Biden wants 44.6% long term capital gains tax

5,834 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by YouBet
TheCurl84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He has formally proposed this.

If he is re-elected and if the Dems win both chambers of Congress, this will happen IMO.

Would you expect there to be any grandfathering policy as part of this?
BCSWguru
why not 80 percent? 100 percent?
Thunderstruck xx
Can you add more info on what this means? Is he proposing that unrealized gains be taxed?
MouthBQ98
AG
Goodbye foreign investment. Goodbye international corporate HQ. I don't know why the left is so obsessed with punishing the invetors that take risks to try to create and grow business.
RedHand
AG
TheCurl84 said:

If he is re-elected and if the Dems win both chambers of Congress, this will happen IMO.

Congress would be voting against their own interests. I don't think this would pass as easily as you think.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
MouthBQ98 said:

Goodbye foreign investment. Goodbye international corporate HQ. I don't know why the left is so obsessed with punishing the invetors that take risks to try to create and grow business.

Because people on the left are parasites that know nothing but stealing from others.
Ag_0112358132134
That will tank the economy and doesn't even make sense.

So of course he's proposing it.
chris1515
AG
Since the OP didn't include any source...

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/biden-calls-for-doubling-capital-gains-tax-rate

Quote:

Biden's FY25 budget proposal would nearly double that capital gains tax rate to 39.6%. That proposed capital gains rate increase would apply to investors who make at least one million dollars a year.
Ag CPA
AG
Congress would never pass this, in large part due to self interests as noted above.
JW
AG
Adios markets
Tex117
AG
This is absolutely mother effing insane.

A nuclear bomb would go off in the economy if this passed.

(It wont, but still).
PCC_80
AG
Brandon is trying to make China and Russia much more appealing places for people to do business. No one is going to invest anything in the U.S.A. with these kind of tax laws.
Tea Party
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Because people on the left are parasites that know nothing but stealing from others.
True. But with how the GOPe likes to spend money we at least know the politicians on the right also like to steal from others too...
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
Aggie95
AG
ahh, the old double taxation. Tax my money....I buy an investment....tax me again when I sell it. Here's an idea dems....**** off!
Ag_0112358132134
Ag CPA said:

Congress would never pass this, in large part due to self interests as noted above.

Yeah, Congress would never pass a law and exempt themselves from it.

It's not likely to pass, but never say never.
Wes97
AG
Why create a whole new rate? Just tax everything at the same regular marginal income tax rate that they are already in if you are going to change something. Really odd.
Slicer97
AG
Aggie95 said:

ahh, the old double taxation. Tax my money....I buy an investment....tax me again when I sell it. Here's an idea dems....**** off!

Eloquently stated. I used to despise leftist ideals. Now I despise leftists themselves.
aggiehawg
AG
Ag CPA said:

Why not? They can just exempt themselves like they do with everything else.
MemphisAg1
AG
Aggie95 said:

ahh, the old double taxation. Tax my money....I buy an investment....tax me again when I sell it.
Capital gain taxes are even more sinister when you realize they are not indexed for inflation. An asset can appreciate in value over time simply due to inflation. Why should you pay taxes on inflation?
DrEvazanPhD
aggiehawg said:

Ag CPA said:

Why not? They can just exempt themselves like they do with everything else.
See: Care, Obama
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Tea Party said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

MouthBQ98 said:

True. But with how the GOPe likes to spend money we at least know the politicians on the right also like to steal from others too...

I've come to the conclusion that the GOP is mostly bootlicking moderates. I don't think the very few actual conservatives in the party are stealing our money.
Science Denier
AG
Ag CPA said:

They will say they get an exception.
LOL OLD
JWinTX
Everyone needs to prepare for this all coming. And raising of income taxes on any household making over $250k. Quite honestly, the Medicare taxes and SS taxes will also get raised substantially. As in no more celling for when SS taxes aren't paid.

But when these are put into law, the tweets will be very nice as they blame Trump and the GOP for having to do this.
PCC_80
AG
JWinTX said:

Everyone needs to prepare for this all coming. And raising of income taxes on any household making over $250k. Quite honestly, the Medicare taxes and SS taxes will also get raised substantially. As in no more celling for when SS taxes aren't paid.

But when these are put into law, the tweets will be very nice as they blame Trump and the GOP for having to do this.
Most of Trumps Tax Cuts expire at the end of this year unless something is done. So, Dems/Libs already have that tax hike already baked in. These other increases will probably be on top of all the ones coming.
rgag12
AG
Aggie95 said:

Capital gains tax only taxes you on the amount over your basis (i.e. the gain) it's not a double tax.

The problem here is that capital gains taxes are soon going to be taxed at higher rates than most anyone living can remember. This will have consequences that nobody alive can predict apart from the initial change in investment strategy for the affluent.
Heineken-Ashi
If this comes to fruition, stocks will be flushed from the market immediately after the election. The selloff would cascade until we are back at COVID lows.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Ag_B_10
AG
Where are the brandon supporters to support this?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

Where are the brandon supporters to support this?

They hide until it becomes something Trump related.
Aggie95
AG
rgag12 said:

Aggie95 said:

Capital gains tax only taxes you on the amount over your basis (i.e. the gain) it's not a double tax.

The problem here is that capital gains taxes are soon going to be taxed at higher rates than most anyone living can remember. This will have consequences that nobody alive can predict apart from the initial change in investment strategy for the affluent.
Agree to disagree. If i buy something with post tax dollars, I shouldn't be taxed (ever again) on that item..whether I sell it or not. Like it was said above, some of that is pure inflation..I shouldn't be penalized for inflation.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Ag CPA said:

They would just exempt themselves
Logos Stick
Every darn day it gets worse!

I guess I should be concerned about control of the House because if he gets both chambers, he'll use reconciliation to pass this garbage!
Logos Stick
Ag CPA said:

Ok, but wanna bet it gets significantly increased? I'm betting 30%+ if the Dems win both chambers and the WH.
Logos Stick
for context:

schmellba99
AG
RedHand said:

TheCurl84 said:

Congress would be voting against their own interests. I don't think this would pass as easily as you think.
I have no doubt there would be caveats and carve outs for elected officials and their families. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.