Earthquakes...

8,846 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Kansas Kid
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noticed that by default they are now being tracked on my weather app starting this morning.
About 10 were reported in West Texas. One was a 4.9. Lawn chairs fell down in areas.
Coincidence?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Using Weather.com I presume?
They've gone full blown climate crisis over the past few years and my goodness, the app is just abhorrent. It's more ads than weather and whatever AI or algorithm they've got doing the short range forecasts is less accurate than just looking out the window.
tamuwx
AG
I use weather underground for a good weather app. Weather.com app is garbage.
TyHolden
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

They've gone full blown climate crisis over the past few years and my goodness, the app is just abhorrent. It's more ads than weather and whatever AI or algorithm they've got doing the short range forecasts is less accurate than just looking out the window.
It's KXAN app which is based out of Austin so basically the same. Weather.com did not turn them on by default...yet.
Charpie
AG
I'm actually in Fisher County right now. The earthquake last night woke up my dogs. I slept through the aftershocks. The aftershock this morning? Yeah I didn't notice it. Epicenter isn't far from where I'm staying in Rotan
P.U.T.U
AG
I posted this on the OB, shows a big area that could feel it and people on Texas Storm Chasers said they felt it from east of Dallas to almost New Mexico

USGS map
Squadron7
AG
Reporting earthquakes is a tool to attack drilling and fracking in general.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Squadron7 said:

Frac is causing some, but the overwhelming majority is disposal. Granted, the increased disposal volumes are due in large part to frac and limited water reuse.

Someone come up with a quick and efficient way to strip all of the organics out of flowback water (beyond what will come out through traditional gravity separation and without plugging up media filters and you can probably start printing money at a rate that'll dwarf what DC does.
IIIHorn
I blame this on the influx of Quakers.
KRamp90
AG
Shakers...
Geno
AG
WeatherUnderground & Windy

Toss that weather.com app
flakrat
AG
tamuwx said:

I use weather underground for a good weather app. Weather.com app is garbage.
Weather.com (TWC) bought Weather Underground years ago. I don't think it's had any innovation since.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The Earthquake map on the USGS website is the best thing to use for monitoring current earthquakes.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?extent=7.53596,-151.78711&extent=61.77274,-64.77539&sort=largest
IIIHorn
KRamp90 said:

Shakers...
And bakers.
Predmid
AG
Quote:

Someone come up with a quick and efficient way to strip all of the organics out of flowback water (beyond what will come out through traditional gravity separation and without plugging up media filters and you can probably start printing money at a rate that'll dwarf what DC does.

Between TSS, TDS, heavy metals, BTEX & VOCs, and in some cases NORM, frac water is some NASTY stuff to try and treat.

There isn't a magic bullet treatment option to fix it that would hold up to the volumes and flowrates necessary while still being a mostly mobile operation at each frac location.
TyHolden
AG
here we go again....

No Spin Ag
Squadron7 said:

But if fracking is the cause, it should at least be reported that fracking is use cause, shouldn't they?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
FishrCoAg
AG
TyHolden said:

here we go again....

Some of the replies are hilarious, but people are getting nervous out here. It's not rare to have an occasional quake but these are coming daily or more and stronger.
goatchze
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

But if fracking is the cause, it should at least be reported that fracking is use cause, shouldn't they?
Fracking does not cause earthquakes. So no.
No Spin Ag
goatchze said:

No Spin Ag said:

Squadron7 said:

Fracking does not cause earthquakes. So no.

Does fracking cause the earth to tremble because of what it does, regardless of what anyone names it? Or is fracking in no way related to what people hundreds of miles away feel?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
gkaggie08
AG
I live about 100 miles from the epicenter. Noticed my windows rattling this morning. Thought maybe a large helicopter was flying low. Nothing major, but that's the first earthquake I've ever felt in 34 years living here
TyHolden
AG
I just read that fracking causes earthquakes, cancer, climate change, and water pollution....
FishrCoAg
AG
TyHolden said:

I just read that fracking causes earthquakes, cancer, climate change, and water pollution....

I saw a statement yesterday that wind farms are the cause of earthquakes!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Does frac cause earthquakes?

It's not a simple answer. You're pumping water and sand into rock with the stated goal of breaking the rock, forcing cracks open then keeping those fractures open with pumped sand. That in and of itself is creating earthquakes. These are all, of course, very very low magnitude events and not what people are concerned with.

