Den of Degeneracy: Texas A&M's Decline

5,670 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AGZ76
No Longer Subsribed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some new material here, although I've seen discussion of some of this on this board. Alvord, for example. I've really confused though - does the board of regents have any power to control this?

Den of Degeneracy: Texas A&M's Decline
Ellis Wyatt
I would guess, as is the case in most institutions, John Sharp pretty much tells the BOR what they will and won't support. He is the firewall that allows it all to happen and continue.
No Longer Subsribed
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

I would guess, as is the case in most institutions, John Sharp pretty much tells the BOR what they will and won't support. He is the firewall that allows it all to happen and continue.
You're probably right, but who controls Sharp? Does the BOR keep him in office? The buck has to stop somewhere, and I would have thought that with governors named Perry and Abbott who appoint regents we would get a better outcome.
LMCane
man that is pathetic

why aren't graduates raising hell with the administration?!?

if anyone has power here, it's the people shelling out millions of dollars for the football team.
aggieland09
AG
John sharp has allowed this to happen on his watch. BOR are appointed by the governor and I'm not sure how much power they have over individual hires in different departments. I would say the president of the university and department heads need to right the ship. Start by firing looneys who can't keep their personal opinions out of education in the classroom.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
agwrestler
AG
New bar on Northgate?
TexAgs91
AG
Bad Abbott
Reno Hightower
not

another

dime
doubledog
Texas scorecard is not a reliable source.

https://ground.news/interest/texas-scorecard
Gator92
AG
Where did the rest of the money to finance these classes come from?

twk
AG
While I'm concerned about this kind of stuff, you have to remember that Texas Scorecard is an advocacy group that is trolling for donations. With as big as A&M is, it's virtually impossible for us not to have some commies and worthless classes. The question is whether or not the administration is making the situation worse or making it better.
Ellis Wyatt
Shagga said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

You're probably right, but who controls Sharp?
From what I have seen, he is the driver of all of this and has been for years and scores of actions that have harmed your university.

Aggies stand behind him loyally because he is one of you. I do not say that to be insulting or condescending, but because you tend to give each other the benefit of the doubt and I think he has abused that privilege.
EclipseAg
AG
It's likely next to impossible to find professors for these fields today who don't focus on these types of narratives.

Muktheduck
EclipseAg said:

It's likely next to impossible to find professors for these fields today who don't focus on these types of narratives.

If so, that field isn't worth offering a degree track in. The degree certainly won't be worth it for the student
BluHorseShu
AG
twk said:

While I'm concerned about this kind of stuff, you have to remember that Texas Scorecard is an advocacy group that is trolling for donations. With as big as A&M is, it's virtually impossible for us not to have some commies and worthless classes. The question is whether or not the administration is making the situation worse or making it better.
Liberal leaning courses have existed for a long time at TAMU. Likely in smaller numbers but articles like this one just get people worked up without investigating how much of the information is accurate or how it compares to every other institution. If the goal is to have zero liberal courses taught at TAMU, and that is the goal of the state of Texas, and the BOR, then the Chancellor and the school would have no choice but to accommodate that goal.

If someone is looking to blame someone, it needs to include the governors of Texas, the BOR (all within the last 20 years) and the student population for choosing to take the courses. If the demand doesn't exist the courses won't make. So maybe we should also stop admitting students who are inclined to take those courses. That solves the problem pretty quick.

That being said, the school does need to manage their faculty hiring so they aren't imparting their personal politics into classes....whether left or right.
No Longer Subsribed
AG
doubledog said:

That's not really relevant to this article since the author simply reported what was listed in records obtained through an open records request. So, for example, if a document published by the Texas A&M College of Education states that Cultural and Linguistic Diversity "critiques language as a tool for social and cultural oppression," and focuses on how different educations "have contributed to linguicide and culturicide, and forms of social resistance employed to counter dehumanization," and states that they "define linguistic diversity with a minimal focus on language acquisition" then we can rest assured that the document produced by the Texas A&M College of Education describes "Cultural and Linguistic Diversity" with such nonsensical language. If you think that such an area of study is worthy, then state your case.
FlyRod
SB-17 makes it clear that research and teaching on these subjects is permitted, provided actual indoctrination does not occur. The author's use of examples all over the place weakens his case.

Might want to direct your ire at the Texas Senate and the authors of SB-17 specifically if you are upset that courses on these subjects are being taught.
Muktheduck
doubledog said:

Or is that just what you say when you don't want to read things that might cause you some cognitive dissonance?

They've given pictures and links for everything said about the cabal of woke professors they covered. And it's all publicly accessible info.

Scorecard's reliability isn't an issue here
aggie93
AG
I don't like this stuff but this sounds like it is a few profs in Liberal Arts and a few stupid classes. Hell I had one in the early 90s that was right in line with these folks when I had a Philosophy Class I took.

