Coming to a supermarket near you!

7,420 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by oh no
itsyourboypookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Biden has ushered in hyperinflation.

Will it ever go down?

pfo
AG
Prices won't go down. Inflation in the future may go up or down, but that will only affect how much further and faster existing prices go up.
TxAgPreacher
S
I was told dear leader has inflation under control, and that it is better here than most of the world.
Thunderstruck xx
FJB no doubt, but isn't everything already more expensive in Alaska due to how remote it is? What were the before prices?
C@LAg
Thunderstruck xx said:

FJB no doubt, but isn't everything already more expensive in Alaska due to how remote it is? What were the before prices?
grocery prices are and have always been notably higher in AK than the lower 48. And the farther you get from Anchorage, even more so.

this place is about 300 miles outside anchorage.

Sharpshooter
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Will it ever go down?

FJB.
Sharpshooter
AG
C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

grocery prices are and have always been notably higher in AK than the lower 48. And the farther you get from Anchorage, even more so.

If she is posting it, she is concerned.
Joes
C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

Yep. Those prices remind me of when I went to Bermuda in 2019. 2 liter coke was like $6.

That doesn't change the fact that prices are still going up for everyone. I think the people in charge are good with it though, a country where everyone is on food stamps and dependent is what they want.
C@LAg
Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

Yep. Those prices remind me of when I went to Bermuda in 2019. 2 liter coke was like $6.

That doesn't change the fact that prices are still going up for everyone. I think the people in charge are good with it though, a country where everyone is on food stamps and dependent is what they want.
i did occasional work in Anchorage/Fairbanks on/ff for about 5 years.

Was always a shock that food prices at Fred Meyer were X-amount more than the Fred Meyers in Seattle.

Produce and meats especially.
Joes
C@LAg said:

Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

Was always a shock that food prices at Fred Meyer were X-amount more than the Fred Meyers in Seattle.

I hear you. I went on that trip with a friend who grew up there. He told me before we went (for 10 days) that we'd be bringing a whole additional suitcase for food. I thought he was joking. But when I got there I realized that when you're on an overcrowded speck of land 800 miles from anywhere and produce nothing then getting even the basics is painfully expensive. Only place I've ever been to more expensive was Switzerland.
Sharpshooter
AG
C@LAg said:

Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

The fact is, they needn't be. At least not as high as they were.
Seven Costanza
AG
Those prices are obviously extremely high, but it's hard to put in perspective without a reference to what it was a few years ago, because prices in certain remote areas of Alaska have always been extreme (although they are undoubtedly higher now).
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this. It must be much higher than it used to be. Those prices are ridiculous.
Sharpshooter
AG
Allow Capitalism to do its thing.
C@LAg
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this.
yes. they are picking and choosing an extreme example.

I have no problem with that. I do it all the time when I post my "hahaha Seattle are dumb" posts.

But I can also be honest that that is what I am doing.

no one is denying we have been experiencing ****ty ass inflation for going on 4 years now. everywhere.

but pointing to an extreme outlier, which has always been an outlier, makes for a disingenuous argument.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
C@LAg said:

I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this.

I have no problem with that. I do it all the time when I post my "hahaha Seattle are dumb" posts.

no one is denying we have been experiencing ****ty ass inflation for going on 4 years now. everywhere.

but pointing to an extreme outlier, which has always been an outlier, makes for a disingenuous argument.

Understood. I guess I'm just looking at it with my South Texas frame of mind. Those prices are ridiculous. I understand that hard to get to places are going to have higher prices.
one safe place
C@LAg said:

Be interesting to see the pricing history. Only then can you now how much of an outlier it is.
Birdwatcher
AG
Biden is letting the Fed do its job. Trump will fire the fed chair, hire a lackey who will lower rates to zero, thus giving us hyperinflation that will destroy the economy.
Logos Stick
Birdwatcher said:

Biden is letting the Fed do its job. Trump will fire the fed chair, hire a lackey who will lower rates to zero, thus giving us hyperinflation that will destroy the economy.

Too late. Biden has already destroyed the economy and the US.

Interest on the debt will hit $1.6 trillion this year. That's 40% of total tax revenue.

LoL
Fins Up!
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Huh? Are you taking your crazy pills again?

Seven Costanza
AG

I get what you are saying, but this person obviously found a reason to post a video like this. It must be much higher than it used to be. Those prices are ridiculous.

