Marijuana study results

6,431 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Algorithmic Epiphany
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This article is not a marijuana hit piece, by any stretch, but the facts ought to concern anyone who actually cares about the science.

Quote:

This Isn't Your Father's Marijuana Use

A new study shows pot use has explodedsurpassing daily alcohol use in 2022. Potency is way up, too. Thoughts on the new age of weed and what to do.

A new study has documented a remarkable rise in Americans' use of marijuana. Over the last 30 years, the number of people who report using the drug in the past month has risen fivefold from 8 million to 42 million. Through the mid-1990s, only about one-in-six or one-in-eight of those users consumed the drug daily or near daily, similar to alcohol's roughly one-in-ten. Now, more than 40 percent of marijuana users consume daily or near daily. The increased use is important to recognize as President Joe Biden plans to reschedule marijuana from a Class I to a Class III drug.

At the nadir of modern marijuana use, in 1992, just 0.9 million Americans reported using marijuana daily or near daily. That number had grown twenty-fold to 17.7 million by the most recent survey in 2022. For the first time, more Americans report using marijuana daily or near daily than they do drinking that often (17.7 million vs. 14.7 million).

Legalization and commercialization have produced a spectacular rise in the potency of cannabis products. Until the end of the 20th century, the average potency of seized cannabis never exceeded 5 percent THC, its active intoxicant. Now, the labeled potency of "flower" sold in state-licensed stores averages 20-25 percent THC. Extract-based products like vape oils and dabs routinely exceed 60 percent. Back in the 1990s, a person averaging two 0.5-gram joints of 4 percent THC weed per week was consuming about 5 milligrams of THC per day on average. Today's daily users average more than 1.5 grams of material that is 20-25 percent THC, which is more than 300 milligrams per day. That is far more THC than is consumed in typical medical studies of its health effects.

Quote:

Indeed, marijuana is becoming something of an old person's drug. As a group, 35-49-year-olds consume more than 26-34-year-olds, who account for a larger share of the market than 18-25-year-olds. The 50-and-over demographic accounts for slightly more days of use than those 25 and younger.

Still, it is worth asking what the population effects are of so many people consuming high-strength cannabis regularly. Science has struggled to keep up with the new world of cannabis, but potentially concerning signs include increases in emergency room visits for both psychotic episodes and cannabis-induced cyclical vomiting, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, and higher rates of automotive crashes involving impaired drivers.
Despite the facts, marijuana advocates continue to be blase about negative effects, and assure us that more marijuana use by cool people like them will be just fine.
cr0wbar
AG
Gonna spark up this afternoon to this news.
Teslag
AG
While I don't currently use, and rarely drink alcohol, it seems like every young professional I know takes some type of THC product these days. Doesn't seem to affect them at all.
texagbeliever
Marijuana is probably no different then alcohol or even eating for endorphins. It is an emotional coping mechanism that if it develops into a habit creates a crutch that will likely manifest itself into consequences later on.
The Fall Guy
AG
Teslag said:

While I don't currently use, and rarely drink alcohol, it seems like every young professional I know takes some type of THC product these days. Doesn't seem to affect them at all.

They are weak.
El Gallo Blanco
The MJ of today from dispensaries is incredibly strong, compared to the "strong" bud from the 90's and early 2000's. 1-2 hits should be more than enough for the normal non habitual smoker. I do know quite a few upstanding successful family people that take a night time gummy (in modest dosage) in the evenings, mostly for sleep. It can help you get to sleep and stay asleep from my experience, but apparently it impacts your level of REM sleep, so it may not necessarily be as high quality sleep.
peacedude
AG
The best time to toke up is on a ski trip. Alcohol will make you take stupid risks, whereas weed won't. Moreover, it makes the day seem twice as long, and the lift rides all the more enjoyable.

A sober ski trip seems like it lasts for about an hour.
El Gallo Blanco
texagbeliever said:

Marijuana is probably no different then alcohol or even eating for endorphins. It is an emotional coping mechanism that if it develops into a habit creates a crutch that will likely manifest itself into consequences later on.
Sorry...No way consuming THC orally, in reasonable doses, is nearly as bad for your body as a few alcoholic drinks each night.

The worlds top athletes in numerous major sports consume the hell out of TCH...largely because it is not nearly as hard on their body as alcohol. Michael Phelps was winning gold after gold, while smoking. I would bet that most football players use it. Drinking would be way more detrimental to their bodies.

I do agree with your message to some degree though.
No Spin Ag
texagbeliever said:

Exactly.

Also, Page Juan.
DrZ
AG
marijuana is becoming something of an old person's drug.

this strikes me as funny. It's like Facebook ruined by old people.
ChiefKiefton
So ready to watch this thread become 5 pages long of the same people repeating the same arguments.
Moral High Horse
ha...old people's drug. That's how you get into their heads.
Pantera
AG
ChiefKiefton said:

So ready to watch this thread become 5 pages long of the same people repeating the same arguments.

meanwhile the rest of us watching them fight it out
texagbeliever
El Gallo Blanco said:

texagbeliever said:

Sorry...No way consuming THC orally, in reasonable doses, is nearly as bad for your body as a few alcoholic drinks each night.

The worlds top athletes in numerous major sports consume the hell out of TCH...largely because it is not nearly as hard on their body as alcohol. Michael Phelps was winning gold after gold, while smoking. I would bet that most football players use it. Drinking would be way more detrimental to their bodies.

An appropriate use of it is perhaps pain management and temporary emotional coping. However, using it as a means to not have to emotionally process stress but instead delay the need to deal with it creates the problem. The goal would be to get through a tough patch so that in a better state you can better handle an issue. Using it everyday keeps you from working out your emotional processing skills. Which is a skill that needs practice to stay effective.

