The younger generations are struggling to achieve adult milestones

11,400 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by CampSkunk
Tom Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_of_08 said:

Im at a point right now that things are very dead end, but I'm trying to get the degree squared away, and in about 2 years everything will be payed off to the point I can try to make a change.

Im only 5 years away from having a retirement if i can stay in the same field/retirement system, so I may have to make small moves. Job market is also hosed for the next couple of years, so I have some time and vague stability to get ahead..... i hope.
Baby steps, but keep moving forward. I vested my fed retirement before leaving. That is not a bad play.

I also was a prosecutor right after law school and didn't open my firm until 44. You have time but have to make a move by mid 40s so you can get a good 20 years in the new career.

Good luck.
C@LAg
well, the youth (18-29) are voting for democrats and democrat policies by a 28 point margin, which directly adds more taxes and burdens to them, as well as general economic burdens to creating new housing, new cars, spending on mass transit instead of fixing roads, bringing in tons of illegals to fill jobs at lower rates and spending money hand over fist on social issues with no intention of ever solving them.

so it seems they are in the FO phase of their FAing voting preferences.
Naveronski
AG
Interesting posts from the "I'm old and made $$, life was easy, but you millennials are too concerned about Instagram" posters.

COL is exponentially higher than when you were young, houses are either $300k+ or bought up by large rental companies, wages have stagnated vs inflation, etc.

Several posters in this thread could pay tuition with what they earned from a summer job. Now? lol good luck, you're not even close.

I'm a millennial with a pretty decent engineering job and earn more now than my father ever did, but the numbers don't mean nearly what they used to.
Tergdor
AG
dmart90 said:

starter house was about $75k in '90. Closer to $400k today.
Brand new starter homes with good builders are right around/under $300k in Texas. Fixer uppers are regularly under $150k or even $100k. Older/used homes with decent bones can be gotten in the low $200's as long as it isn't on 1+ acres or if there isn't a Californian overpaying for it.

The mortgage on my 3-bedroom brand-new starter home is only about $100 more than the rent was on my one-bedroom apartment, and rent got bumped up almost $200 when I moved out. I know there are coworkers paying more for rent than I am for mortgage.

People aren't buying homes because they can't afford the down payment or get the credit requirement. They'd be able to afford the mortgage payments otherwise.
Urban Ag
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

I'm in my late 30s, but have friends that run through into their twenties.... not a single one of them cares about Instagram followers sans a couple that are using it as a side hustle.

They care about the fact that, even with a degree, a lot of them aren't even making it. I care about the fact I'm working a job that payed me what I considered an excellent wage 15yrs ago when I started is becoming an absolute dead end and only paying 5$ an hour more.... my only way out is starting over, and there's no way I can afford to do that.

Not intending to sound like an a-hole but if you're stuck in a job that was great 15 years ago and paying $5 more an hour now................

THAT'S ON YOU

Seriously, you had 15 years to get to this point?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

dmart90
AG
Caliber said:

dmart90 said:

A decent, midpoint car cost about $12k in '90. There's nothing under $20k today.

A starter house was about $75k in '90. Closer to $400k today.

We have a real problem.

Compare apples to apples. Why is that car so much more? Look at all the government regulation requirements combined with all the extras everyone "needs".

Agree 100%!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

I'm in my late 30s, but have friends that run through into their twenties.... not a single one of them cares about Instagram followers sans a couple that are using it as a side hustle.

They care about the fact that, even with a degree, a lot of them aren't even making it. I care about the fact I'm working a job that payed me what I considered an excellent wage 15yrs ago when I started is becoming an absolute dead end and only paying 5$ an hour more.... my only way out is starting over, and there's no way I can afford to do that.

I left my career making 130k at 38 and went to law school in 2012.

12 years later, I own my own business and make right at 7 figures. It is doable depending on you and your risk tolerance.

I have a useless degree(scratch that...i never finished and am not sure i can now) and no real way to change my circumstances. I truthfully don't know if i finished the thing there's anything I could really do. I know my field exceptionally well, it just doesn't pay unfortunately.

