Ft Bend ISD Class Ranking Controversy

6,868 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cecil77
Kansas Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zephyr88 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Can you imagine the valedictorian of your HS class being a complete stanger to everyone??
I have no idea who the valedictorian of my HS was. I think some asian chick.
I didn't know who out valedictorian was either... I was too busy enjoying life in the early 80's.

Back then, high school wasn't a 'job'.

My school didn't name a valedictorian and no one cared.
EclipseAg
AG
dude95 said:

Not normally over here - but my kid is affected by this.

No one is happy about it no matter the outcome and the problem is not at all what you guys are thinking. It's all about the academy's. My son goes to the international business academy - he was bussing over an hour to get to Travis HS each way for an opportunity he wanted in a 'GT' type academy (I dropped him at the bus stop at 5:45 each morning, getting back at the house at 4). Most kids doing this are at the top of the class.

Here is the real controversy. The academy's are generally located in schools that don't have the greatest academics and are used by the schools to boost accreditation scores. The kids are promised additional education opportunities.

Problem is, those academy schools don't want their entire top 10% to be dominated by kids that are bussed in. I understand those parents. After years of those parent's complaining, the school board relented and changed the policy to ranking against your home school instead of the school you went to.

In the international business academy, the business class are not counted as AP and so they don't get the grade bump. This change will lower his ranking significantly against kids who were in more AP classes. Same for all of the kids at that academy.

Not only that - his high school transcripts shows a ranking for one school and a high school profile of a different school. We're trying to contact the colleges he is applying from to work it out up front because most are going to assume fraud and throw out the application otherwise. All of the kids are trying to figure out how to navigate this.

So for the guys pointing to 'Indians and Chinese' in the academy trying to force this, you are wrong on so many levels. One - I've got a white boy. Two - no one - no matter the race - wants to be ranked at their home school. Three - if they did go to the home school they would be ranked way higher than the currently would be.

So there are some kids who have to go to graduation at a place they never went to school, sitting by kids they don't know. For the tip top - there may be a valedictorian having to make a speech to a massive audience who are as misguided as some of this thread is and kids resentful of them being there. It won't be my kid - he's trying to get in the top 10% when he would have been in the top 5% at Travis.
You are saying the same thing I did.

The people who pushed for the original rule change are the parents at places like Hightower where academy students took up all the top spots. They were tired of seeing students from the medical academy as valedictorian/salutatorian and top 10 percent.

The rule was changed.

Now they are upset that academy students at other campuses are taking up the top spots at their home campus, and to top it off, some academy students are cheating to make it appear they are zoned to low-performing schools to game the system.

You may think this isn't a racial issue, but it is absolutely about dividing up the spoils.
Buck Turgidson
Try to enjoy HS now and start making grades below an A and you'll wind up at Tech or UH. The world of college admissions (at the top 75-100 universities anyway) is super unforgiving now if you are white or Asian.
EclipseAg
AG
If you have doubts that this was a racial or DEI issue, read this article:

https://defendernetwork.com/news/fort-bend-isd-valedictorian-policy/

ABATTBQ11
AG
MD1993 said:

Who even comes up with that type of ranking system? So weird.

The purpose was to stop parents from trying to move their kids into less competitive schools their last semester or senior year in order to bump up their ranking. They basically instituted a policy that you are ranked based on where your supposed to attend, not where you actually attend, so moving within the district would be pointless. I think they didn't quite think it through and should have determined it by where you spent the most time enrolled as a student prior to your last semester.
cecil77
AG
We're talking about ceremonies and rankings.

Deem the academies as a separate school. They have their own ranking and their own ceremony.
10Aggie10
AG
Sounds like the top 10% rule should go away, and we should start deciding college spots on aptitude things like SAT/ACT again.

Parents and students attempt to game system to get that auto-admit. Even in here, we have a parent who says "my kid would be top 20 at every school except his school because it's all academically gifted kids". So if we went off of merit, all of the kids in the academy would be going to good colleges while the salutatorian at inner city school doesn't get auto-admit to Aggieland where he/she is in over their head.

TLDR: aptitude-based is the way. Do away with rankings and "top 10 percent", especially in areas where it's easily manipulated (like, maybe we can keep top ten percent in Muleshoe)
torrid
AG
The converse argument is the would-be valedictorian at the lesser school is only valedictorian because all the smarter kids went to a magnet school.
evestor1
i love this chaos. Houston is probably as bad as it gets with kids going to incorrectly zoned schools.