I don't disagree that some things are less immediately harmful then others. That doesn't make them less risky as it is harder to identify the actual problems present. One of the reasons why eating for endorphins is so risky is typically people don't realize they are doing it and the impacts are delayed and feed into a negative feedback loop.
Ag_07
AG
As a new user (~1 year) I can echo everything said so far and this is not surprising.

I now use MJ like I used to use alcohol. Instead of a few glasses of wine or a couple bourbons after a stressful day I'll take a gummy or take a couple rips of a one hitter once the kiddos go down.

The ease at which you can get legal strains, the lack of side effects like hangovers, and how inexpensive it is makes it convenient.

And yes...Like anything keep it in moderation and you'll be fine.
Ag with kids
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

texagbeliever said:

For my rebuttal, I give you:

If these guys could power through the booze, it must be good for you.
El Gallo Blanco
Ag with kids said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

texagbeliever said:

Fair rnough. Made me chuckle, although those guys would get laughed out of the league today.
Teslag
AG
Ag with kids said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

texagbeliever said:

Not sure Mantle is the best example. After a liver transplant mind you, specifically told us "Don't be like me"
Burdizzo
AG
peacedude said:

The best time to toke up is on a ski trip. Alcohol will make you take stupid risks, whereas weed won't. Moreover, it makes the day seem twice as long, and the lift rides all the more enjoyable.

This must explain why professional athletes smoke pot because who wouldn't risk millions of dollars in salary over weed?
javajaws
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

The MJ of today from dispensaries is incredibly strong, compared to the "strong" bud from the 90's and early 2000's. 1-2 hits should be more than enough for the normal non habitual smoker. I do know quite a few upstanding successful family people that take a night time gummy (in modest dosage) in the evenings, mostly for sleep. It can help you get to sleep and stay asleep from my experience, but apparently it impacts your level of REM sleep, so it may not necessarily be as high quality sleep.
This is probably due to apnea. Just like alcohol makes sleep apnea worse. The alcohol/THC effectively helps you and your muscles relax more thus making any inherent apnea problems worse.
peacedude
AG
Burdizzo said:

peacedude said:

This must explain why professional athletes smoke pot because who wouldn't risk millions of dollars in salary over weed?
Uhhh, I was specifically referring to weed vs. alcohol use on snow skiing/boarding trips. AFAIK, neither myself, or any of my friends/family, ever turned pro, either (or have ever risked $millions).

Skiing drunk = A bad crash is imminent
Skiing baked = Good times
80sGeorge
AG
I think if the Chinese wanted to F up our country they'd push drugs really hard. Harder stuff through the cartels across a border held open by politicians for "humanitarian" reasons.

Then push the softer stuff by funding legalization efforts. Is there Chi comm money behind all the legalization push? Who knows. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Now factor in how many antidepressants or other psych drugs that THC is replacing through self medication.
DrEvazanPhD
Gunny456
AG
Let's see how that goes the first time one of them hit and kill a family in a head on collision. It will be a different story when it involves your family.
Logos Stick
Teslag said:

That's because they mostly use it in processed consumables, like gummies, which control the amount of THC.
RandyLahey1013
I'll be 43 this year. The benefits far out way any negative side affect in my book. Countless advantages.

I honestly feel sorry for those who have been gaslighted by "medical professionals".

Keep swallowing those pills.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Funky Winkerbean said:

Now factor in how many antidepressants or other psych drugs that THC is replacing through self medication.
I've replaced xanax with THC products. I'm prescribed xanax to take twice a day. I just quit taking it and now will take a hit or two of a vape, or have a gummy later in the evening. I sleep better, I don't feel half drunk when I get up and it doesn't mess with my memory. THC doesn't have the "day after" effects like the xanax or alcohol. Folks that treat MJ like crank need a reality check.
Love Gun

**** Joe Biden
Tex117
AG
Of course it will have negative side effects....like anything "good" you can consume.

So long as those side effects are in line what we generally accept as "acceptable" by society standards (ie, like alcohol, smoking, etc.), then it should be legal.

Never touched it, but believe it should be legalized.
Muktheduck
Not surprising. Weed has become DoC for a lot of people. I do think it's far less damaging than an alcohol habit but many people aren't respecting it as a drug. Daily use is going to have detrimental effects, and obviously the more you use the worse it'll be for you.
Ag_07
AG
Logos Stick said:

Teslag said:

That's because they mostly use it in processed consumables, like gummies, which control the amount of THC.

Now before I go any further I want to make clear I'm speaking in regards to the THC products I buy from reputable companies and not the typical drug dealer pushing who knows what or the vape from the gas station kiosk.

Many THC products including bud come with lab data on their contents and THC levels. It shows you right on the package the % THC. You want something strong buy something with more THC in it and vice versa. It's not just gummies that control THC content.
BrazosDog02
AG
I thought THC gummy was illegal in Texas. How does one get it from a reputable place when it's being sold illegally?? Asking for a friend.
Ag_07
AG
It's complicated and there's lots of loopholes.

But essentially different strains of THC are legal (Delta-8, Delta-9, THCa, etc). You can walk into a smoke shop and buy gummies completely legal.

Hell you can buy legal bud online and it ships to your doorstep via USPS.
BrazosDog02
AG
Good info. But a proper shop selling anything has to have some level of scrutiny so, like stated, you're not getting some bull**** grown in a closet downtown, right?

I'm genuinely curious and we finally ventured into the CBD oil, which did almost nothing for me, or our animals, but t others say it works. Just seemed like a waste of money or. A placebo effect so figured….maybe we need to kick that up a notch.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.