Are we happy about General Welsh becoming the next President?

9,501 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by doubledog
Whirligigs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another DEI racist. He needs to be gone yesterday.
one safe place
Looks like he is just the type of trash that would be a better fit at a liberal West Coast or liberal East Coast school.
Ag with kids
AG
I'm sticking with my earlier comment.

I looked at some of his examples and they were probably just the bull**** language that was put in earlier and hasn't been scrubbed. As I said, you can't just change the PD on your own and post it. It has to go through a process that takes weeks.

I'll have to see more than some PDs that haven't had that language removed before I think this guy is a giant lib.

But, feel free to keep on the witch hunt.
AggieKeith15
AG
Ag with kids said:

I looked at some of his examples and they were probably just the bull**** language that was put in earlier and hasn't been scrubbed. As I said, you can't just change the PD on your own and post it. It has to go through a process that takes weeks.

I'll have to see more than some PDs that haven't had that language removed before I think this guy is a giant lib.

I take it you didn't watch the video I linked. He's a true believer, dude. If his words aren't enough look at the policies he implemented at the Air Force Academy with 30% female enrollment quotas.
AggieKeith15
AG
Quote:

...under the leadership of Deborah Lee James and General Mark Welsh, and now Secretary Heather Wilson and General David Goldfein, the United States Air Force has taken huge strides to improve diversity and inclusiveness. The organization has launched thirteen new initiatives aimed at eliminating systemic barriers to diversity, from recruitment to training to promotion. These initiatives are promising steps toward eliminating gender disparity in the ranks, and more can be done.

One of the diversity initiatives the Air Force has undertaken is to mandate unconscious bias training for selection board members who make critical placement and promotion decisions...

https://www.diplomaticourier.com/posts/the-military-and-the-gender-gap-the-air-force-and-equality-as-security-imperative
valvemonkey91
AG
Michael Young 2.0

John Sharp needs to be excommunicated from Texas A&M University. He is the cancer that has metastasized
Ag with kids
AG
AggieKeith15 said:

Ag with kids said:

I take it you didn't watch the video I linked. He's a true believer, dude. If his words aren't enough look at the policies he implemented at the Air Force Academy with 30% female enrollment quotas.
I read the article. So, I wasn't convinced.

I didn't see a video but I'll go back and look if I have time today.
aggie2812-2
AG
Won't change until Sharp is out.
Robert L. Peters
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

4-Star General = entrenched politician.

Yep
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
BluHorseShu
AG
DD88 said:

https://president.tamu.edu/messages/tamus-guidance-on-senate-bill-17.html
Quote:

Texas A&M System Guidance on Senate Bill 17

GENERAL (RET.) MARK A. WELSH III
INTERIM PRESIDENT

September 7, 2023

Members of the Aggie Family,

As you are aware, the 88th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 17 (S.B. 17) during its regular session to prohibit diversity, equity and inclusion offices and initiatives at public universities, effective Jan. 1, 2024. On Aug. 16, The Texas A&M University System approved revisions to System Policy 08.01, which provides the framework for System members' implementation of the requirements of S.B. 17. Since then, the System has released a set of frequently asked questions to further guide the university's implementation of S.B. 17.

As previously shared, the university will ensure full compliance of S.B. 17 by Jan. 1, 2024. We are currently taking the following initial actions:
  • Staff members previously supporting the Office for Diversity have been reassigned, and this office is closed.
  • Hiring practices and required training are being updated, where applicable, to align with official guidance.
  • University policies and related documents are undergoing revisions to ensure compliance.

Does anyone believe him?
Well, these things are happening...So, so far...yes. I guess he could look the other way and let it back slide.
oklacityag75
AG
BluHorseShu said:

SunrayAg said:

DEI is cancer brought upon our society by mentally ill leftards.

He endorses and advocates for DEI.

Draw from that what you will.
I know what he said about the hire...but as far as DEI, I felt he did a great job taking down those things put in place prior and relating to DEI. The offices, job postings, trainings, etc. are all defunct now. Granted, the state requires this, but from what I can see at the university, he's not promoted anything remotely like what was at a time.

That doesn't mean he's not going to hire people on the left (or perceived that way) if they add value to the university.

