Grimes county woman faces jail time for late library book

6,724 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ABATTBQ11
itsyourboypookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What Texas law allows this? Any attorney's want to weigh in?

Al Bula
AG
Dill-Ag13
AG
Glad our judicial system is focusing on the right things
TTUArmy
Is this real?

torrid
AG
Rented books from a library?
TTUArmy
torrid said:

Evidently... Never heard of that myself. This woman certainly got the book thrown at her by the Judge. I guess he ran out of real criminals to prosecute.
NateDog
AG
TTUArmy said:

torrid said:

Evidently... Never heard of that myself. This woman certainly got the book thrown at her by the Judge. I guess he ran out of real criminals to prosecute.
tysker
AG
Here in Dallas you could walk out of the Library with $750 or less worth of books and neither security would stop you nor would you be prosecuted if police even bothered to write you a ticket.
bobbranco
AG
Power hungry rednecks.
Texasclipper
AG
While Grimes is rural and I expect they don't mess around, I also suspect there is more to this story than the "I got busy and forgot" being said.

Perhaps they made the judge mad so she is "following the law to the maximum extent"?
itsyourboypookie
Texasclipper said:

While Grimes is rural and I expect they don't mess around, I also suspect there is more to this story than the "I got busy and forgot" being said.

Perhaps they made the judge mad so she is "following the law to the maximum extent"?

Judge is most likely a JP. No law school needed for him or the people before him.

doubledog
torrid said:

I think the "rented" book was a dictionary.
MemphisAg1
AG
I grew up in neighboring Walker County. There used to be a sign on Hwy 30 as you drove toward Aggieland...

"You'll do time for crime in Grimes County"

They don't mess around over there.
zag213004
AG
Al Bula said:

I just knew this would be the first reply
Martin Cash
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Texasclipper said:

Judge is most likely a JP. No law school needed for him or the people before him.

Nope, municipal judge for City of Navasota.

There's a lot of missing information here. Libraries can't issue warrants.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Ellis Wyatt
Martin Cash said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Texasclipper said:

Right. A friend of mine was the judge in a similar story that made national news a few years back. There's always more to the story.
itsyourboypookie
Martin Cash said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Texasclipper said:

Ok. But isn't this a civil matter?
CanyonAg77
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

There's always more to the story.

Especially when there is a Go Fund Me involved
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Especially when library fines are being abolished elsewhere due to muh racism.
Im Gipper
itsyourboypookie said:

Martin Cash said:

itsyourboypookie said:

Texasclipper said:

Ok. But isn't this a civil matter?
City ordinance makes it a crime.

She was given notice in May to return the books and pay the fine, or a warrant would issue.

She did not do so at the time.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/04/01/stay-at-home-houston-area-mother-faces-jail-time-after-arrest-warrant-issued-for-unreturned-library-book/

I'm Gipper
rgag12
AG
Judges like that one are just little women with too much pride and prejudice. I pay my county taxes with great expectations but what I get is a tale of two cities.
CanyonAg77
AG
MooreTrucker
El Gallo Blanco
nvmd
El Gallo Blanco
rocky the dog said:

Martin Cash
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

nvmd

Especially if they ignore something for a year.
Independence H-D
Had a fraternity brother in college who got thrown in jail for essentially not returning movies. A warrant was issued for the movies and he failed to appear.
jrdaustin
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Seems like a stupid ordinance.

That said, per the ordinance, since the book was returned, her maximum penalty should be $353.00.

Not sure where the $570 is coming from, so there must be more to the story. Otherwise, the judge is assesing a penalty beyond the law and creating a 8th amendment scenario.

Again, a totally stupid ordinance that is blowing an overdue library book way out of proportion. It should never go beyond a civil matter. The $60 fee for book replacement is totally adequate. If she doesn't pay it, revoke library privileges. Anything else is excessive.
TexasAggiesWin
S
jrdaustin said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Seems like a stupid ordinance.

That said, per the ordinance, since the book was returned, her maximum penalty should be $353.00.

Not sure where the $570 is coming from, so there must be more to the story. Otherwise, the judge is assesing a penalty beyond the law and creating a 8th amendment scenario.

Again, a totally stupid ordinance that is blowing an overdue library book way out of proportion. It should never go beyond a civil matter. The $60 fee for book replacement is totally adequate. If she doesn't pay it, revoke library privileges. Anything else is excessive.
Im Gipper
I do not believe the book was returned by the date on that notice. That is why there are increased costs.

I'm Gipper
BlueMiles
AG
College Station's library is having "overdue book fine amnesty" right now.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
She should tell them she is undocumented and they will back off.
TRADUCTOR
"You do time for crime in Grimes" The saying fits.

This is like debtors jail.
Ag_0112358132134
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.