That's where a huge number of us stand unfortunately..... we effed up at 18-21, now there's no real comeback
There's always a way. But it either might not seem obvious, or it's more work than you're comfortable doing.

For me, ages 31-33 was when I earned my MBA. That was a major hassle. But if I hadn't earned my degree in the first place, that's what I would have done at that time.

I've got a family member who fits into this marginally educated demographic. She got enough education to get a job that pays her well enough that she can live independently but, there's zero upward trajectory in that job. She refuses to get any additional training or education or certification in areas related to her current job (stuff you could do at a JuCo) so, there's no opportunity for her to do anything else.

Meanwhile, she's on social media blaming White Men for her lack of success.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Naveronski said:

Interesting posts from the "I'm old and made $$, life was easy, but you millennials are too concerned about Instagram" posters.

COL is exponentially higher than when you were young, houses are either $300k+ or bought up by large rental companies, wages have stagnated vs inflation, etc.

Several posters in this thread could pay tuition with what they earned from a summer job. Now? lol good luck, you're not even close.

I'm a millennial with a pretty decent engineering job and earn more now than my father ever did, but the numbers don't mean nearly what they used to.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 54 years old and am still driving the 1999 Ford Expedition I bought when I was 28. I do have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I spent way too much money on but I have worked a long time to get there.

Teachers in Houston ISD aren't making $18k to start anymore. They're making $60k. Yeah a starter home isn't $100k anymore, maybe it's $300k but it doesn't have to be.

Now if you want to talk California, Rookie cops are making $85-$100k. Sure they'll never be able to afford a 1,250 sq ft home in Burbank or Glendale but there are plenty of homes available for $300k in the Inland Empire.

As far as summer jobs paying the cost of tuition, yeah that wasn't a thing during my time at A&M. I think it was guys in the 1970s who were the last ones to enjoy that luxury. Nevermind Senior Boots, Aggie Ring, etc. I poured a lot of concrete to pay for those.
Bocephus
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

12 years later, I own my own business and make right at 7 figures. It is doable depending on you and your risk tolerance.

I have a useless degree(scratch that...i never finished and am not sure i can now) and no real way to change my circumstances. I truthfully don't know if i finished the thing there's anything I could really do. I know my field exceptionally well, it just doesn't pay unfortunately.

That's where a huge number of us stand unfortunately..... we effed up at 18-21, now there's no real comeback
There's always a way. But it either might not seem obvious, or it's more work than you're comfortable doing.

For me, ages 31-33 was when I earned my MBA. That was a major hassle. But if I hadn't earned my degree in the first place, that's what I would have done at that time.

I've got a family member who fits into this marginally educated demographic. She got enough education to get a job that pays her well enough that she can live independently but, there's zero upward trajectory in that job. She refuses to get any additional training or education or certification in areas related to her current job (stuff you could do at a JuCo) so, there's no opportunity for her to do anything else.

I admit it, I am standing directly in her path to success. She WILL NOT get there on my watch.

I would buy the home price argument if homes weren't $300K in NY in the 90's with everyone figuring out how to buy one. They did it while making under $100K. I don't think people want to sacrifice as much as they used to. Work/life balance was not a thing when I entered the workforce.

Getting married later and having kids later is not as big of a deal to me. I do think that the number of kids not driving these days at 16 is a major indicator of life being too easy at home.

I also think a legit recession solves a lot of these problems.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
BigRobSA
HollywoodBQ said:

Naveronski said:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 54 years old and am still driving the 1999 Ford Expedition I bought when I was 28. I do have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I spent way too much money on but I have worked a long time to get there.

Teachers in Houston ISD aren't making $18k to start anymore. They're making $60k. Yeah a starter home isn't $100k anymore, maybe it's $300k but it doesn't have to be.

