Texans pay higher taxes than Californians?

7,485 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Rongagin71
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

bmks270 said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

Here's a numbers I calculated on $200k income, $500k home, and sales tax on $36k of spending a year.

California:$21,873
Texas:$14,398

Apples to apples would be make the Texas income $150k, and the California house 1.7MM

Ok, California tax is then increased to $30,392.
I'll have to dig up my tax returns when I get home but, I just moved from LA to Texas in August and my top line pay decreased but my take home went up.

10% in state income tax gone
Plus the California disability that you have to pay

My 1,250 sq ft house sold for $1.1M (8 days on market, multiple offers, some all cash).
I bought it for $700k back in 2005 so my property taxes were about $10,000/yr.

In the town I lived in, the sales tax was 10.25%
Proponents like to state that you don't pay tax on food.

Vehicle registration expenses
Gasoline prices - $6 in CA compared to $3 in Texas

Pavilions/Vons/Ralph's versus food prices at HEB/Kroger

I haven't bought a house in Texas yet but, we're much better off in Texas.
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kansas Kid said:

I can believe someone with no/minimal income pays less in taxes if you include the prorata share of property taxes paid by a rental owner being passed on. CA also gives a lot of handouts to people that have no income. I think that is a large part of why they have more homeless and very low income people.

That said, for the vast majority of people and especially the most productive in society, CA is way higher. If you are looking for lower taxes, there are better than TX though. The real dream is to be in far southern WA where there is no income tax and then go over the border in OR and buy all your stuff where there is no sales tax. A buddy of my reminds me of how great he has it every time we get together.
I can believe that Cali now has so many poor people with no significant job that they do pay less on average than Texas where, up until the recent mass migration, most people still worked.
This obviously does not mean Cali has a better economy, although everything there is so inflated that a janitor can retire to Texas on his Cali pension.
Meanwhile Texas has not given its retired state employees a cost of living raise in over 15 yrs.
So how much did the Dems just pump into various pension funds that support the Dems? Vast sums,
much of which was paid by Texans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.