Hawg… how much do you know about the prosecutors in Houston?

3,480 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by annie88
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was reading an article about that poor 12-year-old that was raped and murdered by the illegal aliens and I saw this post.

I don't understand how they even got bail, even though it is very high.

Also, is this true (another comment on the article)

Quote:

Capital murder is the only charge in Texas in which a defendant is not entitled to a bond as a general rule. If a judge wants to deny bond to a capital murder defendant, he or she can.

Why the judge didn't deny bond is anybody's guess.

Quote:

The illegal Venezuelan migrants accused of murdering Jocelyn Nungaray in Houston lured the 12-year-old girl under a bridge, where they stripped her naked to the waist and assaulted her for two hours, disturbing new court documents allege.

Franklin Jose Pena Ramos, 26, and Johan Jose Rangel Martinez, 21, allegedly bound Jocelyn's hands behind her back during the brutal assault, then strangled her and dumped her body in a bayou, a Harris County court heard Monday.

Her feet were also bound and her back was covered in cuts, the court heard, according to KPRC

https://nypost.com/2024/06/24/us-news/jocelyn-nungaray-murder-suspect-gets-10m-bond/

EX TEXASEX
I might sound like a terrible person. However, when I see stories about rabid libs who love criminals and actively work to destroy my country becoming a crime victim due to their own policies it warms my heart, even if they have paid the ultimate price.
#FJB
Tom Fox
It is riddled with liberals. You've got some black girl magic sprinkled all over the DAs office and the judiciary.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I don't understand how they even got bail, even though it is very high

As charged, Judge found (and I believe, but don't recall if the law passed a few years ago changing the criteria) this isn't eligible for the death penalty so I don't believe they could be denied bail under the Texas Constitution.

They can add capital murder if they find sufficient evidence of sexual assault, for example, at which point they could be denied bail.

I doubt they can raise the needed funds. And there is a separate block on their release by the feds, in any event.
2/10 SWB
In order for these cases to qualify as capital murder, the prosecutor will need to show either kidnapping or aggrevated sexual assault. There are other forms of capital murder, but I can't imagine how it would apply here. The prosecutor is waiting on autopsy report right now. Kim Ogg (personally not a fan) has stated that the death penalty is on the table.

Relevant Penal Code chapter: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.19.htm
bobbranco
AG
Tom Fox said:

It is riddled with liberals. You've got some black girl magic sprinkled all over the DAs office and the judiciary.
Does black girl magic = militant black lesbian / BLM / studs?
Tom Fox
The google is your friend.
bobbranco
AG
Tom Fox said:

The google is your friend.
I don't want to read and research the degenerates in Houston. Unfortunately it appears to be simple yes / no question you cannot answer.
Logos Stick
bobbranco said:

Tom Fox said:

Does black girl magic = militant black lesbian / BLM / studs?

Harris County is chock full of DEI idiots. You know that. These dudes will probably be given light sentences if found guilty. I'm surprised they didn't wave bond altogether to allow them to flee back to Venezuela.

Eta, Soros will probably bail them out and they will flee.
Serotonin
AG
If what they did to the poor girl doesn't qualify for the Death Penalty then it's probably time for a societal reboot.
one safe place
Serotonin said:

If what they did to the poor girl doesn't qualify for the Death Penalty then it's probably time for a societal reboot.
Yeah, if it doesn't then I hope family or friends of the family carry it out against the two thugs. Maybe even more than those two.
Gator92
AG
Quote:

As charged, Judge found (and I believe, but don't recall if the law passed a few years ago changing the criteria) this isn't eligible for the death penalty so I don't believe they could be denied bail under the Texas Constitution.

They can add capital murder if they find sufficient evidence of sexual assault, for example, at which point they could be denied bail.
Crime lab will get right on it...
Urban Ag
AG
I remember when Harris Co was a place you absolutely did not want to get charged with a crime in. On it's size and poor population alone, Houston/Harris Co has always been a bit rough, at least in certain areas most knew to avoid. But justice was served regardless. And most of the city/county was pretty darn safe.

Dems/libs literally destroy everything they touch.

As for these two cretins from Ven. I would gladly carry out a "Ramsey Bolton" style sentence. Gladly. For days. Find some narco docs that keep them alive so it takes even longer.
ts5641
Soros prosecutors only interested in prosecuting conservatives for made up crimes.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Serotonin said:

TV this morning said they're waiting for the rape kit. I'm sure they weren't playing Uno and checkers under that bridge for 2 hours before they murdered her.

And the one that went before the judge yesterday got $10,000,000 bail.

Full discloser if they walk out of the jail I say pay phone both of them.
CheeseSndwch
2/10 SWB said:

In order for these cases to qualify as capital murder, the prosecutor will need to show either kidnapping or aggrevated sexual assault. There are other forms of capital murder, but I can't imagine how it would apply here. The prosecutor is waiting on autopsy report right now. Kim Ogg (personally not a fan) has stated that the death penalty is on the table.