It is one of the few places where suburban schools are so diverse with race ... and white people try to scheme around it.
Kellso
Buck Turgidson said:

Try to enjoy HS now and start making grades below an A and you'll wind up at Tech or UH. The world of college admissions (at the top 75-100 universities anyway) is super unforgiving now if you are white or Asian.
What's wrong with Texas Tech or UH?

Rice and Stanford are not for everyone. College admissions have been super hard for white people for at least the last 30 years or so. Once the the Asians took over Ft Bend County the days of white kids going straight to UT without having to start at ACC ended.

The best way to get into UT or A&M if you come from average means or have average grades is to play sports. With the NIL you can be an undergrad making tons of $$$$$ before you ever graduate.
EclipseAg
AG
evestor1 said:

i love this chaos. Houston is probably as bad as it gets with kids going to incorrectly zoned schools.

It is one of the few places where suburban schools are so diverse with race ... and white people try to scheme around it.
In Fort Bend, it is mostly immigrants who game the system for their children's benefit, i.e. renting one apartment in a particular school zone and then having four or five families claim it as their residence. Or often, they use a relative's address.

The district mostly ignores these infractions.

However, I believe the community activist who was making a big deal about FBISD's class rank rule got two of the four valedictorians from Dulles removed from the top spots at their supposed high schools due to fake addresses. The district said it was because they "reevaluated the class rankings" but the lady posted on Facebook that it was due to tips she received about residency falsification.

Allegedly, one of the former valedictorians was in the academy at Dulles, lived in the Clements school zone with his parents but had a false residency in the Marshall zone.
EclipseAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

MD1993 said:

Who even comes up with that type of ranking system? So weird.

The purpose was to stop parents from trying to move their kids into less competitive schools their last semester or senior year in order to bump up their ranking. They basically instituted a policy that you are ranked based on where your supposed to attend, not where you actually attend, so moving within the district would be pointless. I think they didn't quite think it through and should have determined it by where you spent the most time enrolled as a student prior to your last semester.
In Fort Bend, it was 100 percent about the academy kids taking the top spots at the low-performing schools where the academies were placed.

From The Defender:

"In 2019, then-Superintendent Charles Dupre and trustees said they needed to find a more equitable way to rank high school students at campuses that had school-choice programs. Texas universities offer automatic admission to students who graduate in the top 10% of their class. Since school choice programs/academies (similar to magnet programs) were introduced in the district, Dupre said academy students were the majority of top 10% grads at these schools, leaving other students out."

Agthatbuilds
dude95 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I'm not trying to make this a race thing in any way. I'm correctly pointing out that when decisions are made within the framework of crt/dei, ot will inevitably lead to unnecessarily complicated and unfair results.

I know nothing of ftbisd racial make up. That's why said underperforming.
You realize you are the one pulling in CRT/DEI into the conversation - the school board, the news, etc - no one is stating that's an objective or part of the conversation. You realize what the R in CRT is, right?

Obviously. Fine, just critical theory. It's not necessarily simply just about race. It's about power.

But go on. Policies like putting such magnet programs inside of underperforming schools is a consequence of such Critical theory.

dude95
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

dude95 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I'm not trying to make this a race thing in any way. I'm correctly pointing out that when decisions are made within the framework of crt/dei, ot will inevitably lead to unnecessarily complicated and unfair results.

I know nothing of ftbisd racial make up. That's why said underperforming.
You realize you are the one pulling in CRT/DEI into the conversation - the school board, the news, etc - no one is stating that's an objective or part of the conversation. You realize what the R in CRT is, right?

Obviously. Fine, just critical theory. It's not necessarily simply just about race. It's about power.

But go on. Policies like putting such magnet programs inside of underperforming schools is a consequence of such Critical theory.

Just think of it this way - if you had a high performing school would you be happy if they bussed really smart kids from an hour away to be including in your class ranking? Or would you prefer that your kids were only ranked against the locals and not have spots taken by someone else.

But as someone coming from the inside here - and I have one at a magnet and two who will be at the home school - there is no good answer. Put magnets in better schools, local kids still will complain. Rank them amongst themselves - no kid would ever go because their ranking is against top academic kids. Don't rank at all - colleges throw some applications without ranking in the trash.

Among other problems - I think the academies will eventually just stop existing.
Agthatbuilds
The should be ranked among the school the attend.

bmc13
AG
Quote:

I don't know that the programs are done well enough to warrant the 2 hours a day commute for 4 years.

this is also real bs. whether an academy or the gt elem school or similar, it sucks to have to go all the way across town to a different school. I grew up with it and wished I could have gone to the school close to my house.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
zephyr88 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Can you imagine the valedictorian of your HS class being a complete stanger to everyone??
I have no idea who the valedictorian of my HS was. I think some asian chick.
I didn't know who out valedictorian was either... I was too busy enjoying life in the early 80's.

