Jim Jordan is out. Who's next?

7,165 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Watermelon Man
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.wsj.com/video/rep-jim-jordan-loses-third-vote-for-house-speaker/80B06B8C-3E6F-4881-A84E-EFF116ADD8E6.html

Quote:

Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio lost his third bid to become speaker of the House on Friday. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the previous speaker, was ousted more than two weeks ago.
OK - who's next?
unimboti nkum
AG
Lol
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Rapier108
Whoever it is, it won't matter.

The Assistant Democrats won't vote for a strong conservative.

The Gaetz Kamikazes won't vote for anything who anyone who isn't a strong conservative.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FCBlitz
Call your Republic congressman and tell them to support Jakeem Jeffries. Screw it….let the whole place burn. Let WWW3 cull the weak.
rgag12
AG
The temporary speaker will remain the speaker until 2024.

In 2024 the GOP will make the temporary speaker the permanent one just because it's the easiest solution and with only a 4 seat majority you can't get much done anyway.
AC Hopper
S
FCBlitz said:

Call your Republic congressman and tell them to support Jakeem Jeffries. Screw it….let the whole place burn. Let WWW3 cull the weak.
If the House Republican Conference screws the pooch one more time on Monday, Jeffries very well may be the next SPOH.

Logos Stick
Rapier108 said:

The Gaetz Kamikazes won't vote for anything who anyone who isn't a strong conservative.

Refresh my memory. How did McCarthy get the position without the Geatz Kamikazes voting for him?
Logos Stick
You'd love that Marxist as speaker, wouldn't you?
Malibu
1. McHenry gets the power to bring legislation to keep the social security checks printed and the arsenal of democracy humming along.

2. A moderate GOP member is elected in a grand coaltion that shares power with both parties We all hold hands and sing Kumbayah.

3. 4 GOP members tap out or switch sides and we get speaker Jeffries.

My guess is #1.
aggiehawg
AG
Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

Refresh my memory. How did McCarthy get the position without the Geatz Kamikazes voting for him?
15 votes. On the last one some Dem reps voted present, changing the math. Gaetz voted for McCarthy. Part of the deal Pelosi reportedly had with McCarthy.
Rapier108
Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

They did, after 15 attempts, and then Gaetz decided to blow it all up.

He likes to claim it was because McCarthy didn't keep his promise with the 45 day spending bill. However, that bill passed only after Gaetz and company voted against a spending bill with 8% cuts across the board for most things, so he torpedoed a good bill to ensure a bad one passed that he could then blow up over.

Also, Gaetz wanted McCarthy to end the Ethics Committee's investigation of him, and McCarthy refused so there is likely something more personal involved.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Mary Bailey
aggiehawg said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

15 votes. On the last one some Dem reps voted present, changing the math. Gaetz voted for McCarthy. Part of the deal Pelosi reportedly had with McCarthy.
Pretty sure it was Republicans who voted present.
TA-OP
Mary Bailey said:

aggiehawg said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

It's also worth remembering that McCarthy got some of those final votes by agreeing to change the rules to force a vacate vote from a majority as under Pelosi to a single vote.
txaggieacct85
AG
somone please explain this to me. How did he get voted off the island?

I assume only certain GOP members were able to vote?
dvldog
AG
Are you asking about McCarthy?
txaggieacct85
AG
dvldog said:

no this recent Jordan vote to remove him from the ballot
GeorgiAg
AG
Next R nominee:

dvldog
AG
Ah. Most of the republicans voted, and it wasn't close. Those that didn't vote/weren't there wouldn't have changed the outcome.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/house-gop-drops-jordan-as-speaker-nominee

Quote:

GOP lawmakers voted to drop Jordan as their nominee in a new secret ballot, reportedly by a 86-112 tally, in a Republican conference meeting on Friday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4266463-house-republicans-set-to-try-again-to-break-speaker-stalemate-live-coverage/

Quote:

Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Penn.) credited the secret ballot with tanking Rep. Jim Jordan's (R-Ohio) Speakership bid.