And I did get on the receiving in of DEI years ago when I was competing for position that went to a diversity applicant (and was ultimately told as much). So I'm no fan. But things have gotten incrementally better and I've not seen anything from Welsh to indicate otherwise.

I think he's an honorable man and I'm willing to give him time before I make any knee jerk opinions.
Read this, it will confirm he ordered the opposite of Gov Abbot's law.....

https://www.theblaze.com/columns/opinion/texas-am-defies-diversity-bans?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20231115SponsoredTrending-RevelationMedia&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News
John 14:6
Jaster
AG
Opinion piece crom PJMedia:

https://pjmedia.com/miltharris/2023/11/16/enforcing-agenda-over-law-n4923963
FlyRod
oklacityag75 said:

BluHorseShu said:

SunrayAg said:

I know what he said about the hire...but as far as DEI, I felt he did a great job taking down those things put in place prior and relating to DEI. The offices, job postings, trainings, etc. are all defunct now. Granted, the state requires this, but from what I can see at the university, he's not promoted anything remotely like what was at a time.

That doesn't mean he's not going to hire people on the left (or perceived that way) if they add value to the university.

And I did get on the receiving in of DEI years ago when I was competing for position that went to a diversity applicant (and was ultimately told as much). So I'm no fan. But things have gotten incrementally better and I've not seen anything from Welsh to indicate otherwise.

I think he's an honorable man and I'm willing to give him time before I make any knee jerk opinions.

https://www.theblaze.com/columns/opinion/texas-am-defies-diversity-bans?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20231115SponsoredTrending-RevelationMedia&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

I read The Blaze piece. The author, Scott Yenor, claims that the candidate search for the Bush School asks for a cover letter that includes "diversity efforts." The link to the ad the author provides in the article contains no such request. Maybe the others do, but after that credibility lapse I didn't bother to check.
agent-maroon
AG
I get on my knees and pray
We dont get fooled again

Meet the new boss.
Same as the old boss.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag with kids
AG
FlyRod said:

oklacityag75 said:

BluHorseShu said:

SunrayAg said:

I read The Blaze piece. The author, Scott Yenor, claims that the candidate search for the Bush School asks for a cover letter that includes "diversity efforts." The link to the ad the author provides in the article contains no such request. Maybe the others do, but after that credibility lapse I didn't bother to check.
Yeah...I read that article and checked out a few of his links. They had standard boilerplate language that was probably tossed in awhile back and hasn't been scrubbed out of the standard PD. And you can't just change them yourself and repost them...changing them requires a process that takes weeks. It's a PITA. I know since I've submitted a number of these for TAMU-CC.
sharpdressedman
Article from The Texas Minute" on 10/31/23 tells a troubling story about Welsh and his very aggressive commitment to DEI:

https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-ams-interim-president-historically-promotes-dei/

From the article:

As dean (of the Bush School) in 2016, Welsh gave a speech on diversity where he advised students to "Interview everybody with an open mind, and in my view, ties go to diversity."

"There's a risk in that, a personal risk you'll have to accept, but I encourage you to accept that," said Welsh. "I've never regretted it for a second."

Welsh told the audience that as Air Force Chief of Staff, he wanted to "up the number of women in the next class that came into the Academy by eight percentfrom 22 percent to 30 percent."
Quote:

Four years later, I left the job. They're still not there. Not because nobody wants to go there, everybody wants to go there, but all the rules say you can't establish quotas, you can't set goals, you can't use numbers," said Welsh. "All the lawyers fought us. It took two and a half years before we made any progress at all and then we only made it because I signed a memo saying we're going to do it and you can try me later.

Mark Welsh on DEI in 2023
"I think we've weaponized the acronym DEI," Welsh told the A&M Faculty Senate in August.
"I think Dr. McElroy would have been a great hire for the journalism department," he added.

A new state law is set to take effect on January 1 that requires public colleges and universities to disband their DEI departments and dissolve any internal DEI programs for hiring or employee training.

However, Welsh said he wouldn't have supported such a law. "I don't believe it's beneficial to where we are trying to go long-range as a society."

Welsh has been instrumental in DEI advocacy in the Bush School, hosting the first-ever "Diversity Town Hall" in 2021. He chaired the Bush School's DEI Committee and was involved in instituting "mandatory DEI trainings for students, additional mandatory training for faculty and staff, and creation of a new internal incident reporting mechanism for behavior that doesn't rise to the level of the University's existing Stop Hate program."

