Another reminder not to mess with Israel- exploding pagers

39,402 Views | 409 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TXAG 05
jwoodmd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saxsoon said:

Ag87H2O said:

This was just an all around brilliant plan. Not only did the Israelis take out thousands of key Hezbollah leaders, they were also able to track these people and now know not only the individuals in key positions, but exactly where they live and work. Even the survivors of this operation have to be living in constant fear knowing that anywhere they go or any device they use puts them at risk.

It may not stop the terrorists forever, but it puts them at an extreme disadvantage and will gum up their operations for years to come. They now know that the Israelis have breached their inner workings and they have nowhere to hide. As I said in an earlier post - they should quit while they're behind.

My only concern with this whole thing is the plan was to blow them up during an attack. Some of these people were clearly in crowded areas and in stores so it becomes much more indiscriminate. It isn't outlandish to think children and innocents got caught up in this
In the two videos seen on this thread no one standing in immediate proximity seems to have sustained any injuries. Seems well designed not just in concept but in terms of blast direction by Israel. In the video of the guy at the checkout, the two cashiers likely hurt each other more by running into each other while running away.
fullback44
AG
aggiehawg said:

That had to hurt someone.

Dam.. talk about a morning blowout after your coffee
ShaggySLC
fullback44 said:

aggiehawg said:

well deserved
Saxsoon
AG
jwoodmd said:

Saxsoon said:

Ag87H2O said:

This was just an all around brilliant plan. Not only did the Israelis take out thousands of key Hezbollah leaders, they were also able to track these people and now know not only the individuals in key positions, but exactly where they live and work. Even the survivors of this operation have to be living in constant fear knowing that anywhere they go or any device they use puts them at risk.

It may not stop the terrorists forever, but it puts them at an extreme disadvantage and will gum up their operations for years to come. They now know that the Israelis have breached their inner workings and they have nowhere to hide. As I said in an earlier post - they should quit while they're behind.

My only concern with this whole thing is the plan was to blow them up during an attack. Some of these people were clearly in crowded areas and in stores so it becomes much more indiscriminate. It isn't outlandish to think children and innocents got caught up in this
In the two videos seen on this thread no one standing in immediate proximity seems to have sustained any injuries. Seems well designed not just in concept but in terms of blast direction by Israel. In the video of the guy at the checkout, the two cashiers likely hurt each other more by running into each other while running away.
2 children and 4 healthcare workers have been killed.

But as pointed out by others, this was a definitely more surgical strike than just carpet bombing so I will retract what I said.
Kenneth_2003
AG
W said:

random question...

was there a certain phone number called / dialed / entered that detonated the pagers?

such that now there is a dead man's phone number of legend

like aces and eights in poker

Honest answer... It's was certainly within the signal. I mentioned touch tones earlier. I don't know to what extent they're still used, albeit digitally today. Unless the pager is on an IP based network then yes it was probably tones. The digital signal goes out across the network. The pager recognizes it's "name" being called. The next data that follows across the network are it's instructions. This interacts with the devices firmware/OS. This data would generally be a some type of header then the message to be displayed. But a simple firmware rewrite and a different header in the message file. Instead this data header would instruct the firmware to initiate the detonator circuits rather than the screen.

Its been forever since I paged anytime. But I recall you dialed the number, then I think it was # then the number you wanted then to call... What if instead you write the firmware to recognize * to access a non-display menu.

Another analogy would be like accessing a cheat code in a video game.
jwoodmd
Saxsoon said:

jwoodmd said:

Saxsoon said:

Ag87H2O said:

2 children and 4 healthcare workers have been killed.

But as pointed out by others, this was a definitely more surgical strike than just carpet bombing so I will retract what I said.
It is very regrettable for the children and the workers. But, air strikes, missile strikes, and a ground war would kill many times more. It was a strike that not only hurt the enemy but did unbelievable damage to their communication network and psyche.
YellowPot_97
AG
W said:

random question...

was there a certain phone number called / dialed / entered that detonated the pagers?

