Your thoughts on Republican platform plank to end no-fault divorce?

14,628 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by cecil77
hoopla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
185. No-Fault Divorce: The Texas Family Code shall be completely rewritten with regards to No-Fault
Divorce and Child Custody. This type of suit shall be delineated in such a way as to remove the need
for any but the most minimal judicial interaction, and promote the maintenance of the traditional family
via required intervention/counseling prior to any decree of divorce. We urge the Legislature to rescind
unilateral no-fault divorce laws, to support covenant marriage, and to pass legislation extending the
period of time in which a divorce may occur to six months after the date of filing for divorce.
https://convention.texasgop.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/2024-TEMPORARY-Platform-FINAL.pdf

A little history. Governor Ronald Reagan enacted the first no-fault divorce law in 1969. Texas followed and passed its law the next year.

What are your thoughts on ending no-fault divorce?
Tea Party
Government should have little to no involvement in marriage.
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
CDUB98
AG
Waste of time and just a line item to pander for votes.
bobbranco
AG
My problem with no-fault is that evil people are given very loose reins to abuse the other spouse financially.

And divorce is a dirty business. Thanks Mrs. Raggio.
Tree Hugger
AG
Yeah, sometimes it just doesn't work, government needs to stay out of it.
93MarineHorn
Good God!! These people just can't help themselves. F no!! No one needs to go before some judge to get permission to get divorced. Social conservatives, stay the hell out of private lives. Your "cures" are far worse than the disease.

Seriously, if I had to go before some gov't employees and prove to them why they should grant me a divorce from my wife I'd have gone f'ing postal.
torrid
AG
As long as they ban birth control at the same time.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
I'm a victim of no fault divorce. 4 years later and I still struggle to move on. Lost 1/2 my retirement as well. All that being said, the government can stay the hell out of my business. This is stupid.
Pepe SiIvia
AG
Women having a way to leave bad marriages will always be a good thing
BQ78
AG
Pander to who?
Ellis Wyatt
I think it's pretty useless to wade into.

I also realize this presidential election is about marxism vs. freedom. I won't be distracted.
normalhorn
Leave it to the GOP to get lost in the weeds, when this doesn't register in the top 15 items that voters actually care about this election cycle.
Focus on winning some power back. Then, and only then, sweep up the messes
While Dems are perfecting ballot harvesting and winning elections, Republicans are perfecting the art of stepping on rakes…rinse, repeat, and circle back to take another dose of losses in 2026.
...take it easy on me, I'm a normal horn
bobbranco
AG
It is #185 in the platform. And I would bet given the ranking the priority quite low.

Ellis Wyatt
By the way, this is the Texas GOP platform, not the national GOP. Why are we getting up in arms?
BigRobSA
Dumb, as usual.
93MarineHorn
Ellis Wyatt said:

By the way, this is the Texas GOP platform, not the national GOP. Why are we getting up in arms?
It's fodder for every liberal and moderate to point to the GOP and say "See, they really do want a "Handmaid's Tale" but in real life.
Martin Q. Blank
Tree Hugger said:

That's not what no-fault divorce is. If you want to divorce me and take half my belongings and estrange my kids, you need to prove I did something wrong.

What other contract in the world can be dissolved by saying "I don't like our relationship anymore so I'm going to stop fulfilling my end"?
agAngeldad
If they want to fix something, start with the family code and the way children are used.

BluHorseShu
AG
Tea Party said:

It definitely should if we want this nation to move back to a time with more Christian morality. Requiring the 10 commandments in public schools, govn't buildings, not allowing gay marriage, and doing a way with no fault divorce is a good start.

We legislate morality all the time...and the government is responsible for carrying out that legislation.
BigRobSA
Martin Q. Blank said:

Tree Hugger said:

That's not what no-fault divorce is. If you want to divorce me and take half my belongings and estrange my kids, you need to prove I did something wrong.

What other contract in the world can be dissolved by saying "I don't like our relationship anymore so I'm going to stop fulfilling my end"?

Never made the mistake of getting married, but this is Texas' GOP platform. Texas doesn't have alimony, does it?
BigRobSA
agAngeldad said:

If they want to fix something, start with the family code and the way children are used.