"In my world, diversity is strength, equity builds trust, and inclusion is an imperative. And so that's where we need to go," said Welsh.

Welsh also informed the Faculty Senate of his plan for fielding regents' calls:
Quote:

I'll just tell you that if a regent calls me and says, 'Hey, I really am worried about this,' I'll say 'Thank you for the call.' But I'm not going to call the department head and tell them who to hire.

Texas A&M did not respond to Texas Scorecard's request for comment before publication.

I find this to be extremely troubling. Clearly Welsh is a DEI activist. I see that Sharp has recommended him to the regents as the sole candidate for President. I am visualizing a TAMU train wreck about to happen.

mjschiller
AG
Welsh is a wolf in sheep's clothing. A "turncoat". A supporter of obama. That all you need to know.
Marvin J. Schiller
Old Sarge
AG
Welsh is DEI poison.

Do not support him, and thwart him until he quits in shame or exhaustion.
Green is the new RED.
LMCane
why don't the alumni of the institution go back to the President

and stop donating $78 million to a fired football coach if this guy sucks?

you put your money where your mouth is- and what A&M quite obviously says every day is that trying to win a football game is more important than the actual leadership of the student body.
sharpdressedman
It appears that Sharp and the Regents are strong proponents of DEI, in spite of the Texas legal mandate to eliminate the associated supporting administrative infrastructure on all state university/college campuses. Welsh's history clearly indicates he is not only willing but eager to aggressively implement DEI concepts, regardless of restrictions against them (See his Air Force Academy related statement quoted in my post above.)

Welsh's appointment is another gain for strengthening progressive ideology at TAMU. Just like in the federal government, the leftists have the power to impose their will, and any opposition is crushed.

I see no path for this action to support conservatism on our campus or for it to take the university in a direction deemed favorable by a great majority of the alumni. JMO.

AggieKeith15
AG
We need to take down Sharp apparently. He's the one making all of these problems.
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm confused by the "and accountability" part of DEI. Accountability is a hinderance to DEI. Does the accountability mean that we must be accountable for the actions of our great great great great great great great great grandparents and submit to DEI rule?
sharpdressedman
AggieKeith15 said:

We need to take down Sharp apparently. He's the one making all of these problems.
I agree with your assessment. I am acquainted with two of the Regents and they advise that TAMU is totally Sharp's fiefdom and Abbott strongly supports him. Moreover, change is far from likely in the near term because Sharp and Abbott control the selection/appointment of the Regents.
one safe place
Welsh is a four-star general and a ten-star POS.
Tibbers
The fact that there is zero recourse from former students shows how this is a completely broken system. There isn't a referendum possible on his position? Amazing. He really is a king. Pathetic.
AggieKeith15
AG
BCG Disciple said:

I'm confused by the "and accountability" part of DEI. Accountability is a hinderance to DEI. Does the accountability mean that we must be accountable for the actions of our great great great great great great great great grandparents and submit to DEI rule?

Accountability means not allowing too many pale and masculine faces around when it is a position of power.

Unless it's digging a ditch or being on the front lines in battle. Accountability will never exist there.

That kind of accountability.
damiond
did the left get one over on the alumni association by getting rid of the dei journalism director and then installing a more heavily dei president instead
TheGreatEscape
You people who were born white are terrible people. Your privilege and heritage makes you deserve what you are getting. If I were you, I wouldn't leave it up to the education systems to teach your children this. I would reinforce it at home that when it comes to a so-called tie (which doesn't exist) that you shouldn't be hired over minorities because you were born white.
policywonk98
AG
Personally I think all of the information in Texas Scorecoard deserves serious consideration, but I also don't see evidence of DEI extremism.

I my opinion DEI extremism is the tossing out of merit and replacing it with diversity at all costs. Including potentially taking a hit on products, services, or quality of applicant pool, etc.

He seems to very clearly articulate that if all things were equal among two applicants then diversity would come into play for him as a hiring manager.

