Over the counter pill available everywhere

3,159 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by C@LAg
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.biospace.com/article/birth-control-market-evolves-as-otc-opill-hits-us-stores/

Quote:

The market for oral contraception is being turned upside-down as Perrigo has begun shipping Opill to thousands of retail stores nationwide, to be sold as the first over-the-counter birth control pill in the U.S.

Opill is a daily tablet that contains 0.075 mg of norgestrel, a synthetic version of progesterone whose efficacy as a contraceptive was first established with the FDA's 1973 approval of Pfizer's Ovrette. Clinical trials showed Opill to be 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken as directed.

Opill includes only norgestrel, a progestin, but no estrogen. Fortune Business Insights reported in 2018 that the majority of those on the pill worldwide chose combined progestin-estrogen options. Combination pills have different risk-benefit profiles than progesterone-only, Spangler said.

According to Statista, in 2022, 15% of U.S. adults who used contraception in the previous month chose oral birth control. But to this point, it has not been available without a prescription.
I saw this the other day in Target. Not sure OTC pill is a good idea. I know it's a knee jerk reaction to sending Roe back to the states, but these can have some blood clotting consequences and other things a woman should talk over with a doctor first, IMO.

Second, only 15% use the pill? I woulda thunk higher.

Oh well. It's a brave new world with OTC birth control pills.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bird Poo
AG
techno-ag said:

https://www.biospace.com/article/birth-control-market-evolves-as-otc-opill-hits-us-stores/

Quote:

The market for oral contraception is being turned upside-down as Perrigo has begun shipping Opill to thousands of retail stores nationwide, to be sold as the first over-the-counter birth control pill in the U.S.

Opill is a daily tablet that contains 0.075 mg of norgestrel, a synthetic version of progesterone whose efficacy as a contraceptive was first established with the FDA's 1973 approval of Pfizer's Ovrette. Clinical trials showed Opill to be 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken as directed.

Opill includes only norgestrel, a progestin, but no estrogen. Fortune Business Insights reported in 2018 that the majority of those on the pill worldwide chose combined progestin-estrogen options. Combination pills have different risk-benefit profiles than progesterone-only, Spangler said.

According to Statista, in 2022, 15% of U.S. adults who used contraception in the previous month chose oral birth control. But to this point, it has not been available without a prescription.
I saw this the other day in Target. Not sure OTC pill is a good idea. I know it's a knee jerk reaction to sending Roe back to the states, but these can have some blood clotting consequences and other things a woman should talk over with a doctor first, IMO.

Screwing with women's hormones is why most of them are in therapy.
The Fife
Why not just use a jimmy wrap?
BBRex
AG
Because 10 out of 10 guys hate them, and probably 5-6 out of 10 guys don't put one on when it counts.
BMX Bandit
Only sailors use condoms
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Only 2 things I don't **** with. Snakes and condoms.
No Spin Ag
El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

Only 2 things I don't **** with. Snakes and condoms.

My man [meme]
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Clinical trials showed Opill to be 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken as directed.

98% effective is a 2% failure rate with better marketing.

You take couples having sex 20 times means 1/3 of these women are going to be pregnant.

Edit for correction
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

I am sure the markets and the lawyers will sort it out.

Looking forward to the legal commercials "Did you get blood clots..."
BonfireNerd04
New York City has proposed to put rats on birth control.

I guess they couldn't figure out how to build rat abortion clinics.
akingery
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Clinical trials showed Opill to be 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when taken as directed.

You take couples having sex 20 times means 1/3 of these women are going to be pregnant.

This is incorrect. The efficacy rate is not the efficacy each time you have sex. It is defined as the percentage of women who will not become pregnant within one year of usage and in this case only considers those who take it as directed. So it is expected that 2 in 100 women who use the drug as directed will become pregnant within one year.
agent-maroon
AG
akingery said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

This is incorrect. The efficacy rate is not the efficacy each time you have sex. It is defined as the percentage of women who will not become pregnant within one year of usage and in this case only considers those who take it as directed. So it is expected that 2 in 100 women who use the drug as directed will become pregnant within one year.
Thank you for the correction. The key to this whole exercise is "when taken as directed". You're still correct, but sex isn't something that works well within a schedule so there are times when you're not using it as directed (especially with condoms). The true pregnancy rate will still be above the published 2% rate.

I've seen many repeat surgical tubal ligations on moms who had just had another baby after their first tubal. The stated failure rate is 1% when counseling for informed consent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

I am sure the markets and the lawyers will sort it out.

Looking forward to the legal commercials "Did you get blood clots..."
I dunno. This is favored activity by the left. I could see lawsuit immunity of some kind passing for pharmaceutical companies, particularly those donating to the right party, making their meds free for certain communities, etc.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Logos Stick
Does anyone think this moves the needle on unwanted pregnancies? I don't.

Can't most females get free BC from PP and other places already?
BlueTaze
techno-ag
AG
Logos Stick said:

Yep. From what I understand, Planned Parenthood always offers the least effective pill in the hopes the woman will get pregnant and seek an abortion with them. Hopefully these new state regs will help put a stop to that in many places.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Logos Stick said:

Birth control pills became freely available in the 1960s. Since then, have the number of unwanted pregnancies increased or decreased? That will be your answer to if this decreases unwanted pregnancies.
AgNav93
AG
BBRex said:

Because 10 out of 10 guys hate them, and probably 5-6 out of 10 guys don't put one on when it counts.
I never minded. It beats solo with a sock.
No Spin Ag
Logos Stick said:

It does for those who aren't on BC, for whatever reason, and they want to make sure they don't get pregnant.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Logos Stick
A Net Full of Jello said:

Logos Stick said:

Birth control pills became freely available in the 1960s. Since then, have the number of unwanted pregnancies increased or decreased? That will be your answer to if this decreases unwanted pregnancies.

I think it is more a question of whether getting an Rx before was the main barrier. I doubt it was. And Obamacare made BC completely free! I'm not seeing this doing much. How many females are having unprotected sex because there is no OTC pill available for purchase? I'd say close to zero.
techno-ag
AG
Logos Stick said:

A Net Full of Jello said:

Logos Stick said:

I think it is more a question of whether getting an Rx before was the main barrier. I doubt it was. And Obamacare made BC completely free! I'm not seeing this doing much. How many females are having unprotected sex because there is no OTC pill available for purchase? I'd say close to zero.
Prescriptions were certainly available via high school and college nurses.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Funky Winkerbean
AG
How many dudes will take them for a DIY transition?
AggieVictor10
AG
****in
BadMoonRisin
AG
techno-ag said:

For those of reproductive age these days, pills are basically ancient.

IUDs, Nuvaring, and the monthly or quarterly shots are all far more common nowadays.
techno-ag
AG
Copper IUDs are a game changer. Set it and forget it. Glad to hear they're getting more popular.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
C@LAg
i follow the rhythm method, set to music.

and my song of choice is Beat It.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.