24 rinos voted against restoring arlingtons confederate memorial

3,105 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by depogs
damiond
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The elaborately designed monument offers a nostalgic, mythologized vision of the Confederacy, including highly sanitized depictions of slavery. Standing on a 32-foot-tall pedestal, a bronze, classical female figure, crowned with olive leaves, represents the American South. She holds a laurel wreath, a plow stock and a pruning hook, with a Biblical inscription at her feet: "They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks." The statue stands on a pedestal with four cinerary urns, one for each year of the war, and is supported by a frieze with 14 shields, one for each of the 11 Confederate states and the border states of Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri. Thirty-two life-sized figures depict mythical gods alongside Southern soldiers and civilians.

Two of these figures are portrayed as African American: an enslaved woman depicted as a "Mammy," holding the infant child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war. An inscription of the Latin phrase "Victrix causa diis placuit sed victa Caton" ("The victorious cause was pleasing to the gods, but the lost cause to Cato") construes the South's secession as a noble "Lost Cause." This narrative of the Lost Cause, which romanticized the pre-Civil War South and denied the horrors of slavery, fueled white backlash against Reconstruction and the rights that the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments (1865-1870) had granted to African Americans. The image of the faithful slave, embodied in the two figures on the memorial, appeared widely in American popular culture during the 1910s through 1930s, perhaps most famously in the 1939 film "Gone with the Wind."

https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Monuments-and-Memorials/Confederate-Memorial

the leftists at the cemetery have their narrative

the left is constantly repressing and rewriting our history

sympathetic rinos help the lefts cause
Old McDonald
listen when they tell you who they are.
B-1 83
AG
I'm always amazed at how 150 years later liberals are being offended by such Confederate statues and memorials when the actual combatants were not. They served together in Congress after the War of Northern Aggression, and had the statues/busts put in.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
doubledog
The "lost cause" generation is passing... Let's not bring it back.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
doubledog said:

LOL. Whose property was Arlington National Cemetery?

Also, the memorial was placed in 1914, so 49 years after the civil war. We didn't establish a WWII memorial in Washington DC until 2004, or 59 years after the end of hostilities. The people placing the memorial were honoring their dying parents and grandparents. The country was reconciled. Where in 2024 do we get off looking down our noses at the reconciliation and saying it's "wrong"?
hoopla
As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated: my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country would have the effect of ******ing, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing , if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour. All I think that can now be done, is to aid our noble & generous women in their efforts to protect the graves & mark the last resting places of those who have fallen, & wait for better times.

Robert E. Lee to Thomas L. Rosser
Dec. 13, 1866
Lee Papers
University of Virginia Archives
ttu_85
doubledog said:

True. Maybe we need a "give it another shot generation". This time we have the pop and GDP to make it an even fight so much so North America would just be a crater when all was said and done and China would rule the world.

Still I hate the thought of losing to Yankees. Even if we were out gunned 7 to 1 and they still almost quiet in the summer of 1864.
Ag87H2O
AG
hoopla said:

As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated: my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country would have the effect of ******ing, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; & of continuing , if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour. All I think that can now be done, is to aid our noble & generous women in their efforts to protect the graves & mark the last resting places of those who have fallen, & wait for better times.

Dec. 13, 1866
Lee Papers
Nice letter, but a bit misleading as it was written 48 years before the monument was erected. A lot of healing took place between 1866 and 1914. Obviously enough that leaders of that era thought the monument was a fitting tribute that was appropriate to build.
ds00
Don't need statues of any person. We're all flawed in some way especially through the lens of a different time.
ttu_85
P.H. Dexippus said:

doubledog said:

LOL. Whose property was Arlington National Cemetery?

Also, the memorial was placed in 1914, so 49 years after the civil war. We didn't establish a WWII memorial in Washington DC until 2004, or 59 years after the end of hostilities. The people placing the memorial were honoring their dying parents and grandparents. The country was reconciled. Where in 2024 do we get off looking down our noses at the reconciliation and saying it's "wrong"?
Well they say the latest lefty blitz is sometimes referred to reconstruction 2.0. They, the Urban NE and WC, have no interest in reconciliation or sharing the real power of the union.

I say we stay quiet and continue building with our low tax, lower but smart regulation, high investment strategy. Keep building those high tech, auto, and aerospace industries down South. We are almost == in pop and eco power in another 20 years we will own them. After all, we are soon to get our very own stock exchange.
whoop1995
AG
This is the top thing to vote on? It's weird how we can't separate the line items out of a budget bill or other bills that have bull**** in them but we can let this get a stand alone vote? they have a lot of time on their hands.

