CoSta housing ordinance makes the Trib

4,319 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bonfarr
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's about students in a very minor way. It's much more about keeping people the council considers to be trash out of CS. This continues College Station's best historical asset, white flight.
Herknav
AG
//Kind of reminds one of the folks living next to the airport complaining about the jet engine noise. Aggie students are the financial engine in south Brazos County; TAMU is the reason College Staion exists. Unique to A&M is that most students self regulate issues they actively deal with such as Bonfire, Student governance, dorm housing or Cadet Corp regimen and this could work for off campus housing as well with student representation. College Station City council has had students on it before and zoning for students might contribute to a more peaceful resolution.//Just my thoughts.//
//Herknav sends//
TAMU1990
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rapier108 said:

Why should Bryan/College Station make special rules, exemptions, and accommodations for students, especially at the determent to the rest of the residents?
College Station wouldn't exist without the students, and Bryan would be a lot smaller.

Quote:

Students bring nothing but trouble to neighborhoods, be it parties, loud music/bass, ultra loud vehicles, or just coming and going all hours of the day and night. Residents should not be forced to live next to 4-6+ students who have less than zero respect for their neighbors.
Don't live in a college town, then. There are a lot of students that don't do that stuff and don't like that stuff, also. It not a secret that Texas A&M is there and that there are a lot of students.

Quote:

Sure, some are good neighbors, but many are not.
So deal with the bad ones.

Sounds like someone who doesn't live here. CS would exist and it would be different. Don't be so hyperbolic. Most people I know are ok with the students, but they generally won't live in town.

It's more of a problem in town than south of town. You're going to need some $ to live south of town or across from south side of campus. The kids want to live 5-6+ in a 4 bedroom if you allowed more than 4. Don't kid yourself that would happen. Not everyone can afford their own bedroom.

In town the neighborhood streets are choked with cars everywhere and it's difficult to drive down them, much less with an emergency vehicle. These streets are old and narrow. You have trash everywhere, wear and tear on properties is not fixed, and move in/out looks like a dump. I do feel sorry for families still on streets with a large concentration of students, but don't live in town because it's unavoidable.
Jack Squat 83
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

So people that are RELATED don't cause any problems; only those that are UNRELATED.

Or is this ordinance being written to avoid legal issues?

If that's the case, you have to wonder if something else is at play. If it is, why not deal with THAT? In other words, deal with the cars on the streets and loud noise, and let the landlords deal with property damage. Start enforcing criminal statutes for the latter. Instead of telling landlords, "that's a civil matter," enforce destruction of property (or other relevant) statutes IF that's an issue.

Lock their ass up, with "their" being the people who are causing trouble. And leave those that just want to save money on rent and the landlords who have no issue with this alone.
Was going to post this. Being loud, obnoxious, destructive and disrespectful apparently isn't costing enough. Hire a code enforcer or two for the night shift and quietly respond to calls. If you really wanted more effect, and if found guilty have the University dole out some punishment too. Sorry I had (maybe) more of my share of fun too in CS but we always respected our neighbors. Lots of kids are different in that regard nowadays. We know this.

I've been around 4 people at times who could easily be just as loud as 5 or 6, so this really won't change anything IMO.

ETA: The city or someone should build parking lots nearby where possible and rent out the spots.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
redcrayon
AG
I'm still stuck on "CoSta."
itsyourboypookie
Telling a homeowner what they can and can't do with a property has to be unconstitutional
techno-ag
AG
redcrayon said:

I'm still stuck on "CoSta."
I live to serve.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Rick Burns
AG
Some of yall chose to live in a college town and complain about it having college kids.
Jefe07
AG
FWAppraiser said:

The article makes it seem like the ordinance was already in place, and they're just going to start enforcing it now. If that's the case, I have zero problem with that. The city should be enforcing the ordinances that property owners were already subject to.

If this is new, I almost always take issue with restricting private property rights. Enforce noise ordinances, parking violations, etc. if the kids are being a nuisance to their neighbors.

I was the student senate's liaison to the CS city council back in like 2005-2006 or so. This is when they first brought this up. I never head that this was a rule on the books forever or they wouldn't have gone down the initial path that they did. Their best way they could create the rule initially was to allow individual HOAs to limit unrelated people in single family homes. They couldn't do it city wide.

I'm not sure what changed that is allowing them to do it now. But they've been trying to do this for 20 years now. And they definitely wanted to limit it to less than 4 unrelated. It was 3 before I think. I remember that specifically bc for four bedroom houses, someone would have to be related.

They also hold elections right after school lets out. Not that students ever vote anyways, but they certainly make it as difficult as possible.
bonfarr
AG
This ordinance was often used in CS to combat the undocumented workers that were living 12 dudes in a 1 bedroom. The crappy apartments over by Holleman and Wellborn were full of them.
zephyr88
AG
SERIOUS QUESTION

Is it against the law to use your cellphone while driving in College Station?

Update, I answered my own question - yes, it is.

https://blog.cstx.gov/2021/01/26/reminder-cs-prohibits-cell-phone-use-while-driving/
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Personally, I don't think either side is clean in this. Yes, there are a lot of students who act like idiots and screw things up for everybody. Yes, the city has always targeted students with stupid crap.

At the end of the day, too many rentals in a neighborhood is a problem whether it's students or not and the way things have gone lately, that's not just a College Station problem.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Quote:

The Aggieland Board has a thread on motorcycle cops watching intersections and pulling over anyone who touches their cellphone at the light.
Motorcycle cops being jackasses is an immutable fact of life.
bonfarr
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Quote:

The Aggieland Board has a thread on motorcycle cops watching intersections and pulling over anyone who touches their cellphone at the light.
Motorcycle cops being jackasses is an immutable fact of life.

The CS cops on the bicycles are even worse
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.