Elon tells CNN to shove it over CNN trying to restrict live commentary on debates

9,605 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgCat93
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two comments...
1). The cameras should stay on during the commercials and go picture in picture

2) CNN can tantrum all they want but without X's cooperation all they can do is sue X, and maybe the individual creators, after the fact. Even CNN doesn't have the resources to track down and sue Every content creator. They're probably upset that X/Musk isn't playing along like I presume Google will with YouTube.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
one safe place said:

Need a nationwide boycott of CNN's advertisers.
BigRobSA
one safe place said:

I don't watch that **** show of a channel to even know whom they count as advertisers but I probably already don't patronize any/many of them since the economy is so FUBAR'd and I can't afford to.

annie88
AG
BigRobSA said:

annie88 said:

I swear to God, these people have the Nazi propaganda playbook down. It is unreal how unbelievably unAmerican and disgusting they are being. Illegal bull*****

**** CNN and **** the Democrats.

Even the Nazis would be impressed and take notes.

Cue The Hitler rant video "even the Democrats are being more ruthless and bigger racist asses than we are"
MiamiHopper
" If someone is rebroadcasting the debate while adding their commentary that is "transformative" which is allowed."

What you are describing is not considered a transformative use.

If I host a website that simultaneously broadcasts Cowboys games in full, the fact that I am giving my own play by play commentary would not mKe it a transformative use. The NFL would not be down with that. I think you'd agree.
Kenneth_2003
AG
MiamiHopper said:

" If someone is rebroadcasting the debate while adding their commentary that is "transformative" which is allowed."

If I host a website that simultaneously broadcasts Cowboys games in full, the fact that I am giving my own play by play commentary would not mKe it a transformative use. The NFL would not be down with that. I think you'd agree.

The NFL owns the players and contractually has control of everything they do on the field as a representative of the NFL.

The candidates are not the contractual property of CNN. CNN is licensing them to generate content
MiamiHopper
You're looking at it wrong. Think in terms of broadcasting rights.
2040huck
Is this different from a company who paid millions to broadcast the world series, objecting to some other company that wants to film and narrate in almost live time?
BigRobSA
2040huck said:

Is this different from a company who paid millions to broadcast the world series, objecting to some other company that wants to film and narrate in almost live time?

Yes.
TexAgs91
AG
MiamiHopper said:

From the video I posted in the OP
Quote:

there's a very famous copyright case featuring Carl Benjamin where he uploaded a raw clip from Akila Hughes. She was at the, I believe it was a Democrat convention a long time ago. Carl Benjamin took the raw video. I think it wasn't the full raw video he took two huge chunks of it upload it to YouTube the video is just her video, that's it.

Akila filed a dmca takedown on Carl who countered saying it was fair use. Tons of YouTubers and faux legal experts said Carl was wrong. He uploaded the raw video. It was edited down for two select portions of it but there was no talking over it. There was no art it was just the video and he's going to lose. Carl smiled and said no I'm not. Why? The title of the video itself was deemed fair use. That's right ladies and gentlemen the title was something like the absolute state of the liberal mind or something like that, it's been a long time. Akila Hughes not only lost but she was ordered to pay Carl Benjamin's legal fees. That is how resoundingly he won
Fight! Fight! Fight!
MiamiHopper
" It was edited down for two select portions of it"

Key part here. If Musk allows people to comment on clips of the debate then that should be ok.
Texas velvet maestro
one safe place said:

ditch all your antidepressants and stop watching sports?

or I think their advertisers are everybody's advertisers. I honestly don't know. Does cnn have a my-pillow guy to pick on?
Kenneth_2003
AG
MiamiHopper said:

You're looking at it wrong. Think in terms of broadcasting rights.

Quote:

"Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent is prohibited,"
We've heard that line read thousands of times. It's not the broadcasting station that says it. The game is broadcast by ESPN, ABC, CBS, FOX, and even Prime. NFL owns the content of the broadcast.