Now if you want to talk California, Rookie cops are making $85-$100k. Sure they'll never be able to afford a 1,250 sq ft home in Burbank or Glendale but there are plenty of homes available for $300k in the Inland Empire.

As far as summer jobs paying the cost of tuition, yeah that wasn't a thing during my time at A&M. I think it was guys in the 1970s who were the last ones to enjoy that luxury. Nevermind Senior Boots, Aggie Ring, etc. I poured a lot of concrete to pay for those.

I still hate you for getting rid of your M3!

Island Mexicans!!! </shakes head>

Kidding...I could never quit you!
JWinTX
I'll tell you, some politician will run on this one day-make college more affordable by making it only about the career field you want to go into. Want a business degree from A&M? Take three years of business classes only. No electives, no fine arts, not language, no history, nada. Same with degrees in these other areas. Makes for sharper grads, and will also incentive getting a Masters Degree, as if maybe adds on another year.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BigRobSA said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Naveronski said:

I still hate you for getting rid of your M3!

Island Mexicans!!! </shakes head>

Kidding...I could never quit you!
I Love You too Big Rob (as we used to say in LA) in a non gay way of course.

Frankly, selling my 2002 M3 when I moved to Australia is still a sore spot but, I did it to myself. Nobody to blame but me.

And for the conversation in this thread, I was back "home" in Puerto Rico last year and you can get a little concrete house in the neighbourhood I lived in when I was a toddler for about $40k. If there's a will, there's a way
HollywoodBQ
AG
Bocephus said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

I admit it, I am standing directly in her path to success. She WILL NOT get there on my watch.

I would buy the home price argument if homes weren't $300K in NY in the 90's with everyone figuring out how to buy one. They did it while making under $100K. I don't think people want to sacrifice as much as they used to. Work/life balance was not a thing when I entered the workforce.

Getting married later and having kids later is not as big of a deal to me. I do think that the number of kids not driving these days at 16 is a major indicator of life being too easy at home.

On the not driving thing, it was like pulling teeth to get my kids to learn to drive.

Over on the Automotive board, it's a recurring conversation topic about encouraging kids to drive.

Kids these days are happy to have their parents drive them, or take Uber, or just do stuff online instead of in person.

Last wedding I went to, the 200 lb bride and 150 lb groom met on some app called Hinge.
Frok
AG
Quote:

I think social media is more likely the reason, they can connect with their friends without leaving the house.

Rocky Rider
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Spot on. I'll add to this that based on my observations too many in their 20's and 30's played around for a decade, or more, after high school. Now they desperately want what their parents have but they refused to take the path their parents took because it didn't look like it was fun.
Aggies1322
AG
Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

You should read the anxious generation.. it literally is the Boomers fault. Generally speaking they were pretty bad parents.
Rattler12
AtticusMatlock said:

Dan Scott said:

Median income with a bachelor degree is about 2x compared to 1990. Median 4 year degree is about 10x

Yep. Cost of Education, cost of homeownership, cost of vehicles, cost of everything.
Yep the newest I phone every year, the loaded vehicles, the 3300 sq ft house with pool, the $50 wagyu steaks, the eating out every meal, the latest greatest fashion statement, the full arm tats........all those things costs lots of money .......
Trigon Jin
LuoJi said:

Pull up a chart of median income. Pull up a chart of median home value.

Policy from both R and D of endless wars and inflation.

I think allot of it has to do with technology, in addition to the points you mentioned.
Rattler12
dmart90 said:

Caliber said:

dmart90 said:

A decent, midpoint car cost about $12k in '90. There's nothing under $20k today.

A starter house was about $75k in '90. Closer to $400k today.

We have a real problem.

Compare apples to apples. Why is that car so much more? Look at all the government regulation requirements combined with all the extras everyone "needs".

Agree 100%!
My first new truck in 1974 had ROLL UP windows, a 3 speed standard, a bench seat AND AM RADIO .....Oh the horrors.......but it was marron and white so .....
Rocky Rider
AG
Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

You should read the anxious generation.. it literally is the Boomers fault. Generally speaking they were pretty bad parents.

