Chicago Public Schools: $500 Million Deficit, Falling Enrollment

2,208 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Maroon Dawn
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2024/10/21/chicago-schools-covid-money-crisis/

" Thousands of people have been hired at the Chicago Public Schools over the past few years, fueled by $2.8 billion in federal covid relief funding. Now the money is gone, but no one wants to reduce the workforce, and an ugly budget fight has plunged one of the nation's largest districts into a financial and leadership crisis.
The new teachers, aides and school nurses, officials say, were desperately needed even before the pandemic extracted a severe toll on the city's children. But no one in the district has a plan for how to keep paying them."

" The schools want more money from the city. The city wants more money from the state. And the governor says Chicago shouldn't expect a bailout."

" Other school districts around the country may soon face similar budget reckonings as the covid relief money runs out, experts say, though most would be challenged to match Chicago's level of chaos.
"This is what it looks like when you burn a district down," said Marguerite Roza, director of the Edunomics Lab at Georgetown University. "It is a level of dysfunction that feels beyond destabilizing, enough to make people lose confidence in the system."

" Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, a former teacher who is closely aligned with the Chicago Teachers Union, says he won't tolerate cuts to the schools staff, which he refers to as laying off "Brown and Black women." He also insists that the schools make the pension payment (which the district agreed to do a few years ago), even though the city is legally responsible for it."

" In another racially charged statement, Johnson dismissed the "so-called fiscally responsible stewards" who have criticized his loan plan, comparing them to supporters of the Confederacy.
"The argument was you can't free Black people because it would be too expensive," the mayor said this month. "They said that it would be fiscally irresponsible for this country to liberate Black people. And now, you have detractors making the same argument of the Confederacy when it comes to public education in this system."

///
Pretty novel argument for total budgetary dysfunction:
Blame the Confederate States of America, the former members of which are dedicated to fiscal sanity.

“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Tom Fox
Logos Stick
Harris will try to bail them out if elected.

It's all racism all the time with black libs.
Ag87H2O
AG

I hope they eviscerate each other.

If they can't figure out simple math, they shouldn't be teaching anyway.
Logos Stick
Who is providing the money to allow them to run a deficit?
rocky the dog
AG

More money for public schools is NOT the answer.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Ag with kids
AG
rocky the dog said:

You can turn off signatures, btw
deddog
AG
Democrats don't throw money at education to educate kids.
They throw money, so that the teachers vote democrat, and indoctrinate the kids to do the same when they grow up.

Squadron7
AG
The dollars spent per kid in the Chicago schools is astronomically high.
TheEternalOptimist

Problem 1: Teachers Unions

Problem 2: Crony Democrats protecting and funding Teachers Unions.

Problem 3: Parents

Problem 4: Removing the Bible, Christianity, and Christian morality from the schools.
Ag with kids
AG
deddog said:

They throw money, so that the teachers vote democrat, and indoctrinate the kids to do the same when they grow up.

I lucked out.

Both my parents were teachers. My dad was from San Antonio but my mom (RIP) was from Syracuse.

But, I never knew how they voted and they didn't even try to influence me overtly.

Hell, when I lived in England, there was a news story about Carter coming to visit and bringing his family. I told my folks we should invite them to stay with us (I was probably 8). My folks told me to write a letter to the President.

So I did. And I got a response...sure it was a form letter, but it was really cool for a kid to get that from President Carter.

After I moved out and went to A&M and came back to visit I was surprised how ****ing conservative BOTH of them were. My mom was even more hardcore than my dad.
YouBet
AG
This is amazing.

Not only is this white people's fault. It's white people from the 1860s.

The South has risen again!
BigRobSA
Ag with kids said:

deddog said:

I lucked out.

Both my parents were teachers. My dad was from San Antonio but my mom (RIP) was from Syracuse.

But, I never knew how they voted and they didn't even try to influence me overtly.

Hell, when I lived in England, there was a news story about Carter coming to visit and bringing his family. I told my folks we should invite them to stay with us (I was probably 8). My folks told me to write a letter to the President.

So I did. And I got a response...sure it was a form letter, but it was really cool for a kid to get that from President Carter.

After I moved out and went to A&M and came back to visit I was surprised how ****ing conservative BOTH of them were. My mom was even more hardcore than my dad.

No wonder you're the moderatest CM ever to CM.

Big ups to your mom.
Ag with kids
AG
BigRobSA said:

Ag with kids said:

deddog said:

I lucked out.

