SCOTUS to review Trump ATF's bump stock ban!

3,862 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Ulysses90
Im Gipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great news for 2nd Amendment!

(yes, 2nd Amendment, despite what one poster said about "you can't shoot a bump stock")

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-review-trump-era-ban-gun-bump-stocks-rcna121466

I'm Gipper
Rapier108
I fully expect it to be upheld 5-4 or 6-3 with Roberts, Kavanaugh, and/or Barrett siding with the libs.

Same outcome if the pistol brace case makes it there.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
notex
AG
The very possibility of good news on any front right now is exciting.
Pizza
What if I call it a Jolt Support? Does that make it ok?
Tea Party
Great news. Let's hope it gets overturned.

Trump was/is an idiot for letting it get to this point.
tk111
AG
So the timing of this means we should expect to see the brace rule make it to SCOTUS in about 5 more years.

The totalitarian left knows how to play the red tape game.
tk111
AG
Pluralizes Everythings said:

What if I call it a Jolt Support? Does that make it ok?

Just dont call it 'the shoulder thing that goes up', that's been claimed.
deddog
AG
tk111 said:

So the timing of this means we should expect to see the brace rule make it to SCOTUS in about 5 more years.

You know this but

Never comply
bonfarr
AG
Already overturned in Texas right?
Ag_of_08
AG
tk111 said:

Amusingly it's through "conservative" republicans.
Im Gipper
Oral Argument on this one is today! 7-2 coming up!

I'm Gipper
BMX Bandit
if any other psychos listening in, if that voice arguing on behalf of cargill sounds familiar, that is jonathan mitchell, who argued for trump in the colorado ballot case
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Jackson is dumb
Muy
AG
Remember when all liberals were experts and talked about bump stocks non-stop?

Almost like they lost interest after the media reprogrammed them to be upset about the next thing.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Jackson- I need a reason, other than the plain language of the law, to apply the law as written.
BMX Bandit
listening in the background, funny to hear these justices with little to no shooting experience try to answer this:

Quote:

Whether a bump stock device is a "machinegun" as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b) because it is designed and intended for use in converting a rifle into a machinegun, i.e., into a weapon that fires "automatically more than one shot * * * by a single function of the trigger."
RK
AG
Quote:

into a weapon that fires "automatically more than one shot * * * by a single function of the trigger."
yup. and anyone who has ever used one knows that it clearly does not perform the function described above. not even a little bit.
BigRobSA
RK said:

Quote:

into a weapon that fires "automatically more than one shot * * * by a single function of the trigger."
yup. and anyone who has ever used one knows that it clearly does not perform the function described above. not even a little bit.

Reality and facts have NO place here, sir. None.
Mr Mojo Risin
AG
KBJ's outrageous claim

800 rounds per second???

And Soto wondering about arthritis and the second amendment.

Thank goodness we have such informed folks on the SC.
America was built on speed, hot, nasty, badass speed.
Im Gipper
Quote:

Held: ATF exceeded its statutory authority by issuing a Rule that classifies a bump stock as a "machinegun" under 5845(b). Pp. 619. (a) A semiautomatic rifle equipped with a bump stock is not a "machinegun" as defined by 5845(b) because: (1) it cannot fire more than one shot "by a single function of the trigger" and (2) even if it could, it would not do so "automatically." ATF therefore exceeded its statutory authority by issuing a Rule that classifies bump stocks as machineguns. P. 6.
6-3 victory!

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/22-976_e29g.pdf

Justice Thomas with another excellent 2nd Amendment opinion.

I'm Gipper
jt2hunt
AG
Rapier108 said:

I fully expect it to be upheld 5-4 or 6-3 with Roberts, Kavanaugh, and/or Barrett siding with the libs.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Muy
AG
Good ruling! Allowing the left to decide that an apple is an orange and make laws around that is a slippery slope we can't let happen.
Elder_LarryII
Rapier108 said:

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Swing and a miss per usual
fc2112
How can this be? On the news last night, they showed a bump stock being used in slow motion that looked so scaaaary!
BigRobSA
"shall not be infringed. "

Clear and concise language.

Now, onto the hundreds of other infringements.
Kansas Kid
Not really a second amendment victory. It was a statutory interpretation victory. The opinion includes comments that Congress could change the law to outlaw bump stocks.
Rapier108
The fact that you're back to troll with your 50th account is rather sad.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
GeorgiAg
AG
I haven't read the opinion, but what effect will this have on Wide Open Triggers and the Glock Switch?
BigRobSA
Kansas Kid said:

Not really a second amendment victory. It was a statutory interpretation victory. The opinion includes comments that Congress could change the law to outlaw bump stocks.

That would be unconstitutional and I'd hope this SC would act, in haste, to kill that stupidity
Rapier108
GeorgiAg said:

I haven't read the opinion, but what effect will this have on Wide Open Triggers and the Glock Switch?
Since the Glock switch allows the gun to fire actual full auto, not just rapid trigger pulls, this ruling shouldn't have any effect on that.
Mathguy64
AG
BigRobSA said:

Kansas Kid said:

That would be unconstitutional and I'd hope this SC would act, in haste, to kill that stupidity

Not really. Full on machine guns aren't illegal. Just very expensive and complicated to get. If Congress added bump stocks and triggers to that class, Alito is signalling that would be legal. It's just not the ATFs place to do that.

Hopefully this is a signal that Congress is going to be put on the spot to do their job and not just let federal agencies make stuff up on their own with no oversight.
Kansas Kid
BigRobSA said:

Kansas Kid said:

If you take the shall not be infringed as absolute, do you allow citizens to arm themselves with nukes, M1A1s, Bazookas, etc since the second amendment is the right bear arms and not guns and all of the above are armaments?

I think there will always be a line drawn as to what is allowed by the SC and politicians on both sides of the aisle because I doubt many people want Bill Gates with a nuke. I have no idea where the line would be drawn by the this court as to what is constitutional and what isn't.
BigRobSA
Mathguy64 said:

BigRobSA said:

Kansas Kid said:

Not really. Full on machine guns aren't illegal. Just very expensive and complicated to get. If Congress added bump stocks and triggers to that class, Alito is signalling that would be legal. It's just not the ATFs place to do that.

Hopefully this is a signal that Congress is going to be put on the spot to do their job and not just let federal agencies make stuff up on their own with no oversight.

"Shall not be infringed."

Not "Okay, just a little infringement."

This is one area where, for obvious reasons, the FFs were very clear.
GeorgiAg
AG
Rapier108 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Since the Glock switch allows the gun to fire actual full auto, not just rapid trigger pulls, this ruling shouldn't have any effect on that.
The WOT and other auto reset triggers should be legal though.
Ellis Wyatt
Kansas Kid said:

BigRobSA said:

Kansas Kid said:

If you take the shall not be infringed as absolute, do you allow citizens to arm themselves with nukes, M1A1s, Bazookas, etc since the second amendment is the right bear arms and not guns and all of the above are armaments?

Sounds good. The 2nd Amendment was for citizens to be able to protect themselves for an oppressive government.

In case you haven't been paying attention, there are many in the government currently who want to strip us of our rights and do not believe in the Constitution.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.