The younger generations are struggling to achieve adult milestones

11,375 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by CampSkunk
TheWoodlandsTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

It is getting worse and worse according to the data.

A 2023 30 year old would be 31 right now and born in 1993. That would be in the millennial generation.
Owlagdad
In before boomers fault.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Reminds me of Zach Galafanakis when he said he is a "stay-at-home son"
LuoJi
Pull up a chart of median income. Pull up a chart of median home value.

Policy from both R and D of endless wars and inflation.
PA24
AG
LuoJi said:

Yep
Urban Ag
AG
There is no question that marriage and birth rates are way down and continue to decline.

I would like to see those charts blown out to at least the mid 30's. I have some millennial cousins and second cousins in their early to mid 30's who have recently married and starting families. One just got married at 35 a few months ago and his wife is already pregnant.
Dan Scott
AG
Median income with a bachelor degree is about 2x compared to 1990. Median 4 year degree is about 10x
TheWoodlandsTxAg
BadMoonRisin said:

LOL.

Get Off My Lawn
LuoJi said:

At least the MAGA wing of the (R) party is courting the middle class. Sure, the establishment wing is fighting it, but at least there's SOME (R)s who want the system to work for honest working common folk.
C@LAg
Owlagdad said:

In before boomers fault.
Akshually....

Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump are all boomers, so...
AtticusMatlock
Dan Scott said:

Median income with a bachelor degree is about 2x compared to 1990. Median 4 year degree is about 10x

Yep. Cost of Education, cost of homeownership, cost of vehicles, cost of everything.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
YouBet
AG
Less than half of 30 yr olds have ever married is kind of wild.
AgDad121619
AG
Dan Scott said:

yes. The universities have pulled one of the biggest scams of all time - they steal money via student loans spent on worth less degrees, and students default on their loan the government is the one that losses the money and taxpayers bear the brunt. They inflated costs and hired staff to support the grift.
YouBet
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Dan Scott said:

yes. The universities have pulled one of the biggest scams of all time - they steal money via student loans spent on worth less degrees, and students default on their loan the government is the one that losses the money and taxpayers bear the brunt. They inflated costs and hired staff to support the grift.

Courtesy of Obamacare.
tysker
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

LuoJi said:

At least the MAGA wing of the (R) party is courting the middle class. Sure, the establishment wing is fighting it, but at least there's SOME (R)s who want the system to work for honest working common folk.

MAGA will unite the workers of the world!
sam callahan
Possibly because they have lived the most extravagant lives in the history of mankind and had to do very little and sacrifice nothing to get it, so they've never been forced to grow up.

TheWoodlandsTxAg
BadMoonRisin said:

Ag_of_08
AG
Now look at average cost of living, food, etc.

Salary growth that does not even touch the COL and inflation means nothing.
Ag_of_08
AG
Defaulted loans usually end up with wage garnishment.

I agree universities are nothing but grift, whole heartedly, but..
HollywoodBQ
AG
sam callahan said:

Possibly because they have lived the most extravagant lives in the history of mankind and had to do very little and sacrifice nothing to get it, so they've never been forced to grow up.
Most of them don't care about anything other than a following on Instagram.
Ag_of_08
AG
I'm in my late 30s, but have friends that run through into their twenties.... not a single one of them cares about Instagram followers sans a couple that are using it as a side hustle.

They care about the fact that, even with a degree, a lot of them aren't even making it. I care about the fact I'm working a job that payed me what I considered an excellent wage 15yrs ago when I started is becoming an absolute dead end and only paying 5$ an hour more.... my only way out is starting over, and there's no way I can afford to do that.
Tom Fox
Ag_of_08 said:

I'm in my late 30s, but have friends that run through into their twenties.... not a single one of them cares about Instagram followers sans a couple that are using it as a side hustle.

They care about the fact that, even with a degree, a lot of them aren't even making it. I care about the fact I'm working a job that payed me what I considered an excellent wage 15yrs ago when I started is becoming an absolute dead end and only paying 5$ an hour more.... my only way out is starting over, and there's no way I can afford to do that.

I left my career making 130k at 38 and went to law school in 2012.