Relevant Penal Code chapter: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.19.htm

It's been awhile since I read the criminal code but Jocelyn Nungaray was 12 years old (i.e. younger than 15 years of age), isn't that Capital Murder under the Texas Penal Code?
localag88
I thought if one committed murder while in the process of another felony, it's cap
The problem with people that don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it.
doubledog
Tom Fox said:

It is called DEI law graduates.... Not our best and brightest by any stretch of the imagination.
aggiehawg
AG
Sorry but I never practiced in Houston much. Can't get a feel for how they will assess this case.
Martin Cash
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I don't understand how they even got bail, even though it is very high

I doubt they can raise the needed funds. And there is a separate block on their release by the feds, in any event.
The article says she was raped for two hours. This definitely can be charged as capital murder.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
SW AG80
AG
Aggie2011 is right. The charge will soon be upgraded to Capital Murder. Doesn't really matter, ICE has a hold on both since both are in the country illegally.

As to the Harris County DA office, for decades it was the shining star on the hill, not just for Texas prosecutors but for prosecutors all over the country. Many prosecutors there remained with that office, moved up the ladder and became division chiefs and tried some very high profile cases. Many prosecutors became judges, one (Ted Poe) became a US Congressman. Another, Kelly Siegler, has become a tv personality.

But then came a Soros DA when Kim Ogg was elected. But even before then, with Pat Lykos as DA, the office starting losing experienced and very good prosecutors. But with Ogg the floodgates opened and dozens of really good prosecutors left or were fired.

Since retiring I have taught law enforcement with several former Harris County prosecutors. They are angered and heart broken by what has happened to the DA office in Harris County.

Now, to answer your question, and I get this from former Harris County prosecutors, there is not a prosecutor in that office that has tried a capital murder case nor has the ability to try a capital murder case. And since so many great prosecutors have left the Prosecutor Assistance Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office, there is no one there to come in and try it for Harris County. A really bad situation.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Now, to answer your question, and I get this from former Harris County prosecutors, there is not a prosecutor in that office that has tried a capital murder case nor has the ability to try a capital murder case.
This is not true. I went to law school and am friends with the Chief Homicide Prosecutor in that office who I know for a fact has seen multiple capital murder cases through to sentencing. (Example: https://www.harriscountyda.com/houston_man_sentenced_to_life_without_parole_for_capital_murder_at_spring_branch_theater_complex)

I looked it up. The prosecutor in this case is Megan Long. She's done capital murder before.

Tom Fox
It is different prosecuting or defending a capital case where the death penalty is off the table.

I am currently defending a capital case where they are not seeking death. I would never be on a case seeking death. I am not qualified to handle that.
SW AG80
AG
As Fox mentioned above, the case you referenced is a non-death capital case. VERY different from case where death is sought.

I am getting my info from former Harris County prosecutors. They tell me the DA office in Harris County has not sought death since Ogg took office.
TXAggie2011
AG
SW AG80 said:

As Fox mentioned above, the case you referenced is a non-death capital case. VERY different from case where death is sought.

I am getting my info from former Harris County prosecutors. They tell me the DA office in Harris County has not sought death since Ogg took office.
Also wrong. Ogg has put at least 3 or 4 on death row since she took office. The prosecutor in the 2019 case is still there, Katie Warren. She's the felony chief.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row/dr_offenders_on_dr.html
bobbranco
AG
Must be unsettling for Ogg to be in charge of a racist group.

ETA: Your removed link was priceless condemnation of the Harris County DA's Office.
SW AG80
AG
That is good news because these 2 need the needle.
TXAggie2011
AG
SW AG80 said:

That is good news because these 2 need the needle.
Probably so.

(And I'm sure Ogg has made her missteps, but tell your former prosecutor friends to stop feeding you crap information )
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The Fani Willis types have infected most Democratic strongholds and are all ruling predictably. More interested in the attention they receive than justice dealt towards prevention.
SW AG80
AG
Missteps is a huge understatement. That is based on what that office was with Mike Anderson and prior regimes.
BluHorseShu
AG
EX TEXASEX said:

I might sound like a terrible person. However, when I see stories about rabid libs who love criminals and actively work to destroy my country becoming a crime victim due to their own policies it warms my heart, even if they have paid the ultimate price.
I thought we want to move back to a more Christian oriented nation? So, yes, while I can hate the current state of affairs that caused it, statements like this are not helping. Why wouldn't you just keep this kind of sentiment to yourself ? Its just as bad as some idiot lib saying it warms their heart when a conservative gets shot because they think they are destroying the country with proliferation of gun violence by being anti gun control.

TXAggie2011
AG
BluHorseShu said:

EX TEXASEX said:

I thought we want to move back to a more Christian oriented nation? So, yes, while I can hate the current state of affairs that caused it, statements like this are not helping. Why wouldn't you just keep this kind of sentiment to yourself ? Its just as bad as some idiot lib saying it warms their heart when a conservative gets shot because they think they are destroying the country with proliferation of gun violence by being anti gun control.
Yeah, yikes. I glazed through that comment last night, but I'm now appreciating how effed up that is in a thread about the murder of a 12 year old.
annie88
AG
Serotonin said:

What it really deserves is 19th century Justice of a bullet to the head and rotting in a ditch with vultures picking at their corpses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.