Order 66
FCBlitz
Saxsoon said:

Ag87H2O said:

I am glad you are concerned about this brilliant plan. A plan that can not be any more precisely targeted to bad people and you find a way to be concerned.

Saxsoon
AG
FCBlitz said:

Saxsoon said:

Ag87H2O said:

I am glad you are concerned about this brilliant plan. A plan that can not be any more precisely targeted to bad people and you find a way to be concerned.

Look a few posts above
EX TEXASEX
W said:

random question...

Don't tell anybody but the number they called was 867-3509. They were supposed to ask for " Jenny "
Wounding thousands of Hezbollah will hurt them from a financial and resources standpoint point for decades. Much better than just killing them

Edit. Sorry Raiderjay, I just saw your comment. I guess great minds think alike !!
#FJB
ShaggySLC
EX TEXASEX said:

W said:

random question...

Don't tell anybody but the number they called was 867-3509. They were supposed to ask for " Jenny "
Wounding thousands of Hezbollah will hurt them from a financial and resources standpoint point for decades. Much better than just killing them

Edit. Sorry Raiderjay, I just saw your comment. I guess great minds think alike !!
Somewhere in Israel

RED AG 98
AG
War is hell. Carry on Israel and God speed.
Trigon Jin
fullback44 said:

aggiehawg said:

Someone dropped a Bangalore Torpedo in there. this is why ghost pepper burgers need to come with a waiver.
Bayou City
Jenny is 867-5309. Not sure who 867-3509 is but it's not Jenny
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
BQ78
AG
It's Jneny
agent-maroon
AG
Nanny, Nanny who can I turn to?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bayou City
Jneny was hot. Poor Forrest.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG

Those pesky Israelis.
torrid
AG
As much as I love the innovation and creativity in this operation, I'm afraid of terrorists copying the strategy.

They obviously can't intercept large-scale commercial shipments or set up their own front company the way a state actor can. However, they could randomly sell used iPhones on eBay with similar kaboom hacks. That would insert them into the general population and create the terror and fear they desire.
Rex Racer
AG
torrid said:

As much as I love the innovation and creativity in this operation, I'm afraid of terrorists copying the strategy.

They obviously can't intercept large-scale commercial shipments or set up their own front company the way a state actor can. However, they could randomly sell used iPhones on eBay with similar kaboom hacks. That would insert them into the general population and create the terror and fear they desire.
They could have thought of this anyway.
Ag87H2O
AG
aggiehawg said:

Those pesky Israelis.
Just puts a smile on your face doesn't it. Such a brilliant, audacious plan carried out to perfection. Hearing all those terrorists moaning and writhing on the ground is amazing.
JCA1
AG
torrid said:

This would give you very little bang for your buck (pun intended). If you just want to blow up random strangers, you don't need this level of sophistication and would do much more damage with a garden variety truck bomb, etc.
Caliber
AG
JCA1 said:

torrid said:

This would give you very little bang for your buck (pun intended). If you just want to blow up random strangers, you don't need this level of sophistication and would do much more damage with a garden variety truck bomb, etc.
Its not about blowing up random strangers. It's about disruption and chaos. Killing an infidel is a bonus.

A dozen iphones blowing up across the country with a terrorist org claiming credit would cause so much chaos (especially with a little lie that there are another 10,000 out there...). The business losses could easily be in the billions just due to interruptions, lost productivity, etc. Imagine being afraid of your phone ringing. A car bomb would not cause the same kind of discord.

That is what is the big deal about these pagers. They hurt them yes, but this is a huge interruption to their entire organization. They have slowed them down more than just the personnel lost. They now have to rethink everything.
W
AG
thank you

I haven't used or seen a pager in 20 years
JCA1
AG
Caliber said:

JCA1 said:

torrid said:

Its not about blowing up random strangers. It's about disruption and chaos. Killing an infidel is a bonus.

A dozen iphones blowing up across the country with a terrorist org claiming credit would cause so much chaos (especially with a little lie that there are another 10,000 out there...). The business losses could easily be in the billions just due to interruptions, lost productivity, etc. Imagine being afraid of your phone ringing. A car bomb would not cause the same kind of discord.