This
CheeseSndwch
New York Post: I'm divorcing my husband because he screws jar lids too tight here's why everyone agrees I should leave
BigRobSA
BluHorseShu said:

Tea Party said:

It definitely should if we want this nation to move back to a time with more Christian morality. Requiring the 10 commandments in public schools, govn't buildings, not allowing gay marriage, and doing a way with no fault divorce is a good start.

We legislate morality all the time...and the government is responsible for carrying out that legislation.

Government, the most immoral institution created? LOLNOPE

Those mofos should have zero say in "morality".
aggie93
AG
No fault divorce has had terrible consequences but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. What you can do though is modify divorce and child custody laws though.

For instance, if either partner wants a divorce but has no cause or "fault" (abuse, infidelity, etc) then they should should be able to divorce but not be treated as an equal in the settlement. That would do wonders with the Suburban wife who "falls out of love" with her husband in her 30s and gets the house and the car and much of the savings to go with a favorable child care arrangement. I know so many men that have been absolutely destroyed by women who they gave everything to and were faithful husbands and good fathers and the wife just decided she "wasn't getting her emotional needs met" or something else. She gets to keep living the life and start dating again while he now has to pay for her life and his and the kids while trying to rebuild everything when he didn't break any marriage vows. Had a friend recently go through this and she waited until right after he sold his business and crushed him. He ended up in an apartment and she got the house and the lions share of everything and was partying it up on his money. Saddest thing was he didn't care about the money, he would have gladly done anything to keep her but she "just didn't think he understood her needs" as she drove her Mercedes convertible and kept the condo in Breckinridge and picked up a new boyfriend in no time. Oh, and the kids had a rough go of it to and had trouble connecting with Dad in his small apartment in the little time he got them. The biggest nail to me was she used the fact he had been working insane hours for the last couple years trying to sell the company so they could spend more time together and have financial security against him, she filed within a few weeks of the deal closing and he had made millions. To be fair she had a "job" even though he brought in 90% of the income. So many stories like this.

If a woman wants to walk on a marriage without cause she shouldn't be able to take the man to the cleaners, she should be able to leave but leave without much and be treated as the one who broke the contract and suffer the penalty for that. If she leaves without cause then the husband should get first right of refusal on just about everything from the house to the cars to the child care arrangement. Do that and a lot more of those women will work a LOT harder at their marriages and realize it is a partnership. Most of marital laws have shifted to favor the wife without any adjustment.

Oh, and no doubt there are men that act like scum as well but typically the men are doing something that is cause (abuse, infidelity, etc.). If that happens they should also be treated harshly in the divorce. Men are certainly capable of being terrible husbands and fathers and generally horrible humans.

You should be able to get your freedom without cause but it should come at a price unless both parties agree it just isn't working. They should of course be able to settle how they wish. It's just you can't have one party incentivized to break a contract and many marriages are set up that way. It should always be strongly discouraged from breaking up a contract or in this case a marriage and the one who breaks it or causes the break has to face consequences for doing so.

Or we just keep doing the things the way we are and fewer and fewer people will get married and have kids. I've been married 29 years and the only way we have made it is both my wife and I have never considered divorce an option. We have had our hard times for sure as all couples do, it's not all a fairy tale. If you make divorce an easy and acceptable option though people will use that option far more often and that is the environment we have encouraged.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
2040huck
The unintended consequence? Divorces get nastier and more expensive. Now a spouse who just wants out has to prove that the spouse is guilty of some transgression. 90% of those are currently handled as "no fault". Lawyers should love this
bobbranco
AG
This.
Bob Lee
AG
No fault divorce practically destroyed marriage in the U.S.
Marriage used to be thought about as
1. Indissoluble
2. For the procreation, benefit, and education of children.

Once we got rid of the first thing, it was a matter of time before gay "marriage" followed. Now it can't even be defined, and men and women can abandon their families with impunity. I can't thing of a single thing that's happened since that's worse for society except Roe.
93MarineHorn
aggie93 said:

No fault divorce has had terrible consequences but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. What you can do though is modify divorce and child custody laws though.

