Coming to a supermarket near you!

7,436 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by oh no
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be fair, it's middle of nowhere Alaska.
BigRobSA
I used to live in Anchorage as a kid. Twice. Elmendorf aFB, specifically.

Really makes you think.
nai06
AG
Sharpshooter said:

Seven Costanza said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this. It must be much higher than it used to be. Those prices are ridiculous.

Not necessarily. It can be a great way to get a lot of views because most people don't know what the prices normally are there. The internet has been loaded with videos of people showing prices in Alaska for many years because it's always shocking. With that said, I'm sure the prices are much higher now than in the past.
Good lord. If it wasn't an issue, I'm sure it would not have been posted.

It's called clout chasing. People do this sort of thing just for the clicks. It's similar to when gas prices are rising and stations report from the Mobil Station across from the Beverly Station in L.A. it's notorious for being a dollar or more higher than anywhere else and not a good representation of overall prices.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

new to the internet I see.
LMCane
Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

FJB no doubt, but isn't everything already more expensive in Alaska due to how remote it is? What were the before prices?
grocery prices are and have always been notably higher in AK than the lower 48. And the farther you get from Anchorage, even more so.

this place is about 300 miles outside anchorage.

Yep. Those prices remind me of when I went to Bermuda in 2019. 2 liter coke was like $6.

That doesn't change the fact that prices are still going up for everyone. I think the people in charge are good with it though, a country where everyone is on food stamps and dependent is what they want.
i did occasional work in Anchorage/Fairbanks on/ff for about 5 years.

Was always a shock that food prices at Fred Meyer were X-amount more than the Fred Meyers in Seattle.

Produce and meats especially.

I hear you. I went on that trip with a friend who grew up there. He told me before we went (for 10 days) that we'd be bringing a whole additional suitcase for food. I thought he was joking. But when I got there I realized that when you're on an overcrowded speck of land 800 miles from anywhere and produce nothing then getting even the basics is painfully expensive. Only place I've ever been to more expensive was Switzerland.

HAWAII
gbaby23
AG
I bet the seafood is cheap
AlaskanAg99
AG
gbaby23 said:

I bet the seafood is cheap

I don't remember it being that way. Usually it's market price.
Logos Stick
nai06 said:

Sharpshooter said:

Seven Costanza said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this. It must be much higher than it used to be. Those prices are ridiculous.

Not necessarily. It can be a great way to get a lot of views because most people don't know what the prices normally are there. The internet has been loaded with videos of people showing prices in Alaska for many years because it's always shocking. With that said, I'm sure the prices are much higher now than in the past.

It's called clout chasing. People do this sort of thing just for the clicks. It's similar to when gas prices are rising and stations report from the Mobil Station across from the Beverly Station in L.A. it's notorious for being a dollar or more higher than anywhere else and not a good representation of overall prices.

oh yeah, just chasing clout, ignore your lying eyes and wallet...

El Gallo Blanco
pfo said:

Prices won't go down. Inflation in the future may go up or down, but that will only affect how much further and faster existing prices go up.
And most companies I know of, at least in my industry, have either been giving no real annual raises, or raises that are dwarfed by the rate of inflation. It's almost as if people do not realize they have been taking significant paycuts the past few years. At some point, more people have got to catch on and the dam has to break.
ttu_85
Birdwatcher said:

Biden is letting the Fed do its job. Trump will fire the fed chair, hire a lackey who will lower rates to zero, thus giving us hyperinflation that will destroy the economy.
Bawhahahah. Go back to watch birds. Clearly economics is way over your head.
nai06
AG
I am not saying prices haven't gone up. I was referring specifically to the video from the OP. I don't think Dillingham AK is a good barometer of prices nationwide.

The person who posted it on twitter pulled it from someone else's TikTok. If you look up JaredJohnson165 on TikTok, you will find that they also pulled it from someone else. Plus when you look at that account, you will not find any original content. It's all reposts and videos ripped from other people's accounts.

