American tourist caught with ammo in Turks and Caicos

16,413 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by techno-ag
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

U.S. Senator Rick Scott of Florida posted on X asking why any American would travel to Turks and Caicos. Scott also called on the U.S. State Department to update its travel advisory and demand the release of Americans.
Wonder what happens if a politician were to get caught. Such a victimless "crime."
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bubblez
Harry Stone said:

I wonder what ol bubblez has to say about this now.
Why should I say anything different? I fully respect the sovereignty of Turks and Caicos and their rights to enforce the laws of their country. Its unfortunate that we have dim witted Americans that don't give a second thought that our casual attitude towards anything to do with firearms may not apply outside our borders.
techno-ag
AG
Bubblez said:

Harry Stone said:

Why should I say anything different? I fully respect the sovereignty of Turks and Caicos and their rights to enforce the laws of their country. It's unfortunate that we have dim witted Americans that don't give a second thought that our casual attitude towards anything to do with firearms may not apply outside our borders.
Eh. If our own TSA doesn't care much about bullets, I don't see why we should care what a small island thinks. I still support a tourism boycott until they change their policies. Make it a hefty fine, whatever. But 12 years in jail is equivalent to old school Caribbean piracy.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Slicer97
AG
Bubblez said:

the USA's idiotic gun laws
And there it is....
Logos Stick
Bubblez said:

I've been to the Caribbean dozens of times,

I don't believe you.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I fully respect the sovereignty of Turks and Caicos and their rights to enforce the laws of their country.

In an earlier post, you were calling for the guy from Oklahoma to spend 60-90 days in jail for each bullet found.

Just in case you wonder why no one takes you seriously.
annie88
AG
Bubblez said:

Harry Stone said:

Why should I say anything different? I fully respect the sovereignty of Turks and Caicos and their rights to enforce the laws of their country. Its unfortunate that we have dim witted Americans that don't give a second thought that our casual attitude towards anything to do with firearms may not apply outside our borders.

So if Brittany Greiner had stayed there for her 12 year sentence, she would've been OK with that? She's about as dimwitted as they come and she got special treatment and is now making money off of breaking laws in Russia. But you don't seem bothered by that.

And I don't see anybody asking President Biden's to help with this guy. Oh wait, he's white. That's why you don't have a problem with it.
Central Committee
AG
Logos Stick said:

Bubblez said:

I don't believe you.
Cuba??
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
plowe32
AG
https://abcnews.go.com/International/bryan-hagerich-turks-caicos-sentencing/story?id=110534962
Tumble Weed
plowe32 said:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/bryan-hagerich-turks-caicos-sentencing/story?id=110534962

This story will cost TCI millions. Glad that he is headed home.
Kraft Punk
Poor shanked punt

He really wanted to see the hard working middle class American go to prison bc a couple bullets were left in a pack

Everyone point & laugh at the sad sack
StandUpforAmerica
Add T&C to the list of ****hole countries to stay away from.
I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
Deputy Travis Junior
sam callahan said:

Quote:

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

I've been to the Turks and Caicos and 40 or so other countries. Never read up on their gun laws before going, save a hunting expedition in Argentina.

Not gonna bust his balls for not knowing their crap law.

Honestly man, this is pretty stupid. If you're going to mess with either drugs or guns in a foreign country, you sure as **** ought to look at the laws. It's common knowledge that laws on those two items vary greatly from country to country and that the penalties can be penal colony severe.

This is the same thing that dumbass Brittany Griner did.
Logos Stick
Central Committee said:

Logos Stick said:

Bubblez said:

I don't believe you.
Cuba??

Yes. Sorry. I stand corrected.
Logos Stick
Deputy Travis Junior said:

sam callahan said:

Quote:

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

I've been to the Turks and Caicos and 40 or so other countries. Never read up on their gun laws before going, save a hunting expedition in Argentina.

Honestly man, this is pretty stupid. If you're going to mess with either drugs or guns in a foreign country, you sure as **** ought to look at the laws. It's common knowledge that laws on those two items vary greatly from country to country and that the penalties can be penal colony severe.

Griner broke numerous US laws transporting illegal drugs around the country. She did it intentionally.

This guy, not so much.
Decay
AG
Logos Stick said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

sam callahan said:

Quote:

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

Griner broke numerous US laws transporting illegal drugs around the country. She did it intentionally.

This guy, not so much.
I think the bigger point here is don't just trust that you'll be okay when traveling. Do your homework. The US Government won't trade an international arms dealer for you.
RGV AG
AG
I have read this thread off and on, so I don't know if this has been brought up or not.

You all do realize why these countries, especially in the Caribbean and Central America, are so thorough on the outbound inspections?

The reason is the US government pressures the hell out of them to have stern security measures in place for flights going to the US. Airport acreditation and travel advisories and such are tied to their outbound security.

And the US tests them and forces all kinds of measures. I have had big issues in San Salvador and San Jose in the past with something (pocket knife and pair of needle nose pliers) that went through various US airports without being caught. In El Salvador I was detained for over an hour and missed my flight. The guys were really nice and told me the reason that they had to hold me is that they had to get approval from the US to let me board or if they were to detain me.

I had to give my SSN and all kinds of info.

I knew the airport director in Managua real well, and he also told me their security was all about pleasing the gringos. On domestic and inter CA flights security was cursory and Nic citizens with legal fire arms could just give them to the pilots to hold until arrival. This was before the Sandi's took everything back over.

Why do you all think these people didn't get popped coming into the country? Because that security has nothing to do with the Gringo's.

Years ago flying out of Haiti you would go through Haitian security and then another security that was staffed by Americans, it was a huge PIA. Stinkiest airport I have ever been in.

Yet Haiti to the DR? They just glanced at you.

This crap in T&Cs has its origins in DC.
Deputy Travis Junior
Exactly, and ESPECIALLY when involved with guns and drugs.

techno-ag
AG
RGV AG said:

I have read this thread off and on, so I don't know if this has been brought up or not.

You all do realize why these countries, especially in the Caribbean and Central America, are so thorough on the outbound inspections?

The reason is the US government pressures the hell out of them to have stern security measures in place for flights going to the US. Airport acreditation and travel advisories and such are tied to their outbound security.

And the US tests them and forces all kinds of measures. I have had big issues in San Salvador and San Jose in the past with something (pocket knife and pair of needle nose pliers) that went through various US airports without being caught. In El Salvador I was detained for over an hour and missed my flight. The guys were really nice and told me the reason that they had to hold me is that they had to get approval from the US to let me board or if they were to detain me.

I had to give my SSN and all kinds of info.

I knew the airport director in Managua real well, and he also told me their security was all about pleasing the gringos. On domestic and inter CA flights security was cursory and Nic citizens with legal fire arms could just give them to the pilots to hold until arrival. This was before the Sandi's took everything back over.

Why do you all think these people didn't get popped coming into the country? Because that security has nothing to do with the Gringo's.

Years ago flying out of Haiti you would go through Haitian security and then another security that was staffed by Americans, it was a huge PIA. Stinkiest airport I have ever been in.

Yet Haiti to the DR? They just glanced at you.

This crap in T&Cs has its origins in DC.
The screening does. That 12 years in jail nonsense is on them.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.