Elon says we are headed for bankruptcy

10,406 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BusterAg
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could possibly be convinced otherwise on this, but the only way I see us changing this trajectory is a
Mandatory balanced budget amendment so Congress is
Forced into fiscal discipline.

I feel like it's the fox guarding the henhouse tho. Don't see how they could ever get it over the finish line.

MaxPower
We don't have final 2024 tax revenue but for the first 9 months as of June it's $3.75B. Annualized that is $5T. Total spend to service debt is $868B. That's roughly 17%.

https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/americas-finance-guide/government-revenue/#:~:text=Government%20revenue%20is%20income%20received,trillion%20in%20fiscal%20year%202024.&text=Fiscal%20year%2Dto%2Ddate%20(,Treasury%20Statement%20(MTS)%20dataset.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

So what happens when America goes bankrupt?
The entire world goes bankrupt if America goes bankrupt. Too Big To Fail Scenario IMO. It will be the Great Depression worldwide 2.0 if the U.S. economy ever collapsed.

Musk should have tweeted 'The World is headed for bankruptcy' if he wanted to throw such an opinion out.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
jpb1999 said:

My question as well. What do normal people do with their money to help hedge this?

Turn your cash into firewood.
Heineken-Ashi
BQ78 said:

Print money and inflate it away. You think gas prices are high now, wait for California prices in Oklahoma and Texas before the tax is applied
Cant afford to. Expanding the money supply any further via currency creation of any manner adds even more interest on the debt and leverages more existing money in the system, and banks are not healthy. The choices are hyperinflation or default.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
zephyr88
AG
When Elon says 'we', does he mean America or just Tesla?

I'm not taxing bankruptcy advice from someone who paid well over-value for Twitter and would be on the skids with Tesla without the government support.
Helicopter Ben
Tom Fox said:

I agree with this. But I am buying property instead of gold or crypto.

Hedging with property is good, but you should have at least some PMs. Each asset has their own benefits and drawbacks. Property has some substantial risks that I don't think a lot of people account for correctly. In contrast to PMs, property can be very difficult to sell. And if you're investing in rental properties, we could very likely see rent controls. Biden recently suggested a cap on rent increases of 5%. At that cap you are guaranteed to lose the battle with inflation.

If the record-high gold price has you spooked, silver is dirt cheap right now and still not even close to its record high. I look at every dollar of cash I have as a deteriorating asset. My PMs just sit there holding value and I can easily spend them if needed. The majority of my wealth is in property, but it makes me a little nervous at times. With PMs, the only worry I have is that I should have bought more.
Tom Fox
Aggiecadet said:

And we wonder why we are in so much debt
I don't. It is all of the entitlements. They have to stop.
itsyourboypookie
Boomers love t bills

Boomers gonna learn today
Not Coach Jimbo
They have lots of manipulative and morally questionable things they can do to address the debt problem...

And pretty much none of them are good for the people.

But this crap from DC and our oligarchs is what has led to the outrage that created Brics, and we should be just as outraged.
MaxPower
itsyourboypookie said:

Boomers love t bills

Boomers gonna learn today
Hey, T bill interest rates are pretty salty right now
bmks270
AG
We won't go bankrupt as long as we have two things:

Ink
Paper
TexAgs91
AG
Aggiecadet said:

Wow, is that the dumbed down content Gen Z is watching these days?
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Not Coach Jimbo
TexAgs91 said:

Aggiecadet said:

Hit a Chinese embassy so included China too

Wtf lol...
halfastros81
AG
No one that I saw suggested we take bankruptcy advice from musk.that doesn't mean he's not right when he says we are headed for it.

Hyperinflation will be the route chosen. Best prepare.
Coog97
'member when Jack Kemp was ridiculed for pushing for a return to the gold standard? I 'member.

Stable money and low, flat-rate taxes... what a freakin' loon, huh?
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Helicopter Ben
TexAgs91 said:

Aggiecadet said:

That may be dumbed down, but I'm not sure what your point is. Military spending is out of control just like everything else. The trillions we've spent on these useless wars is almost 100% waste. I would argue that's the first place to start cutting. While the elephant in the room is social security and Medicare, at least those things directly benefit American citizens. They should be number 2 on the chopping block.
Bryanisbest
AG
At its root, problem does not lie with any past politicians. The problem is that anyone who proposes the deep cuts necessary to right the ship can't get elected and never will againp. And if someone who does slips by, Congress won't go along because they can't get reelected. We are done for this and many other reasons.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Very simple solution. Return to dollar backed by gold and bitcoin. The amount of actual US dollars is very small. Would be easy to back. We haven't printed a US dollar since 1971.