But again, CNN doesn't own the content the way the NFL does. This isn't a song ripped off a CD and put up on Napster. The words spoken by the candidates are not CNN's intellectual property.

Edit to add... CNN is broadcasting this, you are correct about that. However they have also prohibited the anyone else from attending. 1A protections of a free press would imply that they do not own the broadcast of this digital town square. This should be seen no differently than two candidates debating on the courthouse steps in front of the gathered crowd. In a live, in-person, event no one would say attendees cannot comment or record. If there was a live audience, you could not prohibit recordings (again this isn't proprietary IP like you get at a concert with sold tickets). You could reasonably prohibit flash photography as it's a distraction, but not the actual recording or documentation of the debate. Just because CNN has created this forum digitally, with no live audience doesn't mean they lock down the activities of their digital audience. These X creators (and YOuTubers) are a part of the Free Press 1A protects.

The NFL game, or a Metalica concert or a performance of the ballet or the symphony, is the sole creation of the paid performers.
richardag
TexAgs91 said:

richardag said:

Confused I am.
Is Elan Musk and X going to be rebroadcasting the CNN debate or just allowing posters to comment/criticize what they are seeing on the CNN broadcast on their TVs?
He's allowing people on X to rebroadcast CNN's debate and provide live commentary during the debate. Something that I would much rather watch than CNN's broadcast.
Thanks for the information.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Edit to add... CNN is broadcasting this, you are correct about that. However they have also prohibited the anyone else from attending. 1A protections of a free press would imply that they do not own the broadcast of this digital town square. This should be seen no differently than two candidates debating on the courthouse steps in front of the gathered crowd. In a live, in-person, event no one would say attendees cannot comment or record. If there was a live audience, you could not prohibit recordings (again this isn't proprietary IP like you get at a concert with sold tickets). You could reasonably prohibit flash photography as it's a distraction, but not the actual recording or documentation of the debate. Just because CNN has created this forum digitally, with no live audience doesn't mean they lock down the activities of their digital audience. These X creators (and YOuTubers) are a part of the Free Press 1A protects.
Is CNN going to allow the candidates to have spin rooms? Meaning they get a feed to watch from someplace else in the studio?
Kenneth_2003
AG
2040huck said:

Yes. When a network contracts with say MLB for the World Series, or the NFL for the Super Bowl, (or any other game for that matter), or even a Garth Brooks concert, that network is licensing the right to record and distribute that person or entities creation. The game is the creation of the MLB or NFL (or whomever). The concert is the creation of the artist.

This debate is not the creation of CNN. The content is owned by the American public as the candidates are the property of the American public. We (the people) don't physically own the person of the candidate, but they are the persons chosen by the people to represent the public and speak on behalf of the public. Therefore they ARE the public and CNN has no ownership of that.
Kenneth_2003
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Is CNN going to allow the candidates to have spin rooms? Meaning they get a feed to watch from someplace else in the studio?
No clue... I just recall hearing there is no live audience. It's a sterile auditorium.
richardag
MiamiHopper said:

TexAgs91 said:

richardag said:

Confused I am.
Is Elan Musk and X going to be rebroadcasting the CNN debate or just allowing posters to comment/criticize what they are seeing on the CNN broadcast on their TVs?
He's allowing people on X to rebroadcast CNN's debate and provide live commentary during the debate. Something that I would much rather watch than CNN's broadcast.

I don't think they can livestream the debate on Twitter without CNN's permission. CNN can't stop people from tweeting about it though.
Still confused I am.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
MiamiHopper
Some background

" But the potential for blockbuster ratings on CNN will be mitigated by the network's decision to provide a feed of its production to other networks and digital outlets. CNN is making the offer as a public service. Every presidential debate held since 1960 has aired commercial free across the major broadcast networks and, in later years, on cable news outlets CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.

So, in order to maximize the opportunity the debate offers, CNN is putting restrictions on the use of the simulcast, right down to what it should be called. A list of conditions has gone out to outlets interested in carrying the event, according to several executives who were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The CNN's on-screen logo or "bug," as its often called must appear throughout the simulcast, according to the network's conditions. Other networks can put their bugs on the screen as well, but they can't obscure CNN's graphic.