12 years later, I own my own business and make right at 7 figures. It is doable depending on you and your risk tolerance.
TTUArmy
I'm a Gen X and find these generational arguments to be fairly ignorant.

Read this and you'll figure out who the real culprit is.

Written by Howard Buffett - Nebraska Congressman and Father to the Oracle of Omaha.

https://www.fgmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Howard-Buffett-explains-sound-money-4-May-1948.pdf

Apologies Staff.

[Provide a link for a long citation. Don't take up half a page with copy and paste. It's inconsiderate to other posters trying to follow the thread -- Staff]
Ag_of_08
AG
Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

12 years later, I own my own business and make right at 7 figures. It is doable depending on you and your risk tolerance.

I have a useless degree(scratch that...i never finished and am not sure i can now) and no real way to change my circumstances. I truthfully don't know if i finished the thing there's anything I could really do. I know my field exceptionally well, it just doesn't pay unfortunately.

That's where a huge number of us stand unfortunately..... we effed up at 18-21, now there's no real comeback
AggieVictor10
AG
Did those in my 20s.

a life-threatening injury, resulting in paralysis in my early to mid 30s got in the way this decade.
Going to give it another shot in my 40s.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
Tom Fox
Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

I have a useless degree(scratch that...i never finished and am not sure i can now) and no real way to change my circumstances. I truthfully don't know if i finished the thing there's anything I could really do. I know my field exceptionally well, it just doesn't pay unfortunately.

That's where a huge number of us stand unfortunately..... we effed up at 18-21, now there's no real comeback
That sucks bro. I changed careers once before trying law school.

My undergrad was a useless liberal arts degree. I got a fed job and just felt dead ended. I married at 35. Had my first at 37 and that motivated me to make the change. My wife was 21 when we got married and a newly minted accountant. She supported me for the first half of law school and then we had our second and she stayed home. Childcare in DC was insane. I worked at Lowes inside lawn and garden at night while in law school. That was quite the change from being a federal agent, but I really enjoyed it.

And I can honestly say it was worth every minute of uncertainty, anxiety, and tireless work. We did it together.

Opportunity is all anyone can really ask for. Outcomes are never guaranteed. We only get one chance at this life.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Tom Fox said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Excuses. Get to work and create the life you want.
Pinochet
I'm just glad the scale was consistent on the graphs so it would be easy to see if everything was about the same. Oh wait… that's why they didn't put it on one graph. Had to change the scale on each to make it look better.

Not getting married makes sense because we've been hearing for decades how hard marriage is and how it's forever and how much you have to give up and how likely you are to fail. The rest seems mostly because the generation was coddled.
CoachtobeNamed$$$
TTUArmy said:

Quote:

Long, but very much worth the time. We are here.

dmart90
AG
A decent, midpoint car cost about $12k in '90. There's nothing under $20k today.

A starter house was about $75k in '90. Closer to $400k today.

We have a real problem.
Logos Stick
That's a bargain for a car then, much less than inflation!
Ag_of_08
AG
Im at a point right now that things are very dead end, but I'm trying to get the degree squared away, and in about 2 years everything will be payed off to the point I can try to make a change.

Im only 5 years away from having a retirement if i can stay in the same field/retirement system, so I may have to make small moves. Job market is also hosed for the next couple of years, so I have some time and vague stability to get ahead..... i hope.
Ag_of_08
AG
That mid range car would probably cost 40-50k today. The big car mfgs have lost their minds with cars and pricing, but then again Ford is making moves to straight from factory, and stellantis is on the edge of collapsing for a very good reason. Repos are through the roof, and the banks can't sell them for enough to cover the idiotic amounts they sold for.
Caliber
AG
dmart90 said:

A decent, midpoint car cost about $12k in '90. There's nothing under $20k today.

A starter house was about $75k in '90. Closer to $400k today.

We have a real problem.

Compare apples to apples. Why is that car so much more? Look at all the government regulation requirements combined with all the extras everyone "needs".

Houses are similar. Finding small houses is ridiculous. Starter homes are now 2nd or 3rd homes. Starter home used to mean small, vinyl or cheap carpet, linoleum counters, etc. Hardly anyone builds those new now because they don't sell.

Same for apartments. People used to sacrifice, now they want it all at 22, plus a crap ton of extras.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.