Also fed should liquidate 80% if its land holdings. Save government building and bases
Burpelson
Whoever is buying our debt is on notice .
jpb1999
AG
How/where are you buying PMs? In what form?

Spane Bohem

rwtxag83
AG
Aggiecadet said:

We're not in debt because we bombed those countries. Why even show something like this?
Greater love hath no man than this....
TexAgs91
AG
Helicopter Ben said:

TexAgs91 said:

Aggiecadet said:

That may be dumbed down, but I'm not sure what your point is. Military spending is out of control just like everything else. The trillions we've spent on these useless wars is almost 100% waste. I would argue that's the first place to start cutting. While the elephant in the room is social security and Medicare, at least those things directly benefit American citizens. They should be number 2 on the chopping block.
What would the US economy be like if we let bad actors in the world run unfettered, for one. That is most definitely a factor and completely ignored here.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
TexAgs91
AG
rwtxag83 said:

Aggiecadet said:

We're not in debt because we bombed those countries. Why even show something like this?
Feelz
Fight! Fight! Fight!
rwtxag83
AG
The solution is to grow the economy and limit the growth in government spending. If the economy grows, so will tax revenue.
Greater love hath no man than this....
HollywoodBQ
AG
Logos Stick said:

FDR ended the gold standard for domestic transactions.

"84 years ago, on April 20, 1933, the United States abandoned the gold standard, delinking the value of the dollar to gold. The person responsible for that was President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who had urged Congress to take up reform of the currency system in January that year."
So in 1971, Nixon made it so that you could no longer exchange dollars for gold.

Apparently this is called the "Nixon Shock" (I never heard that term until I just searched for it now).
I've routinely heard this referred to as taking the US Dollar off the Gold Standard, maybe that's not the correct term but it's definitely out there in common parlance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock
jpb1999
AG
It's not. That happened in the 30s under FDR.

Spane Bohem

LMCane
jpb1999 said:

My question as well. What do normal people do with their money to help hedge this?
we have literally been discussing this EXACT issue several times in the last few months on this board

I created an entire thread about it.

buy gold.

get a second passport

move your assets to a secure bank overseas
jpb1999
AG
LMCane said:

jpb1999 said:

we have literally been discussing this EXACT issue several times in the last few months on this board

I created an entire thread about it.

buy gold.

get a second passport

move your assets to a secure bank overseas

Thanks. Link please?

Why a 2nd passport? Can you have 2 passports?!?

What assets to move into a secure overseas bank? If still dollars what good does that do?

Spane Bohem

Tom Fox
Helicopter Ben said:

TexAgs91 said:

Aggiecadet said:

I disagree. The military is a core function of the federal government enshrined in the constitution at our founding.

Entitlements are not the role of government and are nowhere in the constitution.

They have to go first. All of them. Then we can take stock of where we are and look at cutting core government functions like security.
Heineken-Ashi
jpb1999 said:

It's not. That happened in the 30s under FDR.
It was both
Quote:

The gold standard was the basis for the international monetary system from the 1870s to the early 1920s, and from the late 1920s to 1932[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard#cite_note-1][1][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard#cite_note-:9-2][2][/url] as well as from 1944 until 1971 when the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the US dollar to gold,
When WWII was won by the west, and we started to recover from the depression, the first attempt at a world financial model put in place by the victors, with us at the top of the chain, was the gold standard. But under a gold standard, a country that devalues its currency gets punished quickly. By leaving the gold standard and moving to 100% fiat, with the petrodollar as the new reserve currency, America could essentially fund its own growth through currency devaluation at the expense of the rest of the world who relied on dollars to transact.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
Muktheduck
Phatbob said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I get FDR for Social Security and Nixon for the Gold Standard.

But shouldn't LBJ get the blame for Welfare?

Bush 43 for endless war in Iraq, Afghanistan and of course the subprime bailout during the GFC.

Obama for Healthcare.

And in this election year, Trump for shutting down the world and printing money during Covid?
Anyone who grew the federal government gets the blame. Anyone who votes for them gets the blame.

So everybody
BQ78
AG
That's why we need Trump as president, per FJB at the debate, when he could pay attention, Trump has the experience with bankruptcy.
nai06
AG
There aren't many countries that offer golden passports anymore

Antigua and Barbuda
Austria
Cambodia
Dominica
Egypt
Grenada
Jordan
Malta
Moldova
North Macedonia
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
Trkiye
Vanuatu

Cheapest one is 100K investment
aglaes
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

So what happens when America goes bankrupt?

They just get told bad boy, and keep running just like normal the same as all the big business that go bankrupt and stay in business?
For one, if you have US dollars they will be worth next to nothing.

If you have physical assets - land, real estate, gold, etc - you may come out OK.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.