CNN is also requiring other outlets to refer to the event as the "CNN Presidential Debate." If a network runs any on-air promotions or advertising for the telecast, it must be referred to as the "CNN Presidential Debate Simulcast" and use artwork provided by CNN. In program guides and TV listings, it must be called "Simulcast: CNN Presidential Debate."

In a break with the tradition of having general presidential debates proceed ad-free, there will be two commercial breaks in the 90-minute showdown, each running 3 1/2 minutes. Outlets running the simulcast can put their own commercials and promos in the breaks or run the spots sold by CNN.

However, other networks cannot insert their own anchors and commentators during the breaks or any other portion of the telecast only before and after the event. Squeezing back the image of the debate stage onscreen so a pundit or rival anchor can chime in will be forbidden. Outlets that violate the terms will lose the right to carry the feed.

As of Friday, rival network executives said they were pushing back on some of CNN's requirements. Some networks may choose not to promote the simulcast on their air if they are forced to mention CNN every time.

A CNN representative confirmed the network's requirements for the rights to the simulcast, noting that they are being requested in return for covering the full cost of the production."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2024-06-14/cnn-is-sharing-its-presidential-debate-but-there-are-strings-attached
deddog
AG
CNN looks like they are making excuses to cancel the debate.
BigRobSA
Any reputable news organizations reporting on this or just LATimes or CNN?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Is Twitter rebroadcasting or is a member of Twitter rebroadcasting through Twitter? That seems to be the relevant question.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In a break with the tradition of having general presidential debates proceed ad-free, there will be two commercial breaks in the 90-minute showdown, each running 3 1/2 minutes.
That is not long enough for a Biden nappy change.
MiamiHopper
But just enough time for an aide to come swap out his adrenochrome patch.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
MiamiHopper said:

Joe runs on the scents of small children's heads and the memories of showering with his daughter.
aggiehawg
AG
MiamiHopper said:

But he's not supposed to have any contact with his staff during the commercial breaks, correct?
Kenneth_2003
AG
aggiehawg said:

MiamiHopper said:

But he's not supposed to have any contact with his staff during the commercial breaks, correct?

That's why I'd like to see the stage feed PiP during the commercial breaks
Kenneth_2003
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Is Twitter rebroadcasting or is a member of Twitter rebroadcasting through Twitter? That seems to be the relevant question.

My reading of this is individual X channels.

Xers? Sidebar are they still tweets? Twitterers? Users of X formerly known as Twitter?
MiamiHopper
Unsophisticated observers won't notice the aide embedded with CNN's makeup crew.
one safe place
Texas velvet maestro said:

one safe place said:

ditch all your antidepressants and stop watching sports?

or I think their advertisers are everybody's advertisers. I honestly don't know. Does cnn have a my-pillow guy to pick on?
I don't know who their advertisers are, would have to rely on others to tell me. I have not watched television in two years or so, haven't had cable in around a year. Even if I did, I would not be watching CNN, lol.

But wish one or two or three could advertisers could be targeted and get a lot of people on board trying to impact their bottom line.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

But wish one or two or three could advertisers could be targeted and get a lot of people on board trying to impact their bottom line.
Depends and Liberty colostomy bags?
wessimo
AG
Doesn't matter, more likely than not this debate isn't going to happen. My bet is Trump comes to the conclusion that things are too stacked against him and finds an excuse to drop out.
TexAgs91
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

There is no Twitter. Only x.com
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Rydyn
AG
I get that CNN is hosting/moderating the debate, but how did they get the "rights" to it.

Did they pay money to someone (besides the Biden family)? If no, then why do they think they get any say in who broadcasts it?

What happened to the day when all public networks showed the debates (from a slightly different angle) and then followed with their own commentary?
AggieVictor10
AG
Damn CNN must be really scared that trump is gonna win
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.