Troy Nehls (R-TX 22nd District) accused of 'stolen valor'

6,549 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Ellis Wyatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Decay said:

I'm impartial but now it sounds like a hit job. So I'm rooting for him
Leftists holds republicans to incredibly high standards and try to destroy them, yet they have no integrity or standards for their own.
B-1 83
AG
InfantryAg said:

Bronze Stars are 95% an award for admin people who did their jobs in a "war" (this included kuwait etc) zone. It's become a crap award and means nothing, at least in the Army.

Bronze Star with a V device is an actual earned award.

Him wearing that CIB pin is garbage. He wasn't an Infantryman and didn't earn it. Even if someone made an administrative mistake, he should have had the internal fortitude to get that fixed. In the interim, he should have never claimed to have one, let alone wear one. That is DECEIT! That is Stolen Valor, he wears the pin to benefit him.

I knew a guy who was in Afghanistan two weeks before he fell off a truck and broke his leg. His battalion was later blanket awarded CIBs (also crap), and his name was still on the list, so he got one. Boy did he like to show that off.
That's sad. Dad got his by saving the life (and leg) of his B-24 co-pilot, and helping to land the plane with a shot out nose wheel and smoking electrical panel. He always laughed and said if it happened over Europe instead of in the CBI theater, he'd have gotten the silver star for sure.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Stressboy
AG
Vepp said:

If he's willing to lie about something so easily checked, then I wouldn't want him making decisions for my district.

What about this kind of lie, "I don't know what a woman is!"

I'm confused are you upset that he lied about something that could easily be checked or because he lied?

Please do tell us what kind of lie is okay with you?
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
InfantryAg said:

Old Army Ghost said:

InfantryAg said:

He's also dishonest, trying to pass himself off as a Combat Infantryman.
lol

it was given to him and later corrected in 2023

you just a grumpy guy who sounds like the old men at the vfw
He knew he wasn't an infantryman. He 100% knew he wasn't entitled to a CIB.

When you get off of active duty you check your DD214 before it's finalized. It's more likely that he had the clerk add it on there.

The CIB is the most coveted award an infantryman can EARN, next to maybe the MoH. It is an award you earn for engaging the enemy, something an infantryman signs up to do. An infantryman signs up for it knowing he has the highest probability of dying in battle.

It was so envied that the army had to invent the CAB.

I've never been to a VFW because (historically) it's full of guys like him, trying to make out that they were something more than they were.

I was gonna post the same comment about the prestige of a CIB; where/ when did you earn yours (assuming you earned one given your handle)?
BluHorseShu
AG
Stressboy said:

Vepp said:

If he's willing to lie about something so easily checked, then I wouldn't want him making decisions for my district.

I'm confused are you upset that he lied about something that could easily be checked or because he lied?

Not the kind that steals valor from those who actually deserve it. How about we draw a line there? But I also see the irony in todays climate. Seems the standard these days is that lying is accepted of those who represent our ideals, or who say they will were for our interests. Its not accepted for anyone not in that category.

Rationalizing this stuff away is the simplest way for us not to toil about the ethics of it and just move on without straining our conscience.
Claverack
What did he claim to be during his campaign? That would mean more to me than a mistakenly issued pin.

We already know how much this means to Democrats. We have Senator Blumenthal who lied about Vietnam service. We see the President repeatedly lie about his son's service whenever he is confronted with the surrender he orchestrated in Afghanistan and the deaths he caused there.

If Nehls claimed an honor he didn't earn during the campaign, then some of you have a point.

It is just not one you ever made with an idiot like Blumenthal.
Mark Stoops
Isn't it telling how disproportionately common this is with politicians? Just a good reminder that although they aren't equal, most politicians on both sides are genuinely cynical scumbags.
Stressboy
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Stressboy said:

Vepp said:

Not the kind that steals valor from those who actually deserve it. How about we draw a line there? But I also see the irony in todays climate. Seems the standard these days is that lying is accepted of those who represent our ideals, or who say they will were for our interests. Its not accepted for anyone not in that category.

Rationalizing this stuff away is the simplest way for us not to toil about the ethics of it and just move on without straining our conscience.

In this current climate one side rationalizes and the other just doesn't give a damn. What the man didseemed pretty light compared to others. Given his true record in the military he deserves forgiveness.

That's what his nation needs, not strict ethics but forgiveness and redemption. We used to believe in those things.
policywonk98
AG
Well, one thing I know, pretty sure Sam Brown has his CIB to go with his Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He doesn't need paperwork to prove anything. He also just won the GOP primary for US Senate in Nevada. The GOP and grassroots needs to get behind this man to try and unseat the Dem in Nevada.

https://captainsambrown.com/

Seems like Nehls is claiming his CIB on a technicality. Is it the same as Sam Brown? No, and stolen valor should be taken seriously, but it seems like the man claimed it based on what he believes to be true of his record. It's not in the same category as outright fraud. So I'm not sure he should be raked over the coals and lose the support of the grassroots.

StonewallAggieDEFENSE
Slightly off topic about the stolen valor issue. I can tell you that Troy boy doesn't answer to his constituents' emails either. He doesn't address the issues. In other words he shouldn't be in congress either… he doesn't earn his pay. Perhaps the same is true of his military career?
eric76
AG
InfantryAg said:

I've never been to a VFW because (historically) it's full of guys like him, trying to make out that they were something more than they were.
Some VFW's offer meals to the general public to raise money. I went to the one in Paw Paw, Michigan for breakfast one Sunday morning years ago with a Michigan state trooper, a deputy sheriff, and a Paw Paw police officer. I don't remember what I ate, but I do remember that it was a very good breakfast.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
P.H. Dexippus
AG
StonewallAggieDEFENSE said:

Slightly off topic about the stolen valor issue. I can tell you that Troy boy doesn't answer to his constituents' emails either. He doesn't address the issues. In other words he shouldn't be in congress either… he doesn't earn his pay. Perhaps the same is true of his military career?

You think congressmen personally answer every constituent email?
StonewallAggieDEFENSE
No, but someone in his office should answer specifics of congressional issues.
BluHorseShu
AG
Stressboy said:

BluHorseShu said:

Stressboy said:

Vepp said:

In this current climate one side rationalizes and the other just doesn't give a damn. What the man didseemed pretty light compared to others. Given his true record in the military he deserves forgiveness.

That's what his nation needs, not strict ethics but forgiveness and redemption. We used to believe in those things.
Totally agree. Unfortunately neither side seems to be heading in the direction where understanding and forgiveness are more the norm than the exception.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't know what he claimed during the campaign, but wearing the Combat Infantry Badge on his suit lapel daily in D.C. seems to be what raised the issue.

And some other Republican veterans in the House think it's a big deal:

https://www.notus.org/congress/troy-nehls-combat-infantry-badge-pin-revoked

I'm not a vet and it just looked like a bureaucratic paperwork issue to me, but I'm willing to listen to others like InfantryAg explain why it matters.
[url=https://www.notus.org/congress/troy-nehls-combat-infantry-badge-pin-revoked][/url]
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.