Bidenomics: McDonalds with no $1 items on dollar menu

7,738 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jopatura
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

Menu prices skyrocket in Kalifornia with $20 min wage.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/02/us-news/californias-20-fast-food-wage-raises-prices-by-up-to-1-80/
already did that here.

and CA couldn't be bothered to learn anything from us.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Logos Stick said:

Trajan88 said:

An Archie Burger from Archie Burgers in CS was $0.39 ea. in the mid-80s.

I would drive to Archies on Sunday night... get 5 of those burgers and fries and then park my auto at the Fish lot.

Class of 87 here. Archies was the go-to after a hard night of alcohol. I lived off campus in a condo right across the way.
Class of 89 here. I slammed many of those burgers when I lived across Harvey from the mall at the time.
techno-ag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

techno-ag said:

Menu prices skyrocket in Kalifornia with $20 min wage.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/02/us-news/californias-20-fast-food-wage-raises-prices-by-up-to-1-80/

Only at the places that didn't just lay everyone off! Was listening to Ted Cruz yesterday (may have been a few episodes back) and lots of places just canned all of their deliver drivers and are looking at increased automation.

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

FlyRod
Grow a garden, learn to cook. If McDonalds prices get you down, try a little self-reliance.
Lake08
Can we shut up about the increase in price and less food, and worry about the D's not cheating the election?? Getting old, folks
AgsMyDude
AG
nai06 said:

In all reality, I'm surprised $1 menus have lasted this long. I lamented when Arby's got rid of the 5 for $5.95 meal 15-20 years ago. Damn that was a killer deal because you could get any combo of RB sandwich, Arby's Melt, Fries, Mozz sticks, potato cakes, medium drink, and even a turnover I think.

As the great Robert Frost said, "Nothing gold can stay".

Surprised you're still with us
AgsWin2011
AG
I remember after football practice in high school, we would go to McDonalds and get 2 double cheeseburgers, a McChicken and a drink for less than $5 or go to Joe's and get two slices and a drink for $4.

And then me and my friends would all go home and eat dinner with our families.

Getting old sucks. Getting old in the stupid world we live in today sucks even more!
TxAgPreacher
S
I still wanna know what happened to the hot n spicy! The new spicy chicken sandwich taste worse, and is WAAAAY more.

Don't mess with greatness.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Logos Stick said:

Trajan88 said:

An Archie Burger from Archie Burgers in CS was $0.39 ea. in the mid-80s.

I would drive to Archies on Sunday night... get 5 of those burgers and fries and then park my auto at the Fish lot.

Class of 87 here. Archies was the go-to after a hard night of alcohol. I lived off campus in a condo right across the way.
Class of 89 here. I slammed many of those burgers when I lived across Harvey from the mall at the time.

I remember mid eighties $2.00 for cowpie, fries, and iced tea. Great greasy food for a college student who could eat anything.

Miss those days.
one safe place
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

In all reality, I'm surprised $1 menus have lasted this long
Old guy yells at clouds:

In the early 70s, local drive-in sold 6 hamburgers for a dollar.

Or I could get a hamburger and milkshake. Then drive to a dive* of a cafe for a turnover for dessert. All of the above, total of 99 cents, driving on 25 cent/gallon gas.

Inflation does crazy things.

(* Four years of high school, the cook/owner wore the same pair of pants)
Yep, and making $2.41 an hour and we never got overtime.
nai06
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

I still wanna know what happened to the hot n spicy! The new spicy chicken sandwich taste worse, and is WAAAAY more.

Don't mess with greatness.

Which one? The hot and spicy McChicken from McDonald's? It's still around my guy. One of the better chicken sandwiches out there for the price. I've been able to get them basically anywhere in the south the way up to Kansas
TxAgPreacher
S
Really I must not go enough. Last few times it wasn't on the menu and when I tried to ask if they still had it they ended up not understanding me, and selling me the gross new one.
usmcbrooks
Best economy ever.
techno-ag
AG
usmcbrooks said:

Best economy ever.
Bidenomics.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

ts5641
I remember going to McDonald's for lunch my senior year of HS almost every day and getting a burger and fries for less than a dollar.
96AgGrad
AG
There's still one occupation that's inflation-proof.

JamesPShelley
Old Army Metal said:

Agsrback12 said:

Couldn't have anything to do with these cats making $25/hr, can it?

Gas costs less at Buc-ee's than it does by the airport.

Companies are going to charge as much as they think people will pay. They are going to pay as little as they think people will work for. Not a penny less or more. Biden has nothing to do with this.
The **** he doesn't.

Read your final paragraph again. You think the "Companies are going to charge as much as they think people will pay. They are going to pay as little as they think people will work for. Not a penny less or more." bul l**** works when you've ****ing politicians telling companies how much they MUST pay. Reference the $20 an hour fast-food regulation here in Cali. You think Biden didn't inspire that? lol.

You guys. lol.
australopithecus robustus
Restaurants in general have to run a 30% cost of goods or lower to be profitable. A little reverse engineering and it's easy to see why prices are up.

Pretty sure it's damn near impossible now to sell an item that costs +/- 30 cents to achieve $1 on the menu. Even if it's a loss leader at 50 cents cost it would be a heavy lift:

The egregious stuff is really happening in upscale. The $55 steaks I'm seeing on menus suggest a $20 cost on the plate to the customer. If the plate gets sent back because the customer doesn't like the way it's cooked, it's over with making money. That doesn't sound like a fun business to be in lol.
JamesPShelley
AgsWin2011 said:

I remember after football practice in high school, we would go to McDonalds and get 2 double cheeseburgers, a McChicken and a drink for less than $5 or go to Joe's and get two slices and a drink for $4.