That is what is the big deal about these pagers. They hurt them yes, but this is a huge interruption to their entire organization. They have slowed them down more than just the personnel lost. They now have to rethink everything.

I would assume that the vast majority of people get their phones from a reputable business. Even if they pulled this off, I don't see why anyone would be worried unless you bought your phone used off of ebay. Maybe that's more common than I know, but I don't know anyone who's ever done that. Unless you think they've taken over an Apple factory, I just don't see why the average person would be concerned.

Again, this would take a lot of know-how and effort to likely only kill a couple people. Still don't see why they would choose that over, say, a backpack bomb a la the Boston Marathon.
ME92
AG
JCA1 said:

torrid said:

I can see it used for more commercial terrorism (is that a word?) rather than political terrorism.

1. Send out booby-trapped phones from a certain brand to destroy that brand's reputation and push buyers to another brand which you own.

2. Threaten to send out booby-trapped phones unless the target brand pays a ransom.
JCA1
AG
ME92 said:

JCA1 said:

torrid said:

I can see it used for more commercial terrorism (is that a word?) rather than political terrorism.

1. Send out booby-trapped phones from a certain brand to destroy that brand's reputation and push buyers to another brand which you own.

2. Threaten to send out booby-trapped phones unless the target brand pays a ransom.

Assuming they even have the capabilities to do any of this (which is a huge assumption), what presently known terrorist group do you think wants to go after Samsung and try and help apple (or vice versa)?

And I'll edit to add, if you're suggesting corporate terrorism by the corporation itself (which your comment about owning the company suggests), why stop here? You gotta worry about Ford tampering with Chevy brakes, and McDonald's poisoning Burger King food, and United shooting down Delta airlines, and every other thing you can think of. I guess I would have to acknowledge that all of this is technically possible, but we've reached the point of absurdity IMO.
Texmid
AG
ME92
AG
JCA1 said:

ME92 said:

JCA1 said:

torrid said:

Assuming they even have the capabilities to do any of this (which is a huge assumption), what presently known terrorist group do you think wants to go after Samsung and try and help apple (or vice versa)?
No clue. It's just my first thought about terrorists copying this strategy.

It might be a good idea for a script for a movie of the week.

But.....I don't think it would be a well-known terrorist group. Most likely a smaller group. Definitely not a very intelligent group. .

Oooo...How about a low ranking terrorist dude who inherits a struggling ad agency after his distant, non-terrorist, relative dies in some undisclosed explosive manner?!

The movie would describe how the dude slowly leaves his terrorist thinking behind as he finds out about his dead relative's life and the positive things the relative did. But then he has to stop the exploding phone/bluetooth speaker/margarita maker/BOB plan that he developed at the behest of his (former) terrorist handlers that the diverse ad executives of the agency were all behind.

There would be explosions, bad guys would be busted, good guys would get the girls, some busty women would lose their shirts, the love interest would get laid. It'd be a blockbuster!
agent-maroon
AG
Suspect that several purchasing agents in Iran & Lebanon have mysteriously gone missing over the last couple of days and their replacements will be severely cautioned about always awarding their PO's to the company offering the lowest bid...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UTExan
I wonder if the exploding pagers were also a way to map tunnel networks inside Lebanon using sensors? Hezbollah is alleged to have a far more extensive underground network than Gaza.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
jt2hunt
AG
They no doubt we're able to pinpoint locations of where these terrorists were by the sound of the explosions. But now that they've limited the ability of the terrace to communicate I'm expecting Israelis to go in there on some type of full ground force and start taking out some more high value target area
rednecked
AG
aggiehawg said:

Those pesky Israelis.
Aggie97
AG
rednecked said:

aggiehawg said:

Those pesky Israelis.

They didn't just blowoff their balls but had them pay they Isrealis for it.
jwoodmd
I'm really surprised someone hasn't come up with a Hugo Stiglitz meme of "say goodbye to your hezballs"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.