"I think that the idea of having a secret ballot really made it possible for those people that didn't want their people back home to know who they voted for or who they didn't vote for," said Kelly, who refused to support Jordan.

"When you go to the secret ballot, then all of a sudden well nobody's ever gonna know. All the totals, I think, were surprising. It was overwhelming," he added.
TA-OP
txaggieacct85 said:

dvldog said:

no this recent Jordan vote to remove him from the ballot
The entire GOP caucus held a closed door, secret ballot and Jordan did not receive a majority.
annie88
AG
They're coward ****s.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
unimboti nkum
AG
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
GeorgiAg
AG
unimboti nkum said:

Greatest speaker the world will have ever known. Every bill passed immediately while he singlehandedly fights Hamas and Putin in his spare time. Also while he becomes MVP of the NBA and designs a rocketship to Mars.
rgag12
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Next R nominee:

He'd be wonderful, he'd never talk
TA-OP
unimboti nkum said:

He probably already put Speaker on his resume months ago.
Malibu
annie88 said:

They're coward ****s.
I agree. No more closet normies. Stand up and be counted amongst the rational class.
FJB24
The next actual speaker with the power to get anything done will be Pelosi or Jeffries.

It's all just so pathetic.
No Longer Subsribed
txaggieacct85 said:

somone please explain this to me. How did he get voted off the island?

I assume only certain GOP members were able to vote?
If you are referring to Jordan, it's because he's all tough talk and BS that gets him the MAGA support, but turns off the rest of the caucus. For example, in an effort to win over some moderate Dems, Jordan offered to negotiate away Trumps single biggest tax policy achievement - the cap on SALT deduction that sticks it to blue states. Also his MAGA supporters organized an email push campaign that caused (who would have guessed) non supporters to receive death threats. But mostly it's the rest of the caucus' desire to avoid giving a victory to Gaetz, who they correctly loath. Bottom line: The Gaetz team thinks everybody agrees with them. Instead, Dems control the presidency, the Senate, and are barely out of power in the House. And this is largely thanks to MAGA in the last election, when the Republican wave turned into a limp d*ck because MAGA turned off everybody but the extreme right. And I am saying this as someone who has been considered to be on the extreme right for all my life.

Edit: I just read that The eight House Republicans who voted wto oust McCarthy released a letter today saying they were "prepared to accept censure, suspension or removal" to accomplish the objective of electing Jordan as speaker. So these 8 aligned with Dems to get what they want, like the whiny b**ches they are. Here's a clue for the 8 - why do you think the Dems voted with you? Because they wanted to end up with someone even more likely to get them what they want. Gaetz and his fellow morons, like Mace who thinks with her chest, gave the Dems a victory.
Rockdoc
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Next R nominee:

Another slow workday? Hang in there.
GeorgiAg
AG
Rockdoc said:

GeorgiAg said:

Next R nominee:

Another slow workday? Hang in there.
After a 3 day arbitration, I'm worn out.
TexAgs91
AG
Mary Bailey said:

aggiehawg said:

Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

If they were present they'd vote on Speaker of the House
MouthBQ98
AG
Jeez, as long as the speaker is in your half of the spectrum, it's just not all that important who it is. What they do is basically dictated by circumstances and politics regardless of who the warm body is…
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah traffic tickets can be bears! Lol
LMCane
Rapier108 said:

"isn't part of the Trump grift train"

I fixed it for you.

there are probably 100 true conservatives who voted for McCarthy and Scalise.
aggieforester05
AG
AC Hopper said:

FCBlitz said:

If the House Republican Conference screws the pooch one more time on Monday, Jeffries very well may be the next SPOH.

Any Republican that votes for a degenerate POS corrupt Democrat should be thrown to the wolves and primaried as soon as possible. That is downright treason at this point.
BusterAg
AG
Logos Stick said:

Rapier108 said:

McCarthy promised:

1) Not to bring omnibus bills to the floor, and focus on single item appropriations bills.
2) To look into Hunter Biden
3) To release footage of Jan 6th

These promises were used to secure the votes he needed to be speaker in the 23rd!! round of voting.

He broke those promises.

He's out.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.