And then me and my friends would all go home and eat dinner with our families.

Getting old sucks. Getting old in the stupid world we live in today sucks even more!
I'm finding it easier knowing that the dummies are going to have to live with their choices long after I'm gone... and in the meantime I can tell them to **** off and not worry or care about being canceled or doxxed. lol.
Rex Racer
AG
Quote:

These complaints come as a quarter of consumers who make less than $50,000 a year report eating less fast food.
And this is a bad thing???
techno-ag
AG
Rex Racer said:

Quote:

These complaints come as a quarter of consumers who make less than $50,000 a year report eating less fast food.
It is for McDonalds. That's their big market.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Rex Racer
AG
techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

Quote:

Yes, I know. But it's better for the consumers to not be eating a bunch of crap from McDonald's.
itsyourboypookie
techno-ag
AG
Rex Racer said:

techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

Quote:

Yes, I know. But it's better for the consumers to not be eating a bunch of crap from McDonald's.
I dunno. It's prolly better than the carb and sugar laden stuff they get on food stamps.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

techno-ag
AG
Update: Say hello to the $5 menu.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/10/business/mcdonalds-to-launch-5-meal-deal-to-lure-back-customers/

Quote:

McDonald's is reportedly preparing to launch a $5 meal deal in a bid to lure back lower-income customers who were priced out of the Golden Arches as its menu prices soared to include an $18 Big Mac and a $6 side of hash browns.

The affordable menu offering could either include a McChicken or a McDouble along with fries and a drink, a person familiar with the matter told Bloomberg on the condition of anonymity.

For reference, a McChicken at a McDonald's outpost in Times Square goes for $5.59 for the sandwich alone, which includes a breaded chicken patty, shredded lettuce and mayonnaise.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

captkirk
AG
Old Army Metal said:

Agsrback12 said:

Couldn't have anything to do with these cats making $25/hr, can it?

Gas costs less at Buc-ee's than it does by the airport.

Companies are going to charge as much as they think people will pay. They are going to pay as little as they think people will work for. Not a penny less or more. Biden has nothing to do with this.
Is this the new Two Teas theory?
No Spin Ag
Rex Racer said:

techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

Quote:

For what McDonald's is charging, people can easily go to a restaurant and get a healthier and tastier meal.

McDonald's prices have jumped a great deal, but most restaurants, especially chain ones, haven't as much.
javajaws
AG
I was driving through NM a couple days ago and stopped at a gas station with a Popeyes in it and figured I would grab some chicken strips for the road...

Nope! They wanted $22 for 5 strips. F that I turned around and left!

It will be interesting to see if there is any change in Obesity statistics in a few years...
BadMoonRisin
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Rex Racer said:

techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

Quote:

For what McDonald's is charging, people can easily go to a restaurant and get a healthier and tastier meal.

McDonald's prices have jumped a great deal, but most restaurants, especially chain ones, haven't as much.
Are you serious?
javajaws
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Rex Racer said:

techno-ag said:

Rex Racer said:

Quote:

Username does NOT check out!
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Don't know where you live but not my experience. Pizza Hut, Sonic, Subway and DQ are all way up. So are the local Mexican joints. We were in B/CS not long ago and Outback, On the Border were way up as well, with less and poorer quality food, nearly unedible, in fact.
AggieVictor10
AG
C@LAg said:

maybe the menu items identify as a dollar....

LMAO
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
techno-ag
AG
Update:

https://nypost.com/2024/08/05/opinion/a-second-helping-for-nutso-corrupt-cali-fast-food-law/

Quote:

California's fast-food minimum wage insanity is back for a second helping.

After a law pushed through by Gov. Gavin Newsom added a massive increase in fast-food minimum wages to $20 an hour in April (except for employees of Panera, clearly because a good buddy of the gov's owns a bunch of franchises), things went pretty much as expected.

Prices shot through the roof: Burger King patrons saw a 53% increase on some items, plus a 12% jump on signature item double Whopper meal deals.

Rubio's California Grill closed 38 of 134 locations in May and filed for bankruptcy in June.

Now?

The California Fast Food Workers Union wants another increase, to $20.70.

Give them an inch they take a mile.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Southside AG
AG
Subway now has five dollar snack items. So long to the five dollar footlong. Six inch sandwich and chips was ten dollars, no drink.
jopatura
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Don't know where you live but not my experience. Pizza Hut, Sonic, Subway and DQ are all way up. So are the local Mexican joints. We were in B/CS not long ago and Outback, On the Border were way up as well, with less and poorer quality food, nearly unedible, in fact.

We used to scan all our receipts in. I just pulled up our Dropbox folder from 2015.

Chick-fil-a - 4 ct meal large fries, large Diet Coke
4/16/2015 - $7.29
Pricing in the app today - $11.83

Whataburger - #13 whatasized with a Diet Coke (3 piece chicken strip meal)
4/20/2015 - $6.93
Pricing in the app today - $10.29

McDonald's - 2 hamburgers, large Diet Coke, 3 chocolate chip cookies
8/13/15 - $4.09
Pricing in the app today - $7.66

Popeyes - 5 pc chicken tender meal, 3 pc chicken tender meal, extra biscuit
10/25/2015 - $14.87
Pricing in the app today - $25.67

Our favorite Mexican restaurant ranges from $22-$28 pre-tip in the summer of 2015 (never scanned in itemized). We just paid $52 pre-tip this weekend and we all got waters.

The only one that is the same is Domino's Pizza with their $7.99 carry out special.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.