Supreme Court to Review States' Bans on "Gender Affirming Care" for Minors

2,004 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by No Spin Ag
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court decided Monday to review the Biden administration's "equal protection" challenge to Tennessee's ban on puberty blockers and transgender surgeries for minors.

The case, U.S. v. Skrmetti, will be argued in the term that starts in October.

It is the first time the high court will consider restrictions on puberty blockers, hormone therapy and surgery for minors.

Tennessee is one of 22 states that has measures banning such medical intervention for minors.

A federal appeals court had allowed the law in Tennessee and Kentucky to go into effect pending the outcome of ongoing litigation.

"Tennessee adopted a law that said, if you're under 18, a doctor can't provide you with hormone treatments or puberty blockers or gender reassignment surgery, for gender purposes. And we were sued by the DOJ, the ACLU and Lambda Legal," Tennessee Attorney General Jonathan Skrmetti said in an interview with Fox News last month. "We won in the Sixth Circuit, and now they're trying to get the US Supreme Court to address that. But the bottom line is the Court of Appeal saw it was states have the authority to decide whether or not these treatments should be legal within their boundaries. And some states authorize them. Some states don't. That's the way our system works."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-review-tennessee-ban-puberty-blockers-transgender-surgery-minors

Hopefully the Court will look at this the same way they did abortion and rule it is a state matter.

This is not something the federal government should be involved in, and if they strike down the bans, then it is going to be an open door for the groomers to have full and unrestricted access to every child.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
WestAustinAg
AG
Sexuality is one area that the "conservatives" on the court are more reliably liberal than not. The Supremes are likely to ban the bans...
Martin Q. Blank
If a minor can consent to an adult surgically removing or changing their sexual organs, why can't it consent to an adult engaging in other sexual activity with them?
bmks270
AG
Where does the constitution cover sex changes?

Should be an easy decision for the court.
GenericAggie
AG
This is a State issue and should not be ruled on by SCOTUS? I'm asking - not stating. It's an interesting topic. Should a 6 year old be able to make that decision against their parents' wishes? What about a 12 year old, 15 year old, 17 year old?

Can a 15 year old get birth control without parental consent?

Yes. California Family Code 6925 allows for minors to receive birth control without parental or guardian consent. There is also no age restriction and the health care provider is not allowed to inform a parent or legal guardian without the minor's consent.

In Texas, minors must get parental consent for most medical care, unless the teen is emancipated or in the military. Even teenage parents, who can consent to medical care for their children, must get their parents' approval for their own medical care, including birth control.

Your right to care. Youth in Illinois can get many sexual health services, including birth control, on their own! We encourage you to talk with a trusted adult, but you do not need anyone's permission to make an appointment.

According to Florida law, if you are under the age of 18, you do not need your parents' permission to receive reproductive health care. All of our services are confidential, which means that our staff will not tell your parents or guardians anything about the service you receive at PPSENFL.

MA: The consent of the minor alone is sufficientDSS or parental/guardian consent is not requiredfor the treatment of drug dependency (for minors 12 and over), pregnancy (except abortion and sterilization), family planning services, and treatment for a venereal disease or a disease dangerous to the public health.

Wisconsin doesn't specify whether or not a minor can get a prescription for birth control without a parent's permission. These clinics charge on what's called a sliding-scale fee basis, which means they help you pay what you can afford, and you can pay in cash.

For further information about obtaining EC in Georgia, contact Planned Parenthood of Georgia's EC Connection at 1-800-327-4557 or www.ppga.org. Minors do not need parental consent to obtain EC, and confidential services may be provided.

AZ: Anyone under age 18 can receive contraceptive services without informing or involving a parent, legal guardian, or other caregiver

Im Gipper
The claim is that this violates equal protection because it treats the sex differently. (Not my claim, the US's claim)

Apparently, the law allows a male teen to be prescribed testosterone, but not a female teen.

This case has "remand and start all over with a new test for district court to analyze because we don't want to make a decision that makes liberals even more crazy" written all over it

I'm Gipper
Maroon Dawn
AG
I would just read them the Biden Administration itself claiming that a 20 year old is too young and mentally undeveloped to understand a contract or simple interest and then ask "but they DO think a 12 year old can decide to undergo this life changing surgery on their own?

Case would be thrown out in 20 minutes
GenericAggie
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

I would just read them the Biden Administration itself claiming that a 20 year old is too young and mentally undeveloped to understand a contract or simple interest and then ask "but they DO think a 12 year old can decide this life changing decision on their own?

What is this in regards to? I'm not following close enough. A contract for ?
bmks270
AG
GenericAggie said:

Maroon Dawn said:

I would just read them the Biden Administration itself claiming that a 20 year old is too young and mentally undeveloped to understand a contract or simple interest and then ask "but they DO think a 12 year old can decide this life changing decision on their own?