Funny in a way , but really a sad POV. If millennials spent more time listening to their parents and less time listening to social media they wouldn't have to play the victim card today. First gen raised by social media and it didn't turn out well.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I have this on my reading list. I have heard good things about it.
Rattler12
HollywoodBQ said:

Bocephus said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

On the not driving thing, it was like pulling teeth to get my kids to learn to drive.

Over on the Automotive board, it's a recurring conversation topic about encouraging kids to drive.

Kids these days are happy to have their parents drive them, or take Uber, or just do stuff online instead of in person.

Last wedding I went to, the 200 lb bride and 150 lb groom met on some app called Hinge.
I didn't get my license until I was 14 but I didn't let that stop me. When I was 10 I was driving a 1944 Farmall H tractor all over NE Karnes Co dirt roads .........didn't need a license to drive one of them. Pop let me repaint it from red to silver........Hi YO Silver...away
Cynic
Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

That is not what that book said, it was about social media re-wiring our brains. Yes, it speaks to parents but never lays any generational blame.
Trigon Jin
Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

That maybe true, but there are plenty of bad or absent parents, who have had kids that made good choices (some of them have been, or are Aggie Football Players); so I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Anyone completely agreeing, or disagreeing is only considering data that supports their belief(s).

I honestly think technology plays a bigger role in all this that most people think though...before mapquest etc. people had to learn to make preparations for something like a road trip. Do I have quarters for a payphone, do I have enough cash for gas, do I have the right paper maps, and so on. I think when life was a bit more difficult in that respect, it cultivated behaviors that translated well into the workplace or life in general, and technology taking away some of the difficulty of life could be a big factor in why people seem more lazy or anxious in the modern era.
ts5641
Inflation is destroying a lot of their dreams. Almost impossible to buy a decent home now without an astronomical mortgage payment.
Aggies1322
AG
Cynic said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

That is not what that book said, it was about social media re-wiring our brains. Yes, it speaks to parents but never lays any generational blame.

Correct - the book doesn't explicitly name Boomers, but I would imagine that is the primary generation of the parents of those born in 1995 until 2000? Roughly. It's not just about social media, it is about the parenting styles of those who had kids during "anxious generation" (defined as 1995 until now since no changes have been made to parenting). Parents were overprotective when their kids did normal kids things (played outside, climbed trees, etc) and under parented kids on their usage of the internet/social media/video games. Since kids are ignorant, it is the fault of the adult rather than the kid.
MemphisAg1
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

If you're <50 years old, there's always time to get on the right track.

I was a wild child coming out of high school and knew it, so I went into the service 18-22 to get most of that wild behavior out of my system. Didn't start college until 22 and pushed straight through with a graduate degree. Didn't start my first job til 27 and then had three kids within 3 years. My outgo was more than my income for many years. I was mid 30's before I had disposable income (money left over after paying bills).

Fast forward 25 years and I've put 3 kids through college debt free, travel with my wife wherever we want to go, have a nice place in the country for recreation, and on the verge of a very comfortable retirement.

Stop making excuses, pick a path that gets you to where you want to go, and then do it. The world is your oyster if you are willing to delay gratification and make the sacrifices necessary to accomplish your goal. It doesn't come easy or cheap, but it can be done.
agracer
AG
JWinTX said:

I'll tell you, some politician will run on this one day-make college more affordable by making it only about the career field you want to go into. Want a business degree from A&M? Take three years of business classes only. No electives, no fine arts, not language, no history, nada. Same with degrees in these other areas. Makes for sharper grads, and will also incentive getting a Masters Degree, as if maybe adds on another year.
History and Personal Finance should be mandatory. And if you don't get a B or above, you have to take it over.

History should also include 1/2 the semester on communism and how many people it's killed.
Caliber
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Ag_of_08 said:

If you're <50 years old, there's always time to get on the right track.