For instance, if either partner wants a divorce but has no cause or "fault" (abuse, infidelity, etc) then they should should be able to divorce but not be treated as an equal in the settlement. That would do wonders with the Suburban wife who "falls out of love" with her husband in her 30s and gets the house and the car and much of the savings to go with a favorable child care arrangement. I know so many men that have been absolutely destroyed by women who they gave everything to and were faithful husbands and good fathers and the wife just decided she "wasn't getting her emotional needs met" or something else. She gets to keep living the life and start dating again while he now has to pay for her life and his and the kids while trying to rebuild everything when he didn't break any marriage vows. Had a friend recently go through this and she waited until right after he sold his business and crushed him. He ended up in an apartment and she got the house and the lions share of everything and was partying it up on his money. Saddest thing was he didn't care about the money, he would have gladly done anything to keep her but she "just didn't think he understood her needs" as she drove her Mercedes convertible and kept the condo in Breckinridge and picked up a new boyfriend in no time. Oh, and the kids had a rough go of it to and had trouble connecting with Dad in his small apartment in the little time he got them. The biggest nail to me was she used the fact he had been working insane hours for the last couple years trying to sell the company so they could spend more time together and have financial security against him, she filed within a few weeks of the deal closing and he had made millions. To be fair she had a "job" even though he brought in 90% of the income. So many stories like this.

If a woman wants to walk on a marriage without cause she shouldn't be able to take the man to the cleaners, she should be able to leave but leave without much and be treated as the one who broke the contract and suffer the penalty for that. If she leaves without cause then the husband should get first right of refusal on just about everything from the house to the cars to the child care arrangement. Do that and a lot more of those women will work a LOT harder at their marriages and realize it is a partnership. Most of marital laws have shifted to favor the wife without any adjustment.

Oh, and no doubt there are men that act like scum as well but typically the men are doing something that is cause (abuse, infidelity, etc.). If that happens they should also be treated harshly in the divorce. Men are certainly capable of being terrible husbands and fathers and generally horrible humans.

You should be able to get your freedom without cause but it should come at a price unless both parties agree it just isn't working. They should of course be able to settle how they wish. It's just you can't have one party incentivized to break a contract and many marriages are set up that way. It should always be strongly discouraged from breaking up a contract or in this case a marriage and the one who breaks it or causes the break has to face consequences for doing so.

Or we just keep doing the things the way we are and fewer and fewer people will get married and have kids. I've been married 29 years and the only way we have made it is both my wife and I have never considered divorce an option. We have had our hard times for sure as all couples do, it's not all a fairy tale. If you make divorce an easy and acceptable option though people will use that option far more often and that is the environment we have encouraged.
This seems ok from a theoretical perspective, but has been shown to be a nightmare in practice. It's why society has moved to no fault divorces. Baring your personal lives to gov't bureaucrats so you can get your "fair share" is a disaster. It involves spying on your spouse and documenting their trespasses. It's a gold mine for attorneys and private investigators, I suppose. For everyone else, it's awful.
Ellis Wyatt
93MarineHorn said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

It's fodder for every liberal and moderate to point to the GOP and say "See, they really do want a "Handmaid's Tale" but in real life.
And the current regime has attacked nearly every Amendment in the Bill of Rights. This is extremely small potatoes. No one should be distracted.
Hoyt Ag
AG
This x1000.
TxAg82
AG
Marriage is great. Everyone should aspire to marry, raise kids, and enjoy life.

Government should not require anyone to stay in or make it more difficult to get out of a marriage they no longer want to be in.
Bob Lee
AG
TxAg82 said:

Marriage is great. Everyone should aspire to marry, raise kids, and enjoy life.

Government should not require anyone to stay in or make it more difficult to get out of a marriage they no longer want to be in.

So Fathers should be allowed to abandon their children? Children have no right to be raised by the person who called them into existence?
Turf96
I agree 100% with this. Just because one person wants out doesn't make it a deal that should be broken. As stated above don't like the contract just say sorry what we agreed above is no longer because my feelings changed. Divorce often affects more than just two and when it happens it destroys. The devil rejoices at every no fault divorce. Look at divorce numbers alone in Texas. A large majority are women desperate to upgrade one last time before their Worth declines. Many times it isn't anything to do with the father of the children. Being unhappy with one's self should not be reason enough to destroy a spouse and children. No fault divorce is a joke. If one wants out they need to leave with only the carry on bag they carry out. Then feelings would be much less of a damage to American family.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Serviam
It's not going to happen, completely not feasible at this time and place; but make no mistake; it would be for the betterment of the country.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.