I don't find that offensive. If I had two final applicants and they were equal, my default would be, which applicant will be a net benefit to the dynamic of the team they will be on. Will they fit into the culture of the team. And for me that wouldn't mean the color of their skin, it would mean their personality type, their temperament, to the extent one has been on display in the hiring process. That's just me. You throw someone into any team that wouldn't mesh well with the team and you destroy the team and by extension the teams outcomes.

Now, if he's suggesting that the government or any institution that holds power over hiring practices, forces every hiring manager to consider DEI above merit, that's a big problem.

But in my opinion it's more helpful to call for a public discussion on this issue. In this context, for the benefit of Texas A&M. And instead of calling for a candidate to be forced out, why not force the university into a public discussion of competing ideas on these issues. That's what a university is for.

Do I think the progressive faculty will play nice in this circumstance. Of course not. But it doesn't mean you don't still call for debate and discussion around these important issues.

And for me, these statements being reported are not definitive of extremism as I would define it. Simply a position on hiring matrix that I think does not consider the health of a team or department in the right way.

While we are at, people like Welsh should have their feet put to the fire on diversity of thought. Is that a consideration for the university, if not, why not. If yes, give us examples where that has actually happened. Who has been hired in order to give a department a more well rounded representation of worldviews.

AggieKeith15
AG
Arbitrarily forcing female enrollment from 22% to 30% is extreme and requires marxist doctrine to justify.

Keep in mind, there are only 21% women serving in the Air Force....

So you're wrong. He's a progressive leftist or worse a spineless sell out that will usher in marxist racism because people like Obama tell him to.

Ag with kids
AG
sharpdressedman said:

AggieKeith15 said:

I agree with your assessment. I am acquainted with two of the Regents and they advise that TAMU is totally Sharp's fiefdom and Abbott strongly supports him. Moreover, change is far from likely in the near term because Sharp and Abbott control the selection/appointment of the Regents.
Interesting since the Regents are above Sharp on the org chart...
FTAG 2000
AG
policywonk98 said:

Personally I think all of the information in Texas Scorecoard deserves serious consideration, but I also don't see evidence of DEI extremism.

I my opinion DEI extremism is the tossing out of merit and replacing it with diversity at all costs. Including potentially taking a hit on products, services, or quality of applicant pool, etc.

He seems to very clearly articulate that if all things were equal among two applicants then diversity would come into play for him as a hiring manager.

I don't find that offensive. If I had two final applicants and they were equal, my default would be, which applicant will be a net benefit to the dynamic of the team they will be on. Will they fit into the culture of the team. And for me that wouldn't mean the color of their skin, it would mean their personality type, their temperament, to the extent one has been on display in the hiring process. That's just me. You throw someone into any team that wouldn't mesh well with the team and you destroy the team and by extension the teams outcomes.

Now, if he's suggesting that the government or any institution that holds power over hiring practices, forces every hiring manager to consider DEI above merit, that's a big problem.

But in my opinion it's more helpful to call for a public discussion on this issue. In this context, for the benefit of Texas A&M. And instead of calling for a candidate to be forced out, why not force the university into a public discussion of competing ideas on these issues. That's what a university is for.

Do I think the progressive faculty will play nice in this circumstance. Of course not. But it doesn't mean you don't still call for debate and discussion around these important issues.

And for me, these statements being reported are not definitive of extremism as I would define it. Simply a position on hiring matrix that I think does not consider the health of a team or department in the right way.

While we are at, people like Welsh should have their feet put to the fire on diversity of thought. Is that a consideration for the university, if not, why not. If yes, give us examples where that has actually happened. Who has been hired in order to give a department a more well rounded representation of worldviews.

Here's the problem. When Obama appointed him to his position in the Air Force in 2012, he proceeded to purge all conservative generals and replace them with lefties who also ushered in purity tests for the Democrats for promotions, as well as initiated the start of what would eventually become DEI, focusing on minorities over merit.

He'll do the same here.
EX TEXASEX
There are 2 threads and not sure which one is the main one. So I will ask on both. I see you Ag's current President is and I see below he was a general in the army. I'm just curious. What is his current rank in the PLA ??

GENERAL (RET.) MARK A. WELSH III

INTERIM PRESIDENT
#FJB
45-70Ag
AG
doubledog
I am open to see what he will do. On an administrative level he is miles ahead of Banks, so that is a good thing.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.