The bigger question, and the better question is, are hydraulic fracturing operations a contributing factor in these earthquakes? Wells are often drilled across small faults that cut through the target reservoir, and larger faulys can demark boundaries between sets of wells. It's entirely possible, especially with the larger faults near the toe or heel of wells that the completion operations could alter the state of residual stress on the fault and cause the fault to slip.

Operators routinely deploy both surface seismometers and downhole geophones to monitor fluid injection activities.

The more likely contributor to earthquakes is disposal operations. This includes water that flows back from a well after the frac is completed and water routinely produced alongside oil. Produced water in older wells and fields can be as high as 10:1 or even greater and (if the water can be easily disposed of) remain profitable. These disposal wells can have greater impact since the injections take place continuously (or nearly so) for extended periods of time.
whatthehey78
AG
FishrCoAg said:

TyHolden said:

Don't forget solar panels. They're 'grounded' aren't they??? 'Grounded'...so there you go. Electric shock wave. Anyone's hair stand on end????

/#sarcasm
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
TA-OP
For weather apps, it's "What the Forecast?!!" or bust.
FishrCoAg
AG
whatthehey78 said:

FishrCoAg said:

TyHolden said:

Don't forget solar panels. They're 'grounded' aren't they??? 'Grounded'...so there you go. Electric shock wave. Anyone's hair stand on end????

/#sarcasm

There is a large new solar farm not far from the recent epicenters…

Along with windmills and drilling activity.
txwxman
Squadron7 said:

If the earthquakes aren't reported, then they won't exist.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Predmid said:

Quote:

Between TSS, TDS, heavy metals, BTEX & VOCs, and in some cases NORM, frac water is some NASTY stuff to try and treat.

There isn't a magic bullet treatment option to fix it that would hold up to the volumes and flowrates necessary while still being a mostly mobile operation at each frac location.

Norm contaminated water would probably just have to be sent straight to the disposal well. As for everything else, I think the organizing are the biggest inhibitor because those will plug all other forms of filtration. If sometime has a good way to get all of that residue out of the water you're left with dissolved and suspended solids that can be managed with traditional media filtration.

TyHolden
AG
Can we get Climate King Shel on here to explain everything to us?
tk111
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

So annoying. But I get a good laugh because the climate doom articles are always right next to "Today's horoscope fortune" article
No Spin Ag
Kenneth_2003 said:

Does frac cause earthquakes?

It's not a simple answer. You're pumping water and sand into rock with the stated goal of breaking the rock, forcing cracks open then keeping those fractures open with pumped sand. That in and of itself is creating earthquakes. These are all, of course, very very low magnitude events and not what people are concerned with.

The bigger question, and the better question is, are hydraulic fracturing operations a contributing factor in these earthquakes? Wells are often drilled across small faults that cut through the target reservoir, and larger faulys can demark boundaries between sets of wells. It's entirely possible, especially with the larger faults near the toe or heel of wells that the completion operations could alter the state of residual stress on the fault and cause the fault to slip.

Operators routinely deploy both surface seismometers and downhole geophones to monitor fluid injection activities.

The more likely contributor to earthquakes is disposal operations. This includes water that flows back from a well after the frac is completed and water routinely produced alongside oil. Produced water in older wells and fields can be as high as 10:1 or even greater and (if the water can be easily disposed of) remain profitable. These disposal wells can have greater impact since the injections take place continuously (or nearly so) for extended periods of time.

Great description of what and how things happen.
halfastros81
AG
Fraccing isn't the direct cause. Disposal of flowback and
Produced water in SWD's is. Granted most
Of the flowback and produced water comes from fracced wells. The industry has come a long way with water management by recycling as much as possible but there are still improvements to be made.

FishrCoAg
AG
halfastros81 said:

Fraccing isn't the direct cause. Disposal of flowback and
Produced water in SWD's is. Granted most
Of the flowback and produced water comes from fracced wells. The industry has come a long way with water management by recycling as much as possible but there are still improvements to be made.

True

And I'm still trying to see how reporting an earthquake occurred is a tool to attack drilling. The quakes are indisputably happening, that doesn't imply any particular cause.
AgDad121619
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

you beat me to it. Had to be climate related. All natural disasters are now part of climate warriors war chest. All caused by man and will wipe us from the face of the earth 10 years from now (rolling 10 years of course
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.