Get the Olympics, Sell Your Soul

3,191 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Squadron7
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://apnews.com/article/2034-winter-olympics-ioc-salt-lake-city-958fe633a5ce9ef0f7f497c9e5ee3255

Executive Summary: IOC only awarded games to Salt Lake because Utah officials agreed to pressure the feds to stop federal criminal investigation into the World Anti-Doping Agency.

" PARIS (AP) What was expected to be a simple coronation of Salt Lake City as the 2034 Winter Olympic host turned into complicated Olympic politics Wednesday, as the IOC pushed Utah officials to end an FBI investigation into a suspected doping coverup."

"The International Olympic Committe formally awarded the 2034 Winter Games to Salt Lake in an 83-6 vote, but only after a contingent of Utah politicians and U.S. Olympic leaders signed an agreement that pressures them to lobby the federal government."

"The International Olympic Committee is angry about an ongoing U.S. federal investigation of suspected doping by Chinese swimmers who were allowed to compete at the Tokyo Games despite positive drug tests. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accepted Chinese explanations for the tests, and U.S. officials are now investigating that decision under an anti-conspiracy law passed after the Russian doping scandal at the Sochi Winter Games."

" President Thomas Bach wants to make sure WADA is the lead authority on doping cases in Olympic sports, especially with the Summer Olympics headed to Los Angeles in 2028. The IOC added a clause to Salt Lake's host contract, effectively demanding that local organizers including Utah Gov. Spencer Cox push to shut down the investigation or risk losing the Olympics."

///
What should happen now: the FBI investigates the International Olympic Committee for conspiracy to interfere with federal investigation.

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Sharpshooter
AG
The East Germans, circa 1972 and 1976, say "hold my beer."
Schneider Electric
Olympics. Where nationalism is ok for a month.
An L of an Ag
AG
FIFA says hold my martini.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Schneider Electric said:

Unless you're Taiwan, then you're Chinese-Taipei
BQ_90
AG
An L of an Ag said:

FIFA says hold my martini.

The UN says both IOC and FIFA are light weights
YouBet
AG
The Olympics just need to be cancelled at this point.
Bird Poo
AG
YouBet said:

The Olympics just need to be cancelled at this point.

Most Americans probably wouldn't bat an eye, looking through the lenses of my kids in their late teens and 20s. At their age I remember tuning in, but they don't GAF. Why should they when everyone cheats?
Agfencer98
AG
I have followed a lot of the trials for fencing closely this year, as there was scandal with one of the female Sabre fencers. I haven't been involved in fencing too much the past several years, as I live at least 2 hours from the closest place I could train with others, but have always been an Olympic nut.

I've noticed something this year, that I confirmed with some of my buddies still in the sport, and that is that the cheating is known, and encouraged, in some aspects, and it is almost written off as a case of entitlement to certain fencers. There was always favoritism, but it is pretty much out in the open now. There are YouTube videos that some fencers have published, and the governing body is like 'yeah, it happened, but we can't prove this fencer, who always benefits from biased referee calls, against better opponents, knew what was going on, so we'll let her qualify.'

I'm having a hard time giving a damn about how the USA team does, and that's a first for me, for sure.
torrid
AG
Seems Salt Lake City has been down this road before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympic_bid_scandal
torrid
AG
When I was younger, every fourth year seemed special. There were three things to look forward to - leap day, the Olympics, and the presidential election.

At least I still have leap day, though for some reason they took it away in 2000.

That's a joke, BTW.
BD88
AG
The Olympics this year could be a giant failure. I have little faith in France to protect the athletes and put down the chaos that I expect will happen. I HOPE I AM 100% WRONG. Just a tidbit of what I think is coming….

Moral High Horse
Haven't watched in decades and will continue the tradition
An L of an Ag
AG
London 2012 was the last one I watched even part of.
EskimoJoe
Schneider Electric said:

and the only time it's OK to hear the phrase " Great execution by North Korea"
Squadron7
AG
Paid pros did to the Olympics what NIL will do to college sports.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.