This is a fixable problem and we are starting to make some progress with the elimination of DEI, the momentum seems to finally be going the other way. Alvard has been a problem for years and they need to get rid of him of course along with these classes.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Stonegateag85
Premium members roasted me for calling Sharp a dem.
stetson
AG
A&M created these degree programs so that less educated and less intelligent people could obtain degrees in an effort to increase enrollment of checkbox applicants and become a diploma mill. Now we are reaping what they have sown and A&M has shown little interest in correcting this mistake. Thanks BoR, you rich, myopic, dolts.
TAMU1990
AG
BluHorseShu said:

twk said:

Liberal leaning courses have existed for a long time at TAMU. Likely in smaller numbers but articles like this one just get people worked up without investigating how much of the information is accurate or how it compares to every other institution. If the goal is to have zero liberal courses taught at TAMU, and that is the goal of the state of Texas, and the BOR, then the Chancellor and the school would have no choice but to accommodate that goal.

If someone is looking to blame someone, it needs to include the governors of Texas, the BOR (all within the last 20 years) and the student population for choosing to take the courses. If the demand doesn't exist the courses won't make. So maybe we should also stop admitting students who are inclined to take those courses. That solves the problem pretty quick.

That being said, the school does need to manage their faculty hiring so they aren't imparting their personal politics into classes....whether left or right.
I think if there are a handful of people signed up for these classes, the class will be taught. What we need to know if how much is the university subsidizing these classes to even be taught.
1836er
AG
BluHorseShu said:

twk said:

I agree, in theory, that faculty should not be imparting their personal politics into classes, and in most disciplines that could, in theory, be an attainable goal.

The problem here, unfortunately, is that almost all of these classes and disciplines, and the related critical theories upon which they are based, are by definition nothing more than left-wing politics disguised as academic discourse.

What should happen, is Texas A&M should take the lead in eliminating these disciplines and classes altogether, in favor of a more traditional apolitical curriculum.
schmellba99
AG
FlyRod said:

SB-17 makes it clear that research and teaching on these subjects is permitted, provided actual indoctrination does not occur. The author's use of examples all over the place weakens his case.

Might want to direct your ire at the Texas Senate and the authors of SB-17 specifically if you are upset that courses on these subjects are being taught.
Permitted =/= required

There is nothing that mandates TAMU must have these classes or hire these types of professors. So it's a choice made by the BOR or department heads, as somebody above put it - most likely a financial decision above anything else. Which is sad and crap.

TAMU is no different than any other institution of higher learning - it is dominated by left leaning (or outright radical leftists) in most academic and management positions. The majority of those that teach or manage there have never been outside of the education bubble and have little to no real world experience.
fasthorse05
Ellis Wyatt said:

Speaking of "BOR''s, what was the BOR's support of The Eyes of Texas?.

I fully supported Texas alums on that topic but never knew what the BOR said or voted for.

Like most emotional topics, it was nice it was a hit and run and went away (more or less) in about 8-10 months.
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
APHIS AG
stetson said:

A&M created these degree programs so that less educated and less intelligent people could obtain degrees in an effort to increase enrollment of checkbox applicants and become a diploma mill. Now we are reaping what they have sown and A&M has shown little interest in correcting this mistake. Thanks BoR, you rich, myopic, dolts.
And also to employ "professors" whose degrees are worthless except in "academia", if anyone wants to call it that.
BoDog
AG
And my kids wonder why I am subliminally doing whatever I can to steer them away from A&M. Hell, I am even paying private school tuition for two of them. Will gladly do it for the other two in a few years. Sad because they all grew up wearing maroon and going to countless games at Kyle.
BonfireNerd04
LMCane said:

The biggest problem with conservatives is that we tend to be too busy having jobs to participate in protests.
BonfireNerd04
Quote:

Liberal leaning courses have existed for a long time at TAMU.
True. One of my sophomore advisors in Lechner took a gay and lesbian literature class.
AG
could your average MEEN student these days still go to class, make friends, and hang out at northgate while remaining oblivious to this stuff?
milner79
BonfireNerd04 said:

LMCane said:

The biggest problem with conservatives is that we tend to be too busy having jobs to participate in protests.

Probably for the best: Our protests always seem to degenerate into insurrection. Theirs, on the other hand, are mostly peaceful.
Ellis Wyatt
Stonegateag85 said:

Premium members roasted me for calling Sharp a dem.
Then they're idiots. He's always been a dem. He was in politics. He's a liberal.
Ellis Wyatt
fasthorse05 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Speaking of "BOR''s, what was the BOR's support of The Eyes of Texas?.

I fully supported Texas alums on that topic but never knew what the BOR said or voted for.

Like most emotional topics, it was nice it was a hit and run and went away (more or less) in about 8-10 months.
To my knowledge, it was never addressed by the BOR. Board Chairman Kevin Eltife made clear he stood behind the tradition. It was a bull**** narrative driven by one professor and trumpeted by the Texas Trubune. There was never anything to it.

I do think allowing that to fester was one of the things that made Tom Herman's ouster quick and easy.
The Kraken
AG
Texas Scorecard
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.