Not necessarily. It can be a great way to get a lot of views because most people don't know what the prices normally are there. The internet has been loaded with videos of people showing prices in Alaska for many years because it's always shocking. With that said, I'm sure the prices are much higher now than in the past.
Sharpshooter
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Not necessarily. It can be a great way to get a lot of views because most people don't know what the prices normally are there. The internet has been loaded with videos of people showing prices in Alaska for many years because it's always shocking. With that said, I'm sure the prices are much higher now than in the past.
Good lord. If it wasn't an issue, I'm sure it would not have been posted.
eric76
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Will it ever go down?

Inflation, but nowhere near hyperinflation.
ef857002-e9da-4375-b80a-869a3518bb00@8shield.net
eric76
AG
C@LAg said:

Joes said:

C@LAg said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

Cost of Living Ag.

Username checks out.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Thunderstruck xx said:

Yes.
Sharpshooter
AG
eric76 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Will it ever go down?

You are a fuuny man, he, she, it, However, love you.
Seven Costanza
AG
These types of videos in Alaska have been posted for years because they always attract a lot of attention. Here's a post from 2018. $20 a gallon for milk.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0249H9qRrXkCFEEBbJeEUhuZohmzJUHTGCKj3S29kYs29mjQFP8uAAWCof2xk338wil&id=376477915717612
Madman
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Does the Chairman have that power? I thought the position is just the public face of the fed board which makes the actual decisions.
Urban Ag
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Thunderstruck xx said:

Yes.
Almost all perishables are flown up. Air freight much more expensive. Always been this way. When we were kids up there my dad and his friends called $100 bills Alaska 10 spots.
The Kraken
AG
Rural Alaskan town where everything is brought in by ship or plane. There's no road connecting it to Anchorage.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
C@LAg
The Kraken said:

Rural Alaskan town where everything is brought in by ship or plane. There's no road connecting it to Anchorage.
not to mention a population in the CENSUS area (not just the town) or 4850.

There is no automatic relief to the costs to run a grocery there spread out among a larger customer base with higher product turnover. Costs are going to be inflated. Add to that the "remote Alaska" tax, then the increase in shipping costs from the lower 48 to AK, etc etc etc

Not unlike when you go to the convenience store outside a camping area at 2am. But on steroids.
2023NCAggies
Lack of grocery stores in San Fran. What a bunch of dumbasses. Now they want to allow lawsuits? Lol

Eat what you sow

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/san-francisco-proposal-would-allow-lawsuits-over-grocery-store-closures
C@LAg
The Kraken said:

Alaska Airlines used to have one route from SEA to ANC that had 3 intermediate stops I think they were Ketchikan, Juneau, Cordova, Anchorage

A big old 737 that would land at these 2 po-dunk little airports that looked like an outpost of sorts (plus Juneau), mostly to drop off supplies.

If you were willing to deal with the three extra legs over an extra 1-2 hours of flight, it could be fun. Rarely had many passengers since most people hate that many take-offs and landings.
eric76
AG
Sharpshooter said:

eric76 said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Will it ever go down?

You are a fuuny man, he, she, it, However, love you.
Have you no understanding of what hyperinflation even is?

We are suffering from inflation and those responsible should go to prison. But it is nowhere near hyperinflation.

Looking up the definition with Google, we find the wikipedia page which states:
Quote:

In 1956, Phillip Cagan wrote The Monetary Dynamics of Hyperinflation, the book often regarded as the first serious study of hyperinflation and its effects[5] (though The Economics of Inflation by C. Bresciani-Turroni on the German hyperinflation was published in Italian in 1931[6]). In his book, Cagan defined a hyperinflationary episode as starting in the month that the monthly inflation rate exceeds 50%, and as ending when the monthly inflation rate drops below 50% and stays that way for at least a year.[7] Economists usually follow Cagan's description that hyperinflation occurs when the monthly inflation rate exceeds 50% (this is equivalent to a yearly rate of 12,874.63%, so that the amount becomes 129.7463 times as high).[5]

The International Accounting Standards Board has issued guidance on accounting rules in a hyperinflationary environment. It does not establish an absolute rule on when hyperinflation arises, but instead lists factors that indicate the existence of hyperinflation:[8]

The general population prefers to keep its wealth in non-monetary assets or in a relatively stable foreign currency. Amounts of local currency held are immediately invested to maintain purchasing power;
The general population regards monetary amounts not in terms of the local currency but in terms of a relatively stable foreign currency. Prices may be quoted in that currency;
Sales and purchases on credit take place at prices that compensate for the expected loss of purchasing power during the credit period, even if the period is short;
Interest rates, wages, and prices are linked to a price index; and
The cumulative inflation rate over three years approaches, or exceeds, 100%.
In just which recent month has inflation been 50% or more for that month?

Calling our current inflation by "hyperinflation" is nothing but ignorant.
dmart90
AG

She wanted clicks?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.