Therefore, if you do not have time, or some other reason, you can write to the guys and they will help you.
Fox News Forever
Is getting community help writing an essay a violation of the Honor Code?
double b
AG
Nope. It's also common to seek professional essay consultants.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.