Blinn Team Pros and Cons??

86,366 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by W3.6I6
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes. Campus housing is limited, even though they have added more in recent years.

If living off campus, would she want to live in an off campus dorm (not university affiliated)? The ones I remember are Calloway, Cambridge, and Traditions. I don't know if there are more.

If she hasn't been given a spot in a dorm by June (at the latest), you may consider an apartment. You can either find a roommate for it, or get a studio or 1/1. As long as it's not one of the upscale complexes, the price should be reasonable.
GAMOM
Thank you --she is definitely looking for the residence hall experience if possible. I appreciate the info!
Ag Eng 92
AG
quote:
I appreciate this entire discussion. My daughter is coming from Ga--and there are no peer groups here to get info from! She is VERY excited to be a Blinn TEAM Aggie! She is on the wait list for on campus housing--should she also apply for off campus housing? I appreciate any tips provided! Whoop!

Gamom- my TN daughter is also on the Blinn Team and wait-listed for housing. The housing folks told us there would likely be no trouble getting in a dorm if we were not overly picky. We're in Chattanooga. Our daughter is excited about being an Aggie.
A&Mom
AG
We are also OOS and I've learned that my daughter is thrilled at the opportunity to be a part of Blinn TEAM. At first it was a surprise (mainly because we didn't know the full details), but she's made a few connections with others who were offered TEAM. She couldn't be happier and is very excited for the Fall.

I, too, have heard that housing somehow works out, and it isn't usually a problem getting assigned somewhere.
histag10
AG
By "not overly picky", they are referring to some of the older Northside dorms I would imagine. They aren't bad, I lived in FHK, and despite looking like a 70s motel, we had 1 bathroom for 4 people, rather than some of the floor shared bathrooms (Davis Gary if female). They are older, and not as well planned for today as the newer dorms are, but they are perfectly fine, and have very close knit communities.
SValeAg
My daughter also got Blinn TEAM and is super excited. She is also a really good student with a 3.8 and a 29 ACT but from a school with only 100 seniors - so no auto-admit. She didn't blink an eye to accept. She is entering with 24 dual credits so Blinn TEAM will only be a couple of semesters to meet the 45 hour requirement. I would agree with others - Blinn TEAM is full of good, competitive students.
We opted to do Callaway Villas instead of wait-listing on the dorm. We toured Traditions as well. I liked that one the best, but she decided on Callaway. I actually wanted her to wait list on the dorms. I'm a Fowler hall alum myself. But she was too afraid she would end up with a community bathroom dorm.

Bayou City
Calloway is great. Solid choices all around.

What's her major?
histag10
AG
Fowler 233 here
A&Mom
AG
My daughter, who was accepted in Feb for TEAM, just learned that she's now off the campus housing waitlist. This doesn't mean that she has her permanent dorm assignment, but it guarantees that she has a place to live on campus at this point. The notice that was emailed to her said that the permanent assignment will come around late May.
SValeAg
right now they have put her in General Studies because of Blinn TEAM. But she wants to transition into Nutritional Science.
SValeAg
@histag I was Fowler 308 (I think that the right #) for 2 years 89-91. Then Leggit for a year.
W3.6I6
AG
The major "pro" of Blinn TEAM are the established pathways into the most coveted majors at Texas A&M.

The most coveted majors at A&M fill up quickly with the early accepted automatically admitted applicants (the top 10%ers). If you are accepted later in the process because you do not meet the auto-admissions standards, you cannot choose a major that is already full.

My son is on Blinn TEAM and on the pathway to Mays Business School.

Had my son been fully admitted, the Mays Business major would have been already full with the auto-admitted early acceptance students. He would not had an opportunity to choose Mays. He would have had to choose another major. His only opportunity to enroll in Mays would be to apply for a transfer each semester. The transfer application for Mays is crazy competitive. Essentially, it takes a 4.0 to transfer into Mays for current A&M students.

Since my son is on the Blinn pathway to Mays, he has a legitimate chance of making it into Mays. The GPA he must maintain for certain courses is very challenging, but it is a guaranteed acceptance into Mays if he can make the grades.

We are actually blessed that he has an opportunity to attend Mays Business school despite not being in the the top 10% of his high school class.
W3.6I6
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Just go to another school you get into, and if after 30 credit hours you still really want to go to a&m transfer in.

If you want a degree from A&M, this is an option.

If you want to be an Aggie - go to fish camp, live in a dorm, join student organizations, attend sporting events- then Blinn TEAM is the only way to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.