This is the Arlington cemetery webpage - it was voted on in 2021 by congress to remove all symbolism and references to the confederate United States by 2024. I do not know what they are doing with headstones etc.

https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/About/Confederate-Memorial-Removal
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980, 1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
hoopla
Ag87H2O said:

hoopla said:

Dec. 13, 1866
Lee Papers
Nice letter, but a bit misleading as it was written 48 years before the monument was erected. A lot of healing took place between 1866 and 1914. Obviously enough that leaders of that era thought the monument was a fitting tribute that was appropriate to build.

The dates noted in the posts have kept most people from being mislead. Obviously, not all.

The era to which you are referring is commonly called the Jim Crow Era.
Apache
AG
aggiese72
AG
Who voted against?
damiond
REPRESENTATIVE PARTY STATE VOTE
Bacon Republican Nebraska NO
Burgess Republican Texas NO
Chavez-DeRemer Republican Oregon NO
Ciscomani Republican Arizona NO
Duarte Republican California NO
Feenstra Republican Iowa NO
Fitzpatrick Republican Pennsylvania NO
Garbarino Republican New York NO
Garcia, Mike Republican California NO
Hinson Republican Iowa NO
James Republican Michigan NO
Joyce (OH) Republican Ohio NO
Kean (NJ) Republican New Jersey NO
Kiley Republican California NO
Kim (CA) Republican California NO
LaLota Republican New York NO
Lawler Republican New York NO
McClain Republican Michigan NO
Miller-Meeks Republican Iowa NO
Newhouse Republican Washington NO
Scott, Austin Republican Georgia NO
Simpson Republican Idaho NO
Steil Republican Wisconsin NO
Valadao Republican California NO
https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2024269
Red Dane
While I don't have a problem with those with a southern history not wanting to demonize their past generations to placate people and support honoring conscripted and misled common soldiers of the south, I really have no problem with anyone wanting to remove public statues glorifying southern officers profiteering off of the misery of common citizens and slaves.
NU '95 Texas A&M '97
FarmerJohn
AG
If you made the decision to allow Confederates to be buried at Arlington, a monument to reconciliation seems like a reasonable, and in fact valuable, way to provide context to describing why they are they are there. You might not build it today but it's why so many graves from WWI and WWII are from the American South.
txwxman
Old McDonald said:

listen when they tell you who they are.

They are what they have been since April 9, 1865…losers. Apparently Sherman didn't go far enough.
sanangelo
AG
Walking over the graves of the great great grandfathers of the men you want to recuit to fight for you today in your foreign wars of grift is sound policy for maintaining that army.

It was Pres. McKinley who started the process of national reconciliation in order to sell the Treaty of Paris and end the Spanish American War.

I know it's Wikipedia, but it offers a very interesting read about the controveries surrounding CSA dead and the CSA section at Arlington along with the history of the Confederate Memorial there. See Wikipedia.
San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
rgvag11
sanangelo said:

It was Pres. McKinley who started the process of national reconciliation in order to sell the Treaty of Paris and end the Spanish American War.

McKinley started the process of pandering to the South which led us into one of the most racist eras in our nation's history.
rgvag11
B-1 83 said:

I'm always amazed at how 150 years later liberals are being offended by such Confederate statues and memorials when the actual combatants were not. They served together in Congress after the War of Northern Aggression, and had the statues/busts put in.

Oh Yeah. Union and Confederates were friends right after the war. They all served together happily in Congress when the war ended. All CSA vets were honored, burials included. Grand statues honoring the CSA were everywhere and people were happier for it. It was a lovely time. And if anyone tells you this all happened decades later by people that never participated in the war, don't believe them.

BBRex
AG
You don't have to be ****ing Nostradamus to know a memorial depicting actual slaves isn't coming back. Go put it in a museum that celebrates bad ideas.
JW
AG
Marxism. Everything that exists deserves to perish.
BBRex
AG
Slavery, and monuments that glorify it, definitely deserve the dustbin of history.
B-1 83
AG
rgvag11 said:

B-1 83 said:

Oh Yeah. Union and Confederates were friends right after the war. They all served together happily in Congress when the war ended. All CSA vets were honored, burials included. Grand statues honoring the CSA were everywhere and people were happier for it. It was a lovely time. And if anyone tells you this all happened decades later by people that never participated in the war, don't believe them.

And if people tell you that they all protested loudly and had their feelings hurt by the mere presence of Confederate memorials and symbols, don't believe them, either.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
rgvag11
Yep. That definitely never happened.
stetson
AG
Because the majority of Americans are undereducated and believe the Civil War was all about slavery.
FJB
LMCane
for my book I took pictures of the George Crook and Phil Sheridan memorials at Arlington and in DC

I am more concerned with Virginia tearing down every statue of a Confederate and renaming every high school and street.
depogs
AG
It wasn't ALL about slavery but mostly about slavery. If you don't believe me you can read the declaration of secession yourself.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.-Thomas Paine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.