Back then, high school wasn't a 'job'.

When my kids ask me about growing up in the 80's I can see the jealousy in their facial expressions.

"So let me get this straight…you didn't come home til dark? And you'd been gone all day? With no cell phone?"

Jack Squat 83
AG
It was mentioned earlier, and it seems if there was a 2 or 3 year attendance requirement for consideration of class ranking, wouldn't that end 80% of this mess?

To fix the other 20%, do away with the 10% auto-acceptance BS. That seems to be the incentive for all of these shenanigans to begin with. Universities should have a merit-based process, which is completely transparent, front and center.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
techno-ag
AG
deddog said:

ts5641 said:

My nearly daily "public education is broke" post.

I saw a sticker on a car , just yesterday that said "Don't mess with Public Schools" and though what kind of idiot puts that sticker
(SWAustin )
Someone opposed to school vouchers, usually a school employee.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Buck Turgidson
cecil77 said:

Deem the academies as a separate school. They have their own ranking and their own ceremony.

Then there is one kid from among a group of the district's best students who is valedictorian for the academy, and another far less qualified valedictorian of Hightower High School, while 40+ other, more qualified kids at the academy get screwed.

Also, while most of the kids at the academy are more deserving of auto admission to the flagships, they'd instead bump the top kids from Hightower ahead of them. There's no good solution when you use class ranking. Schools ought to admit based upon SAT/ACT score, course rigor and GPA. Class ranking for the purposes of auto-admissions is a bad idea.
Kellso
Buck Turgidson said:

cecil77 said:

Then there is one kid from among a group of the district's best students who is valedictorian for the academy, and another far less qualified valedictorian of Hightower High School, while 40+ other, more qualified kids at the academy get screwed.

Also, while most of the kids at the academy are more deserving of auto admission to the flagships, they'd instead bump the top kids from Hightower ahead of them. There's no good solution when you use class ranking. Schools ought to admit based upon SAT/ACT score, course rigor and GPA. Class ranking for the purposes of auto-admissions is a bad idea.
Nah...Id rather go class ranking. The top kids at any school (even if the schools is full of Blacks and Mexicans) deserve a shot at admission to Big State University. This also goes for rural white kids at a school out in the sticks.
The top students at Hightower, Marshall and Willowridge all deserve admission to taxpayer funded schools.

Private schools are better equipped to just use things like the SAT/ACT which typically breaks down along socio-economic lines.
I knew plenty of lazy rich kids who never put any effort into school and easily scored 1200-1300 on their SAT's. This was mainly the result of being blessed with parents and family members that were already educated.

Some of these people did great after school......some of these people turned into the biggest F-Ups imaginable once they started messing with drugs and alcohol.

Why aren't major college football teams filled with kids from Highland Park, Southlake Carroll and Westlake? These schools have been kicking ass in football for decades.

The reason why is that many college coaches feel that they could take a "less qualified" player and if they gave him all the advantages that an affluent high school gave its student athletes they could get the same or superior output from that player.

College admissions isn't that different. Colleges want to admit the best students from all demographic levels.....including the lower class.
cecil77
AG
It should be A state school, not Any state school.
cecil77
AG
It should be A state school, not Any state school.
combat wombat™
AG
My niece graduated in the top 5% at her high school, would have gotten into A&M and UT. And she would have failed out. She performed poorly at UH. She did manage to turn things around and get a degree from UH downtown but it was difficult for her. Her high school? Ball High in Galveston. That school did a piss poor job preparing her for college. The was very little academic rigor. She did her work and studied but the bar was set very, very low. Sadly, top 10% is not meaningful.
Kellso
combat wombat said:

My niece graduated in the top 5% at her high school, would have gotten into A&M and UT. And she would have failed out. She performed poorly at UH. She did manage to turn things around and get a degree from UH downtown but it was difficult for her. Her high school? Ball High in Galveston. That school did a piss poor job preparing her for college. The was very little academic rigor. She did her work and studied but the bar was set very, very low. Sadly, top 10% is not meaningful.
and?

There are also kids from affluent high schools that fail out of college. Individual antidotes mean little to me.

The kid I'm not impressed with is the upper middle class kid who did average in school, but has a 1300 SAT.
Typically these folks are underachievers...and its usually their parents squealing the loudest about non whites taking "their" spots in school.
Tanya 93
combat wombat said:

I have a HS Kid that works for me, who is graduating tonight, and he has not stepped in his HS for 2 years.

All classes have been at MACC.