I was a wild child coming out of high school and knew it, so I went into the service 18-22 to get most of that wild behavior out of my system. Didn't start college until 22 and pushed straight through with a graduate degree. Didn't start my first job til 27 and then had three kids within 3 years. My outgo was more than my income for many years. I was mid 30's before I had disposable income (money left over after paying bills).

Fast forward 25 years and I've put 3 kids through college debt free, travel with my wife wherever we want to go, have a nice place in the country for recreation, and on the verge of a very comfortable retirement.

Stop making excuses, pick a path that gets you to where you want to go, and then do it. The world is your oyster if you are willing to delay gratification and make the sacrifices necessary to accomplish your goal. It doesn't come easy or cheap, but it can be done.
Delayed Gratification?? NO, I WANT IT ALL RIGHT NOW! WHY ARE ALL YOU BIG OLD BADDIES HOGGING ALL THE WEALTH!

Or something like that....

And it doesn't land solely on the kids. So many helicopter parents hover over their early adult decisions, push them to the more expensive apartments because they are "safer" and all sorts of things like that.

For every good parent setting their kids up for success, there are probably 10 more hamstringing them in one way or another.

Cynic
Aggies1322 said:

Cynic said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

Correct - the book doesn't explicitly name Boomers, but I would imagine that is the primary generation of the parents of those born in 1995 until 2000? Roughly. It's not just about social media, it is about the parenting styles of those who had kids during "anxious generation" (defined as 1995 until now since no changes have been made to parenting). Parents were overprotective when their kids did normal kids things (played outside, climbed trees, etc) and under parented kids on their usage of the internet/social media/video games. Since kids are ignorant, it is the fault of the adult rather than the kid.

I read it as more of a societal issue than specific parents. Sure, the parents have been over-protective, but that is largely due to society moving that way. Kids born in that period would be boomers and some Gen x'rs. Either way, it doesn't matter which generation was around, it's the technology and uber-safety focus that started the shift.

The generational blame game is unproductive, we all have to figure out what to do about this issue going forward.
Bocephus
AG
Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

My boomer parents gave me unconditional love, constantly sacrificed to give me the life they did not have as children, were exceptional grandparents to their grandchild, when they passed they even left me with a little inheritance. Yep, they sucked.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Aggies1322
AG
Bocephus said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

My boomer parents gave me unconditional love, constantly sacrificed to give me the life they did not have as children, were exceptional grandparents to their grandchild, when they passed they even left me with a little inheritance. Yep, they sucked.

I know that reading can be difficult… but I said "generally speaking". My boomer parents did fairly well raising me - so I would also be an exception to the rule.
Bocephus
AG
Cynic said:

Aggies1322 said:

Cynic said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

I read it as more of a societal issue than specific parents. Sure, the parents have been over-protective, but that is largely due to society moving that way. Kids born in that period would be boomers and some Gen x'rs. Either way, it doesn't matter which generation was around, it's the technology and uber-safety focus that started the shift.

The generational blame game is unproductive, we all have to figure out what to do about this issue going forward.

You are correct on the generational blame. I laugh when Gen Z blamed the Boomers, then re-elects the Boomer aged congressmen bc they promise to "forgive" their debts
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Bocephus
AG
Aggies1322 said:

Bocephus said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

I know that reading can be difficult… but I said "generally speaking". My boomer parents did fairly well raising me - so I would also be an exception to the rule.

So what did the Boomers do that was so bad? Most Gen X kids I know were latchkey kids who have turned out alright.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Aggies1322
AG
Bocephus said:

Aggies1322 said:

Bocephus said:

Aggies1322 said:

Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.

So what did the Boomers do that was so bad? Most Gen X kids I know were latchkey kids who have turned out alright.

It's explained above.. they became afraid of every shadow and overparented kids doing normal kid things like playing outside, doing risky things on the playground, etc. Then as technology was introduced they underparented kids with respect to devices. This "re-wired" the brains of kids. Again, it started with boomers but has persisted with the next generation of parents as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.