Dade County (FL) Teacher's Union on verge of decertification

2,496 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LOYAL AG
aggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The new law passed in Florida requires unions to have 60% Dues paying members and the Largest Teacher's Union in the State is short. They are at 58% and have just a few days to get up to 60% or else they will be decertified.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
****'em.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Pizza
ttu_85
Someone again remind me the last time Trump actually hurt the left. Had to be before 2020.
No Spin Ag
60% seems like a very fair number to get to. If this goes through it'll be a very good feather to put in his cap before the primaries.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
aggiehawg
AG
Forget taking on Disney, small potatoes compared to the teacher's union. One fraught with a lot of political blowback for a Presidential campaign.

While I applaud the effort and support it, the politics of it are very dangerous, in my view.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Who is the last politician that curbed unions?
aTmAg
AG
Why the hell is a state certifying a union at all? Not that it's DeSantis's fault, I assume that's been in place forever.

But what privileges does having a union certified get them? Why not just eliminate union certification altogether?
ABattJudd
AG
aTmAg said:

Why the hell is a state certifying a union at all? Not that it's DeSantis's fault, I assume that's been in place forever.

But what privileges does having a union certified get them? Why not just eliminate union certification altogether?

Since the public schools are state agencies, the union has to be certified to be the collective bargaining agent for the collective bargaining group.

I'm in Lake County (next-door to Orlando). We keep hearing from our union about how they are about to lose their certification as well. Last I heard we were below 50% membership. Fine by me. They keep playing this game that we will never have a contract again. I have no idea what it's gonna look like, when they are no longer the collective bargaining agent, but I also know they have been completely and totally useless.

Funny story: when I first started teaching in 2003, my wife and I were completely broke. We had just moved to Florida from College Station for me to take this job. we were living with her aunt about an hour away from where I worked and went to a couple of months without paychecks since we left our jobs with UCS. On the second day of the new teacher orientation, I knew I had enough gas in my truck to get down to where I need to be, but I did not have enough gas to get back home. The teachers union came and gave their pitch to all of us new teachers and told us that membership was $20 per paycheck but they would cover our first set of dues by paying us $20 cash on the spot to sign up. That was all the convincing I needed because I knew that was gas money to get me back home. I ended up quitting the union later when they kept sending me John Kerry campaign materials.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
FL_Ag1998
AG
Here's the full legislation in reference, and I see notjing in there I disagree with. The fact that the teachers unions were so against this tells me just how crooked they are.

Senate Bill 256

* Prohibits teachers' unions from using government resources to have dues deducted directly from employee paychecks.
* Requires unions to notify members of the costs of membership.
* Requires a union to represent at least 60% of employees increasing from the current 50%.
* Allows state investigations into unions suspected of fraud, waste, and abuse.
* Requires annual audits and financial disclosures for unions.
* Prohibits any union from offering anything of value to a public official in collective bargaining negotiations.
aggie93
AG
Part of the problem for teacher's unions is DeSantis is giving teacher's one raise after another and more and more incentives. They invest in teaching and education there. So it really hurts the sales pitch for the unions when the teachers are already being treated well.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
FL_Ag1998
AG
aggie93 said:

Part of the problem for teacher's unions is DeSantis is giving teacher's one raise after another and more and more incentives. They invest in teaching and education there. So it really hurts the sales pitch for the unions when the teachers are already being treated well.

His efforts really do counteract the b.s. from local school districts. My wife's a teacher so I have my opinions on the matter but I also hear her stories and dealings with the admin and school board (her position at this point is out of the normal classroom, and she does know and interact with the various Superintendents). The Hillsborough County school district is way too big and covers too diverse an area (extreme rural on one end of the county, extreme urban with gang problems on the other end)...busing problem kids at crap schools to what were once good schools as their "solution" to the problem, etc.

Just my IMO, but the union in this area can have some good impacts for teachers but contracts like the ones they agree to also protect ****ty teachers. The whole public school system might be too far ****ed to come back from. And unions contributed a good deal to that situation.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Soros will be there shortly to make sure they clear 60%
akm91
AG
Quote:

busing problem kids at crap schools to what were once good schools as their "solution" to the problem
Happens pretty much all across the country. Saw it when I lived in Winter Garden where kids from Pine Hill (worst neighborhood in Orlando) were bussed into Gotha schools (median household income of $160K). Seeing the same thing in West Plano as well.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
ABattJudd
AG
My big question is this: if the union can't get 60% membership, why aren't they reevaluating their value proposition? I know that's not happening in Lake County. They are just fear mongering about losing their certification. No one in my area is campaigning against them or arguing against joining, but they still aren't making headway.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Sharpshooter
AG
Desantis just earned my vote.
doubledog
Just wait till the "mail in" applications come in,
TRM
AG

DallasAg 94
PCC_80
AG
Quote:

As much as 60% of Miami-Dade public school educators could be withheld from representation after the state's largest teachers union failed to meet membership requirements under state law.
Who wrote this ? ? It makes no sense. Is this supposed to make me to be worried about teachers lack of union representation ? ? ?
LOYAL AG
AG
It really is impressive what DeSantis has done to claw Florida back from the brink of the liberal death spiral. This was a purple at best state when he won the first time. Now you'd have to say it's solid red and in more ways than just election results. The right has generally believed that once a state reaches purple it's lost but he's proving that wrong.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.