What are education loans?
GenericAggie
AG
bmks270 said:

GenericAggie said:

Maroon Dawn said:

What are education loans?

ahh... got it. thanks.
MouthBQ98
AG
"Care"….
PCC_80
AG
A lot of things are forbidden to people under 18 years old. Examples being buying alcohol, tobacco, fire arms, enlisting in the military, signing certain legal/financial documents, etc. I do not see any reason why a state can't decide to add sex change drugs and procedures to that list.
Get Off My Lawn
PCC_80 said:

A lot of things are forbidden to people under 18 years old. Examples being buying alcohol, tobacco, fire arms, enlisting in the military, signing certain legal/financial documents, etc. I do not see any reason why a state can't decide to add sex change drugs and procedures to that list.
Its a mess. Alcohol, tobacco, driving, enlisting, firearms, parental insurance, tattoos, statutory rape vs Romeo & Juliet laws…

But barring a court who wants to clarify the mess, the only sane answer is to say "look, the Fed strong armed the states into the 21 alcohol thing because they didn't have the power to do it at the federal level and the states do. Either a ban on unnatural medical intervention under 18 is legal, or everything else needs to get federalized nationalized as well.
El Gallo Blanco
If they strike down the bans, I cannot say what they deserve an on online forum. Talking about the ones that would vote in favor of such evil obviously.

This is seriously unimaginable evil and other Western countries are already reversing course. Something we may look back on with horror/shame/embarrassment, in the decades to come.
bmks270
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

If they strike down the bans, I cannot say what they deserve an on online forum. Talking about the ones that would vote in favor of such evil obviously.

This is seriously unimaginable evil and other Western countries are already reversing course. Something we may look back on with horror/shame/embarrassment, in the decades to come.

History will consider these treatments barbaric. Same way we look at lobotomies today.
bmks270
AG
Im Gipper said:

The claim is that this violates equal protection because it treats the sex differently. (Not my claim, the US's claim)

Apparently, the law allows a male teen to be prescribed testosterone, but not a female teen.

This case has "remand and start all over with a new test for district court to analyze because we don't want to make a decision that makes liberals even more crazy" written all over it

The sexes should be treated differently when it comes to medical treatments and in some other cases where there exist substantial material differences (athletic physical performance).

El Gallo Blanco
bmks270 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

History will consider these treatments barbaric. Same way we look at lobotomies today.
Agreed, but should be worse imo, given that we are talking about children and impressionable teens and preteens.

If it were just adult psychos wanting to chop off their pen*ses or breasts, I wouldn't care, personally...at least they couldn't procreate.
Rapier108
Martin Q. Blank said:

If a minor can consent to an adult surgically removing or changing their sexual organs, why can't it consent to an adult engaging in other sexual activity with them?
That's the end game, always has been.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Agthatbuilds
It's totally elective, experimental surgery's and care that hasn't shown to make an appreciable dent in long term results. There very little scientific evidence that gender affirming care does anything, especially help minors. That's why nearly all of Europe is throwing on the emergency brake.

Minors can also not consent to that they do not understand.

They reality is that on e gender care starts, there's no turning back. It will forever alter the minor beyond repair.

We restrict minors, legally, in all sorts of things. This might be the most important one
CDUB98
AG
If the Supreme Court is to be consistent, they have to leave this to the states, no matter how disgusting.
Cromagnum
AG
ts5641
Send it back to the states or just ban this bull**** altogether!
BlueTaze
Martin Q. Blank said:

Yep, libs think it's ok for a minor to consent to an adult chopping of their D, but at same time don't think it's ok for a minor to consent to an adult touching their D sexually. Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Im Gipper
Quote:

The sexes should be treated differently when it comes to medical treatments and in some other cases where there exist substantial material differences (athletic physical performance).

Amen brother!

I'm Gipper
TexAgs91
AG
> Supreme Court to Review States' Bans on "Gender Affirming Care" for Minors

Why is the right always happy to use the left's terminology?
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
CDUB98
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Why is thee right always happy to use the left's terminology?
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
El Gallo Blanco
CDUB98 said:

If the Supreme Court is to be consistent, they have to leave this to the states, no matter how disgusting.
I am far from a legal expert (pretty much the complete opposite), but isn't that kind of what they are doing, trying to decide whether to still leave it up to the states to ban or not? Some states are imposing bans and the libs seem to be hoping SCOTUS somehow intervenes and says they can't. That's my understanding at least.
doubledog
CDUB98 said:

TexAgs91 said:

Why is thee right always happy to use the left's terminology?

Mental health care is the first "Gender Affirming Care" resource. Mutilation should never be an option.

There is a trend here see ... "Reproductive rights" when they mean abortion.
Rapier108
TexAgs91 said:

I used it because the original article title wouldn't fit.

Also, it is why I put it in " ".

I knew I should have explained it in the OP because some people just look for a reason to nitpick.
TexAgs91
AG
Rapier108 said:

TexAgs91 said:

I used it because the original article title wouldn't fit.

Also, it is why I put it in " ".

I knew I should have explained it in the OP because some people just look for a reason to nitpick.
I was referring to the right in general, and I saw your quotes, which is why I didn't reply to the OP. But still, I would have just called it "Gender modification". Even shorter.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
No Spin Ag
CDUB98 said:

Agreed.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.