No wonder you're the moderatest CM ever to CM.

Big ups to your mom.
No way I could ever be more CM than you.

You're the CMOG!
Ribeye-Rare
AG
PCC_80
AG
Quote:

Thousands of people have been hired at the Chicago Public Schools over the past few years, fueled by $2.8 billion in federal covid relief funding.
My question is why are people still spending Covid money ? ? That money should have been pulled back in the Summer of 2021 when everyone that wanted a shot of Fauci Juice had gotten a shot of Fauci Juice.

At least once a week I read about people still using Covid money for something or argueing how to spend leftover Covid money. Covid money was supposed to have been used for the pandemic. Once the pandemic was over the unused money should have been pulled back. Aggravating.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Logos Stick said:

Who is providing the money to allow them to run a deficit?

You are. Once you start paying sn even fairer share, this will all be fixed. And also all prices will come dpwn.
BboroAg
AG
TheEternalOptimist said:

Problem 4: Removing the Bible, Christianity, and Christian morality from the schools.

Your #4 is #1….everything else follows
ts5641
The solution is to give more money, increase teacher pensions, and give teachers more time off, and make it impossible to fire them.
ts5641
Logos Stick said:

Harris will try to bail them out if elected.

It's all racism all the time with black libs.
Of course she would. Then in 10 years when they're right back in the same boat some leftist will do it again with your money.
UTExan
From WaPo reader comments:
" US DOE NCES _Digest of Education Statistics_
2020-2021 US K-12 public schools
Revenue: $837,337,948,000
Enrollment: 49,374,751
Revenue per pupil: $16,958

Illinois:
Revenue: $40,806,610,000
Enrollment: 1,886,137
Revenue per pupil: $21,635

Chicago Public School District
Revenue: $7,446,508,000
Enrollment: 341,382
Revenue per pupil: $21,812

Alpine School District, Utah
Revenue: $803,172,000
Enrollment: 82,800
Revenue per pupil: $9,700"

///

Corrected Chicago public schools spending: $26,000 per student.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Another Democrat controlled inner city school system in the death spiral.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Chicago schools don't care at all about what's best for the kids and their scores reflect it

To them schools are jobs programs for unionized Dem teachers to secure their votes and nothing more.

They're fighting to keep failing schools with minimal attendance open to protect those jobs and nothing more even though it's an insane and unjustified waste of public tax payer dollars to do so
Burdizzo
AG
rocky the dog said:

Well, those tests are racists. Anything that suggests accountability is racist.
Trajan88
AG
How many of the students in the Chicago school district are not U.S. citizens... are here illegally or are "asylum" seekers?
B-1 83
AG
BboroAg said:

TheEternalOptimist said:

Yeah, those little Hindu kids are known hellions from the get go. It starts at home, and people expect those teachers to housebreak their little house apes.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Gilligan
AG
BboroAg said:

TheEternalOptimist said:

Remove the bloat and wasted administration.

Start with removing the Dept of Education.

Test scores across the country have only gone down since the DoE was created.
Yesterday
AG
It doesn't matter how much you spend per student if the parents don't care. Our kids are in Carroll ISD and I'm convinced you could swap our teachers with Dallas ISD and nothing would change for either district. Parent involvement is the number 1 factor when it comes to good schools.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Unreal. Our kids are in a high-performing urban 5A school district and they spend 10k per kid after Robin Hood funds are taken from our tax dollars.

Money is tight but the whole community has buy-in and parents and teachers are fully engaged. Results are visible and quantifiable.

There lies the difference. More can be done with less.
Logos Stick
Depends on the type of rock being polished, imo.
Squadron7
AG
Yesterday said:

It doesn't matter how much you spend per student if the parents don't care. Our kids are in Carroll ISD and I'm convinced you could swap our teachers with Dallas ISD and nothing would change for either district. Parent involvement is the number 1 factor when it comes to good schools.

Didn't you get the memo?

Parental involvement is racist now.

If you read to your child you consign another student to poverty and disenfranchisement.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Success is 3 things:

Parents who care about getting their kids the best education

Students who care about their academic career

Teachers who care about their students learning the material

All 3 make for incredible results even without fancy funding (as most Catholic schools are proof of with shoe string budgets)

Only 2 of 3 can still succeed but will be more challenging

None of 3 gets you Chicago and Baltimore level results despite being the highest funded districts in the country
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.