He will be starting Mizzou as an 18 year old junior.

In Biomedical research or something like that

Tom Fox
Kellso said:

combat wombat said:

and?

There are also kids from affluent high schools that fail out of college. Individual antidotes mean little to me.

The kid I'm not impressed with is the upper middle class kid who did average in school, but has a 1300 SAT.
Typically these folks are underachievers...and its usually their parents squealing the loudest about non whites taking "their" spots in school.

The SAT/ACT is largely about IQ. College should weigh standardized testing results above everything else. Class rank auto admits are idiotic.

I grew up poor. My dad did not graduate high school and my mom never attended college. Both of my brothers also never attended college.

My standardized testing scores are what separated me and allowed me to attend college with merit aid. The smartest should be admitted first.

Flash forward to now and both of my daughters attend competitive private school and score in the top 2% on standardized testing. If they score a top standardized test score on the SAT/ACT, they should absolutely be admitted to ut/A&M over some inner city kid that was in the top 6% but could only pull a 1300 on their SAT.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The SAT and ACT would love to have you and everyone else believe that, but ultimately they're formulaic in what they cover, how they ask and structure questions, and how they score. Like any standardized test, they can be gamed and studied for. That's not to say that any idiot can go get a great score, but they're more a mix of general aptitude measurement and how serious you take studying and going to college than general aptitude alone. The problem is there's no way to tell how much is aptitude and how much is studying and prep.

Tom Fox
ABATTBQ11 said:

The SAT and ACT would love to have you and everyone else believe that, but ultimately they're formulaic in what they cover, how they ask and structure questions, and how they score. Like any standardized test, they can be gamed and studied for. That's not to say that any idiot can go get a great score, but they're more a mix of general aptitude measurement and how serious you take studying and going to college than general aptitude alone. The problem is there's no way to tell how much is aptitude and how much is studying and prep.

Even if what you say it entirely accurate, it would still be a far superior metric for college admission than trying to determine if a 4.0 gpa at an inner city or rural high school is equivalent in determining the iq/college readiness of someone with a 4.0 from an elite private school.

I took the SAT without any prep other than a single practice test because I was poor and my family did not prioritize education. I went to law school in my late 30s and did decent prep for the LSAT. Essentially I scored in the same percentage for both tests. It would be extremely difficult for someone with a sub 120 IQ to score a 170+ on the LSAT. I was only able to improve my score 3 points with diligent practice.

Standardized testing should be the academic metric used college admission with gpa used to a far lesser degree to supplement.
Cepe
AG
deddog said:

ts5641 said:

My nearly daily "public education is broke" post.

I saw a sticker on a car , just yesterday that said "Don't mess with Public Schools" and though what kind of idiot puts that sticker
(SWAustin )

I'm sure it was on the paint of their car too.
techno-ag
AG
Tom Fox said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Even if what you say it entirely accurate, it would still be a far superior metric for college admission than trying to determine if a 4.0 gpa at an inner city or rural high school is equivalent in determining the iq/college readiness of someone with a 4.0 from an elite private school.

I took the SAT without any prep other than a single practice test because I was poor and my family did not prioritize education. I went to law school in my late 30s and did decent prep for the LSAT. Essentially I scored in the same percentage for both tests. It would be extremely difficult for someone with a sub 120 IQ to score a 170+ on the LSAT. I was only able to improve my score 3 points with diligent practice.

Standardized testing should be the academic metric used college admission with gpa used to a far lesser degree to supplement.
Agreed. But going by those metrics alone does not yield the racial diversity colleges wish to see. Thus the exceptions to meet quotas.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Fido2K
And…another reason why we homeschool.
Sq 17
Tom Fox said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I took the SAT without any prep other than a single practice test because I was poor and my family did not prioritize education.

Sorry your parents did not prioritize education it is more likely they did not really understand how things work

All the parents with adhd or dyslexic kids would disagree with you about standardized testing being the ultimate and best tool for evaluation
techno-ag
AG
Sq 17 said:

Tom Fox said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I took the SAT without any prep other than a single practice test because I was poor and my family did not prioritize education.

Sorry your parents did not prioritize education it is more likely they did not really understand how things work

All the parents with adhd or dyslexic kids would disagree with you about standardized testing being the ultimate and best tool for evaluation
Accommodations are different in college, though.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Tom Fox
Sq 17 said:

Tom Fox said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

My youngest brother was dyslexic and ended up completing high school but only after repeating a couple of grades. He ended up going to prison right after he graduated but now runs a very lucrative welding business in College Station.

I say to those with learning disabilities, it's going to be tough, perhaps higher education isn't the path for you.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.