Just calling it what it is, clout chasing.
oh no
AG
This seems impossible. Those prices must be fake perpetrated by a clout click chaser because our government, who is here to help, passed the inflation reduction act to spend us out of inflation.
Boiling Denim
These are bake your own bread prices

Maroon Elephant
AG
Y'all better get out grandma's cook books and learn how to bake. The four or five massive companies that own damn near everything you eat now know what Americans are willing to pay, there's no going back at least in the short term.
TexAgs Firestorm Survivor
#NeverForget
Gigem314
AG

richardag
Birdwatcher said:

Biden is letting the Fed do its job. Trump will fire the fed chair, hire a lackey who will lower rates to zero, thus giving us hyperinflation that will destroy the economy.
Wrong. You are under the misconception that this inflation is caused by previously used factors like supply and demand. This inflation is not typical and is really the devaluation of the dollar. Dollar devaluation now because because idiot politicians, mostly dishonest, corrupt and dishonorable Democratic Politicians, are flooding the market with dollars(funny money).

Your share of the debt, assuming you are a wage earner is now exceeds $200,000

ETA: your share as a wage earner is ~ $267,000 and rising fast
US National debt clock
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
JWinTX
For all of you blaming this on Biden, you're all wrong.

This is all on Obama using Biden as his dementia-addled puppet and the moronic VP we have.
Tex117
AG
Stuff in Alaska is always VERY high. Not saying inflation isin't happening and not a problem. It is.

But just sayin...
agwrestler
AG
Sharpshooter said:

Allow Capitalism to do its thing.
This x eleventy. Don't like the price of something, you are not compelled to buy it.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Students at a Missouri high school start their school day with morning hunting, then proceed to butchering and cooking animal carcasses.

At Maysville High School in Maysville, MO, a farm-to-table class has been offered by family and consumer science teacher Amy Kanak and agriculture teacher Brandi Ellis since 2022.

Students learn to hunt, dissect and identify animal organs, process the harvested meat, and prepare it for cooking as part of programs offered by the Missouri Future Farmers of America (FFA) chapter.
Quote:

If students know how to hunt and process a deer, which yields 55 to 70 pounds of processed meat, or prepare a chicken, which averages 70 percent of the meat and skin of its original weight, they may have a much more affordable option.

Students at Maysville High School in Maysville, located an hour's drive north of Kansas City, were already raising livestock, learning to hunt, and assisting their parents on their farms before enrolling in agriculture classes.
LINK

That's one idea.
gonemaroon
AG
Is this video fake? No way that crap is that expensive
Tanya 93
My local gas station sells 8 hamburger buns for 5.29

Supply and demand
C@LAg
Tanya 93 said:

My local gas station sells 8 hamburger buns for 5.29

Supply and demand
that is much less supply and demand than it is economies of scale.

limited selection of items, lower turnover on those items due to much smaller potential customer base/need. costs more, per item to handle as well as their carrying cost until sold.

supply/demand only really comes into play after hours when most grocery stores are closed OR if there is a lack of alternative shopping options nearby
C@LAg
gonemaroon said:

https://www.alaskacommercial.com/flyers

https://shopalaskacommercial.com/product/sub-department-listing/32,56
aezmvp
I get the sentiment but that is also on the other side of the island around the hump. Outside of Barreau there are not going to be that many remote grocery stores. The cost of containers to a place like that has to be nuts.
eric76
AG
C@LAg said:

gonemaroon said:

One of my brothers lived in Alaska for years working as a chopper pilot.

According to him, a lot of foods were hard to get. One in particular was fresh lettuce. He said that they would substitute bean sprouts or alfalfa sprouts (I forget which).
ef857002-e9da-4375-b80a-869a3518bb00@8shield.net
JamesPShelley
aezmvp said:

I get the sentiment but that is also on the other side of the island around the hump. Outside of Barreau there are not going to be that many remote grocery stores. The cost of containers to a place like that has to be nuts.
B a r r o w. Barrow.

richardag
eric76 said:

C@LAg said:

gonemaroon said:

One of my brothers lived in Alaska for years working as a chopper pilot.

According to him, a lot of foods were hard to get. One in particular was fresh lettuce. He said that they would substitute bean sprouts or alfalfa sprouts (I forget which).
During the summer lettuce grown in Alaska get large very large if allowed to before harvesting(due to the looooong days). When we lived there the only bakery went on strike so my mother began baking bread. She would wake us up and allow us to eat a slice of just baked warm bread. Fond memories of Alaska.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Serious Lee
do they at least get cheap whitefish, salmon, and crab legs there?
oh no
AG
Serious Lee said:

do they at least get cheap whitefish, salmon, and crab legs there?
when groceries and condiments are priced that high, you get smoked salmon for breakfast, salmon sandwiches for lunch, grilled salmon for dinner, and salmon pie for desert.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.